Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 02:16 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,273,325 times

Advertisements

I own in a major city currently. I am originally from NJ. I have been poking around on Zillow and I need to ask, why are decent houses so cheap in upstate NY? If possible, be real with me. Crime? Taxes? Drugs? Demand?COL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 02:37 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Supply and demand. Age of the homes can play a part in this as well. I say this, as even the areas/school districts in high demand or that are highly regarded can still have relatively affordable housing prices, if you know where to look and in relation to comparable areas elsewhere.

By the way, what areas did you look into? That also needs to be answered, as that can play a part in terms of what you are referring to.

Old 03-11-2023, 02:48 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Supply and demand. Age of the homes can play a part in this as well. I say this, as even the areas/school districts in high demand or that are highly regarded can still have relatively affordable housing prices, if you know where to look and in relation to comparable areas elsewhere.

By the way, what areas did you look into? That also needs to be answered, as that can play a part in terms of what you are referring to.
I looked at Middletown and Ithica. But very general. Very beautiful houses but very cheap. I feel like there is something underlying that I am not seeing.

Old 03-11-2023, 02:56 PM

5,682 posts, read 4,084,462 times
In general, it is because property taxes are too high. The greedy government always wants to get paid first, and in that the property values are stiffled. They don't realize that the property values would grow faster without the restraints.

Another reason could be because there is so much land to spread out. NYC and NJ are limited.

High taxes aside, I think most people like the property values here. There aren't the swings up and down as in other areas. And as for Rochester we do get some swings upward, but seem to retain values when other areas are declining.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
I looked at Middletown and Ithica. But very general. Very beautiful houses but very cheap. I feel like there is something underlying that I am not seeing.
Interesting, as those areas are actually on the higher end for Upstate NY in terms of housing prices, yet are still relatively affordable. Both of those areas are actually growing steadily in population too. In fact, Orange County, where Middletown is located, was and may still be one of the faster growing counties in the state and has never had a decline in population in its history. Tompkins County where Ithaca is located, hasn't seen a decline in population since 1910.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:12 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Compared to Schlong Island, Queens, Westchester, and the rest of the downstate counties, of course upstate seems cheaper. There are other reasons why. Don’t get all cocked and think about running upstate to live the good life.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:15 PM

^Man, hotkarl...Why not? There's enough room up here(to an extent). lol

Old 03-11-2023, 03:36 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times
Quote:
^Man, hotkarl...Why not? There's enough room up here(to an extent). lol
Agreed! Upstate NY is what you make of it. If you don't mind Old Man Winter overstaying his welcome, like the outdoors and outdoor sports, don't mind the inconveniences of fewer supermarkets/hospitals/vets/car mechanics/restaurants/entertainment venues/contractors and tradesmen/supply stores and home centers/etc., and don't need to rely on the area for income or a job, you could have a great life there.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Agreed! Upstate NY is what you make of it. If you don't mind Old Man Winter overstaying his welcome, like the outdoors and outdoor sports, don't mind the inconveniences of fewer supermarkets/hospitals/vets/car mechanics/restaurants/entertainment venues/contractors and tradesmen/supply stores and home centers/etc., and don't need to rely on the area for income or a job, you could have a great life there.
Even all of those things are readily available in many parts of Upstate NY. There are even computers and color TV's up here as well.

Even winters aren't like they used to be.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:12 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times
Quote:
Even all of those things are readily available in many parts of Upstate NY. There are even computers and color TV's up here as well.

Even winters aren't like they used to be.
No, I'm sorry but I don't believe you. There's no way color TV's have found their way up there yet...

Amazing State, Local and County Parks too.... Ithaca has some great waterfalls, then there's Watkins Glen, Lecthworth S.P., etc. Finger Lakes has some world class wines and wineries, produces some of the best white wines, particularly rieslings, IMO.

Middletown does have alot of shopping, but that's not really true upstate NY in my opinion, more like the left flank of the Hudson Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York