Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2023, 03:31 PM

33 posts, read 37,740 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My name is Ikechukwu Okereke, and I am a member of the Syracuse Flag Committee, a citizen-led commission that is currently conducting a public redesign process (known as the Syracuse Flag initiative) for the city flag of Syracuse, NY.

I am reaching out to you all today to invite you to submit flag designs for this competition. Like many municipalities in recent years such as Pocatello, Idaho, Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, we have started to work on this process because of, as Roman Mars noted in a 2015 TED Talk, is that the flag is poorly designed, unable to serve as an interesting and distinctive symbol of the city's history, culture, geography, and society at large.

If you are interested on working on a flag design yourself, here are some helpful resources that you can use. The North American Vexillological Association, a major organization on vexillology (the study of flags) and vexillography (the art and practice of designing flags), has published a pamphlet authored by vexillologist Ted Kaye titled Good Flag, Bad Flag. It lists five principles for good flag design, which are:

1. Keep It Simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.

2. Use Meaningful Symbolism. The flag's images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes.

3. Use 2 or 3 Basic Colors. Limit the number of colors on the flag to three which contrast well and come from the standard color set.

4. No Lettering or Seals. Never use writing of any kind or an organization's seal.

5. Be Distinctive or Be Related. Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections.

Additionally, we have provided statements on our website, www.syracuseflag.com, that you could use to base your design's symbolism on. They are:

Syracuse, New York is a city of 26 neighborhoods in Central New York.

Perhaps best known for its snowy winters, Syracuse boasts of a hardworking, diverse, and resilient history.

Syracuse was incorporated as a Village in 1825 and a City in 1848 on the homeland of the Onondaga people, one of the five nations of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy.

While sharing a name with the local University, Syracuse is more than one organization and is home to a wide collection of employers, cultures, and traditions.

While the history of Syracuse includes a legacy of division, conflict, and racism, the city is working towards an equitable future for all peoples.

Syracuse will be a growing city that embraces diversity and creates opportunity for all.

Again, anyone can submit, including non-residents, but additional weight will be given to submissions from city residents. Submissions can be done through an online form on our website, or by downloading, printing, and mailing a form to Adapt CNY at 351 South Warren Street, Suite 200, Syracuse, NY 13202, or by emailing a form to info@adaptcny.org or flag@adaptcny.org, or by going to any of the locations listed here to fill out a form and place in a box. The submission period itself will last from now until Friday, February 17th, 2023!

Afterwards, the Syracuse Flag Committee will be hosting a public input process and community workshops, where we will narrow down the submission field to 3 to 5 finalists, who will receive $250 each. Ultimately, we will determine one design to be recommended to the Syracuse Common Council for adoption in June 2023, the chosen winner receiving additional compensation.

If you are interested and have any questions about participating, I have provided links to a fact sheet and submission form, and I will be around to answer any comments! You can also keep up with the Initiative by joining our mailing list on the website, or following us on Instagram at @syracuseflag. Thank you for your time and interest and I cannot wait to see your designs soon!

Sincerely,

Ikechukwu Okereke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 10:48 AM

Hey guys! I wanted to let you all know that the Syracuse Flag Committee is currently conducting an Ask Me Anything on the r/vexillology subreddit alongside NAVA Secretary, and writer of Good Flag, Bad Flag, Ted Kaye! Check us out if you are interested if you want to ask direct questions to Committee members and vexillologists themselves! https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology...other_members/

Old 02-15-2023, 09:32 AM

Default 2 Day Reminder!

Hello everyone!

My name is Ikechukwu Okereke, a member of the Syracuse Flag Committee, and I have a few updates for you all about the Syracuse Flag Initiative! There are only 2 more days until the deadline of Friday, February 17th 2023! If you are interested in submitting a design, you can do so online at our website www.syracuseflag.com, email to info@adaptcny.org or flag@adaptcny.org, mail to Adapt CNY itself at 351 South Warren Street, Suite 200, Syracuse, NY 13202, or place it in boxes set up in any of these locations listed here. Thank you so much for all of your time and support with this project, and I can't wait to see your flags soon!

Sincerely,

Ikechukwu Okereke

Last edited by Syracuse_Flag; 02-15-2023 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-17-2023, 11:42 AM

Default Final Day to Submit!

Hello everyone!

The submission period for the Syracuse Flag Initiative is coming to a close today! If you would like to submit your own flag design, you can do so on our website, or email/mail your form to info@adaptcny.org, flag@adaptcny.org, and or the address 351 South Warren Street, Suite 200, Syracuse, NY 13202, or head over to these locations here. I have also linked a submission form and fact sheet for you all below. If you are one of the 3 to 5 finalists chosen, you would earn $250, and if you are the final winner submitted to the Syracuse Common Council, would earn additional monetary compensation. Thank you so much for all of your time and interest with this project, and I can't wait to see your flags soon!

Sincerely,

Ikechukwu Okereke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: