Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 36,428 times

Advertisements

Hey that's some cool info about the haunted "house". I will have to check that out too. The area around Saranac is just so huge. I remember there was this huge yellow and brown building up high on a hill across from Ames. Wasn't that the TB center? What is it now? Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM

518 posts, read 2,015,437 times
Talking You'll love this!

I remembered a book written by a local a few years ago............The Lady of the Lake by Chris Ortloff who grew up in Lake Placid and found a website that lists that story (based on truth because they did find a woman's body fully preserved??? due to the cold water years after she died). Check out this website www.campfiretales.com (broken link) and it has tons of other ADK ghost stories and legends, etc......I can imagine that the lady at the bottom of the lake would have been great stuff at all kinds of campgrounds if you were a kid around here then. I've only been here for "grown-up" years.........

Old 07-21-2008, 10:41 PM

10 posts, read 36,428 times
Default Thanks for the ghost story website

Hey that's cool! I'm going to check it out for sure. I had never heard of a woman found fully preserved! Freaky! But I guess it's cold enough. One of these years I'm going to go camping where I did as a kid. If only work didn't have to get in the way.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 PM

43 posts, read 81,682 times
Talking Saranac Lake

Though as a child I had been to Tupper Lake I was in Lake Saranac ...stayed on the Lake near the Young Life Camp, for the first time Memorial Day week 2007. Thought I died and went to heaven. Yes the Sierra Nevadas and Ocracoke/Hatteras Island are beautiful but Lake Saranac and a whole lot of the Adirondacks that I saw , have their own special charm and sense of wild ness or wilderness.

To be honest when I awoke the first sunny morning I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Going back up there in 9 days. Hope the weather is nice. The Town of Saranac was also very nice and the people were friendly like they are in NC (not likke there are in this sh_t hole of Metro DC or where I was raised in north Jersey). I am a huge fan of the French and Indian War (a result of a childhood visit to Ticonderoga and my own French/Mic Mac ancestry from Acadia...I mean Nova Scotia. The Adirondacks, especially near Lakes Champlaign and Lake George are full of pre-Revolution history plus Bigfoot was seen pretty recently near MT Ampersand. When I was up there last year Littlefoot (a black bear) came into our camp ...wanted to know if we had any garbage donations...hey Boo Boo! The only bears you see around here are in the National Prison ...I mean Zoo in DC.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:32 AM

Post It's so great

up here in the summertime and I can see where people who haven't ever been in this sort of environment here would absolutely fall in love with the place............It is sort of like fairy tale land and so beautiful. No wonder that this was the playground of the rich and famous back in the years before A/C, yachts, cruises, etc.............If you get the chance to get to Saratoga and do the museum there, it also gives you great insight on what this area was like back in the 20's, 30's, etc.......playgrounds for the rich/NYC area.

We go camping on a regular basis and although it seems much more crowded this year (gas prices, more Canadians coming down because of exchange rate, etc......), there is nothing like waking up on a coolish morning camping, listening to the loons calling back and forth...........and I've never seen brighter stars anywhere.....People are very nice and civilized around there. It has its share of rednecks, but overall there is a strength and sense of pride and gentility among the people.........Many areas feel very "old school" and make you feel as though you've traveled through time into another era where people aren't rushed or crazed by traffic, cell phones, work, etc.........It's so different from the real world.......

I just wanted to say that I was trying to find my daughter a required reading book at Borders today and ran right into a huge display in the Pburgh store about all things Adirondack......including a book/tape/DVD called Ghosttales of the Adirondacks.........If anyone is interested I am sure if you go to the Borders website and do a search, you could order and be able to listen to them all over again.............B00000000000000000!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 11,298 times
Burger King opened in 1987 owned by Joe Sweeney. I worked there it was my junior year of high school.I hope this was helpful!!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:05 PM

That old tb hospital is now a bunch of condos!!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 PM

The old Plattsburg Airforce base is extremely haunted as well as the plattsburg public library

Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Question The public library?

I had heard something about the old greystone barracks.............I think they were the original barracks back when this place was a training ground for soldiers in the early 1800's..........When you walk over there now, the barracks have been boarded up for years and there are huge wooded stairs that go up about 5 feet and then you are standing on the porch that surrounds the area. It is pretty creepy feeling because you do wonder what stories that building could tell...........It's not too far from Lake Champlain where all the battles were fought.
What specific stories go along with that building. I think I did hear when some soldiers died inside. There is a military cemetary on base as well that has lots of old graves and one Halloween the guides took us on all the places that had stories and that was one of them and also a place called McDonough Hall which is now a SUNY dorm but was a nurses residence 50 or 60 years ago has had lots of stories told from students who live there now. That might be online. Will try to look that one up...............
What's the story about the public library? I am in there fairly often and have never heard of anything special. Know it's an older 3 or 4 story building....

Old 10-14-2011, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
Saranac lake is full of old houses that were used as cure cottages for tuberculosis affiliated with the trudeau institute. there is also an abandoned mens infirmary in tupper lake that i have heard many stories about it being occupied by the other side. Someone else mentioned the Prescott house i personally have been in the basement there where the kitchen (old morgue) is and there is definetly something goin on there. Spent the night with a friend who was staying there when the college used it and heard all sorts of noises (walking, talking, doors, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York