Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

11 posts, read 14,287 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are looking for a place to retire. We are currently living in a Boston suburb with a mortgage, but we'd like to move somewhere where our current equity would let us buy a house mortgage free to be able to afford retirement. We also want a place with low crime. Because we are a gay couple, we don't want to move someplace with very conservative politics or attitudes, so the usual idea of moving someplace like Florida or the Carolinas is not for us. Also, we prefer a cold winter to a very hot summer. Personally, I love snowshoeing. So I think cold is not a problem. I noticed that Plattsburgh is both affordable and generally votes Democratic. Now, I don't consider myself a Democrat, but I feel more comfortable as a gay man in a place that is not overwhelmingly MAGA. I am also a hiker and like the proximity to the Adrirondacks (and Green Mountains) without the housing prices of the mountain resorts. But, what is it like to live in Plattsburgh? Would it be possible to build friendships there? It's okay if there aren't too many gay people. We tend to be friends with straight couples anyway. But is Plattsburgh the kind of place where you won't really be accepted unless you grew up there and your family was from there? Or is it welcoming to new people? Any other thoughts about Plattsburgh as a place to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

93,643 posts, read 124,375,652 times
A better question may be if there are areas within the state that are a similar or better match. I will say that Plattsburgh had NY State's first openly gay mayor(Dan Stewart in 2000, who was a Republican and originally from RI btw). He did state in articles that he would go to Montreal(about an hour away) quite a bit though. Its current mayor is African American. So, that may give some indication about the city.

It is a smaller city(about 20,000 people). So, that may be something to consider.

Hopefully, someone else can chime in with more specific information.

As for other cities/areas that be a similar/good fit for what you are looking for, Oneonta(smaller city with 2 colleges, near the Catskills), Utica(10th biggest city in the state, affordable, close enough to the Adirondacks, very culturally diverse city) and Binghamton(close enough to the Catskills and Poconos, another pretty diverse city). With the latter two, you could consider suburban options that could work for you as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; Yesterday at 11:01 PM..

Old Today, 01:01 PM

20,122 posts, read 20,922,481 times
Better watch out for them evil MAGA’s. They’ll be burning crosses on your lawn and lynching you if you’re not careful.

Really dude? Honestly, nobody cares anymore. They just don’t.
They’ll complain amongst each other for sure, but you could live in the most Magable land of MAGA and you are not going to have an ounce of trouble. Turn the TV and the internet off and enjoy your retirement.

That said, look into New Paltz as well. I think it would be a very good fit based on your criteria. Winters are a little milder as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York