Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 08:44 AM

5,749 posts, read 4,124,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, there are some city neighborhoods that provide those things as well. So, it may come down to where a person looks within the city. For instance some families may like an area like Meadowbrook in Syracuse or Highland Park in Rochester over a suburb. I mention those two, because both are known for being city neighborhoods with its share of families that are solid/nice areas of those cities. Some may like neighborhoods like the North Park area of North Buffalo, the West Side(south of Main) in Binghamton, the Union Street corridor/GE Realty Plot in Schenectady, the SW two thirds of Albany(Helderberg/Whitehall/Buckingham Lake/Pine Hills/Delaware Avenue), the South Side of Watertown, North and South(south of Memorial Parkway) in Utica, etc. Those are areas of those cities that nice/solid areas with their share of families and amenities for them nearby. So, it may depend on the family, neighborhood, preference and so on.
That's why I prefaced my statement with "some will disagree". I still say urban yards are smaller, and I know there is parkland nearby, but the yards are still smaller. Additionally, suburban streets are much safer, especially if you live on a caldesac. City streets are mostly straight, interconnecting to a main street, and weaving in and out of parked cars make the city more dangerous for kids on bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 09:07 AM

93,672 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
That's why I prefaced my statement with "some will disagree". I still say urban yards are smaller, and I know there is parkland nearby, but the yards are still smaller. Additionally, suburban streets are much safer, especially if you live on a caldesac. City streets are mostly straight, interconnecting to a main street, and weaving in and out of parked cars make the city more dangerous for kids on bikes.
Well, many suburban streets also don’t have sidewalks for kids to walk on and that can be dangerous, given the car centric nature of suburbs.

Some suburbs like a Westvale for an example, are also on a grid of sorts and may lack sidewalks. Older suburbia can be like this.

City neighborhoods like Schenectady’s General Electric Realty Plot: https://maps.app.goo.gl/paeKn8hYfTWS2RBBA?g_st=ic

Syracuse’s Sedgwick: https://maps.app.goo.gl/rpD9sL88rgnnQYpX9?g_st=ic

Rome’s North George Street area: https://maps.app.goo.gl/PomKW9mLqf7f2SFS8?g_st=ic

and Albany’s Buckingham Lake: https://maps.app.goo.gl/aVt8WbPosqAU4Rvj9?g_st=ic are examples of city neighborhoods with properties with quite a bit of land, but also walkability to parks, schools, etc. So, you can find some crossover between cities and suburbs up here in terms of properties and land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York