Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2024, 12:59 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times

Advertisements

I recently received several letters from my long time telephone provider (landline), Frontier Communications, informing that they're in the process of ending telephone service by way of the traditional, copper cables. They are installing fiber optic cable in it's place. Supposedly this is in concert with the FCC (Federal Communications Commision).

I was hesitant, but eventually, succumbed to their insistence that I wake the switch. The installation was done with a few "hiccups" incurred, but then was supposedly worked out, and I supposedly now have "state of the art" phone service. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I DON'T!!

After the install was completed, we did a basic check, to make sure things worked, and they did, at that moment. However, the following day, I wanted to check the balance in my checking account, so I did what I've been doing for the last 30 years....I dial the bank's number, then used my phone's keypad, to enter my 6 digit account number followed by my 4 digit passcode. Problem is, it doesn't work!! The system breaks down, somehow, and won't allow me to transmit the digits.

A couple of phone techs couldn't find the issue, but today a third tech showed up, he asked what the problem is, I explained it, he looked me in the eye and stated, what you're experiencing is not a problem, it's a shortcoming of the system. He, using a bunch of "technical jargon", said that the fiber cable simply isn't good at transmitting "tones", so the system simply fails to properly transmit that kind of data. He went on to say that they're experiencing this situation with certain security systems. WTH????

My telephone has worked properly for the 34 years that I've lived here, they tell me they're going to make it better, and instead they break it...........

Has anyone else run into this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 07:13 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
^ Good to know. I've always had Frontier (Rochester Telephone). I cancelled my landline a few years back, but still had their internet service until construction on my street knocked it out. They then, set me up with Spectrum, but it's expensive. I've been waiting for Greenlight, but was just notified of the Frontier Fiber service.

Did you get the internet or just phone service, or both?

I don't think Greenlight will ever come into my neighborhood due to the low density, so I'm considering Frontier.

Old 04-10-2024, 03:52 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
^ Good to know. I've always had Frontier (Rochester Telephone). I cancelled my landline a few years back, but still had their internet service until construction on my street knocked it out. They then, set me up with Spectrum, but it's expensive. I've been waiting for Greenlight, but was just notified of the Frontier Fiber service.

Did you get the internet or just phone service, or both?

I don't think Greenlight will ever come into my neighborhood due to the low density, so I'm considering Frontier.
Supposedly, as one of the "automatic perks" from Frontier, I have their internet service, as part of the deal. However, I've had my internet/television service with Spectrum, for a long time. I agree with you, Spectrum is rather expensive. But at the same time, if I go to the toolbar on my screen, I do have the choice of two routers.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York