Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

I was reading responses to a now locked discussion about Blacks and Upstate NY, in terms of those being middle-class and so on. I would just like to say there are quite a few middle class Blacks all over Upstate NY cities and towns. for instance, I grew up in Onondaga Hill, which is a middle to upper middle class suburb just SW of the city of Syracuse, in the Westhill school district. while it wasn't the most diverse, there were some other Blacks there. I now live in Mattydale, a more working class suburb north of Syracuse that is seeing an increase in Black residents and is in the North Syracuse school district. In fact, the elementary school for the community I live in has a Black principal.

Here are some places in which there are quite middle class Blacks in Upstate: In Syracuse:the north suburbs of Clay in both the Liverpool and No. Syracuse schools, with some in the Baldwinsville schools, the Jamesville-DeWitt area in the hamlet of DeWitt, Nedrow-(which is more working class) also has a good sized Native American population and they go to Onondaga Central schools, Salina in communities like Mattydale(NS schools), Galeville(Liverpool schools) and Lyncourt(has own schools, but goes only to 8th grade, but goes to Solvay for HS). There some in the other suburbs too like the East Syracuse-Minoa area, Fayetteville-Manlius and increases in the Western suburbs and Baldwinsville too. Syracuse's East side and Valley section south of Seneca Turnpike is where plenty of middle to upper middle class Blacks live too. As far as school districts outside of the city of Syracuse:Liverpool, Jamesville-DeWitt, North Syracuse and Onondaga Central have the highest percentages, with East Syracuse-Minoa having a growing number and leading in that respect.

In Rochester:the Chili area, with kids going to Gates-Chili, Churchville-Chili and Wheatland-Chili schools. Greece is another town with quite a few Blacks. Henrietta and the East Irondequoit areas are probably the "Blackest" of the Rochester suburban areas. Brighton is another community, as well as the West Irondequoit area. There are some in the other suburbs East of the city too. I think the Charlotte, Eastern and Southern end areas of the city also has quite a few middle class Blacks as well. As far as school districts:Gates-Chili, Rush-Henrietta, East Irondequoit, Greece, West Irondequoit, Churchville-Chili and Wheatland-Chili have relatively higher percentages. Keep in mind the Rochester area has an urban-suburban program where people from the city schools can go to the suburban schools, if it allows due to criteria like space. Brockport, Fairport, Penfield and Brighton have their share from both this program and those that live there.

In Buffalo:the Amherst area in the Sweet Home, Amherst and some in the Williamsville school districts. In Cheektowaga, in the Cheektowaga and Maryvale school districts. Cleveland Hill schools in Cheektowaga are about 30% Black now, but is more working class to middle class. Some live in the Kenmore area, especially in the Kenmore West High area. Lackawanna is an old Steel town that has a good sized Black population south of Buffalo, but is more of an urban area in character. It is a 30% Black school district too. There are some again sprinkled throughout the the Buffalo suburbs too. In the Niagara Falls area, most usually live in the Niagara-Wheatfield district.

In the Albany area:Niskayuna and Rotterdam outside of Schenectady has some. In Rotterdam, they mainly live in the Mohanasen school district. Colonie, both South(espeically) and North Colonie have quite a few. Guilderland has some as well. East Greenbush in the Columbia school district does as well. Some more working class communities like:Rensselaer, Watervliet and Cohoes have quite a few too. Many are moving into the Lansingburgh area of Troy too, which has it's own school system. Some in Saratoga Springs, Clifton Park (Shenendahowa schools) and Bethlehem too. Again some are sprinkled throughout the area.

In the Binghamton area:Endicott has it's share and go to Union-Endicott schools. Johnson City, which is close to SUNY Binghamton has a district that is about 13% Black student population. Some in more upper middle class Vestal, where the SUNY campus is located, with a few in the Susquehanna Valley, Chenango valley and Maine-Endwell districts too. Binghamton's West side seems to be pretty nice too and Bignhamton schools aren't that bad.

In the Elmira-Corning area:In Horseheads, Elmira Heights, in Corning(espeically in Gang Mills and South Corning) and Elmira's West and Southsides. Each city has their own school district.

In the Ithaca area: many live in Newfield, Dryden, Trumansburg and in the Belle Sherman area of the city by the Cornell campus. Again, each has their own school system.

In the Utica-Rome area:some are in New Hartford, a few in Clinton and in the South end of Utica. Some are in the part of Rome in the Northwestern side of town too.

There are some in smaller cities and towns like Plattsburgh, Watertown(military), Geneva, Olean, Oneonta and other cities due to a college or military presence. I'm sure there are some in other places as well where there are some at least working class, nice Black neighborhoods or people in those communities. Auburn and Jamestown come to mind in that respect and have a long Black history. Same with Gloversville, Batavia, Lockport and somewhat Oswego and Cortland. There are quite a few small communities in Wayne County and Orleans County with decent sized Black communities too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-04-2008 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 06:15 PM

That's also without touching on possible areas in the part of Upstate in the Catskill/Hudson valley region in Orange, Sullivan, Ulster and Dutchess counties, among others.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 48,864 times
Well..............I am very seriously considering moving to Ithaca and I found an article on their school website where one black female student and her mother just got awarded a lofty settlement due to the student receiving very disheartening prejudice treatment. I would hope it is not because the percentage of blacks is so low or because Ithaca is that close minded.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:14 AM

79 posts, read 342,233 times
Ithaca is one of most open minded areas in the country when it comes to any issue. VERY liberal. I know many middle class blacks in ithaca. I also know many children from mixed race marriage that were married in the early 60's when that was still not accepted in most of the country.

I wouldn't generalize Ithaca based on one incident. It is a great town.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Default Ithaca........

is a city that is more open minded than most and that can get pretty extreme too.

Ithaca's Black community is centered mainly around the Cleveland St. area south of downtown and N. Albany St. just north of downtown. There are others that live in other area in and outside if the city too. While about 8% of the people there are of Black African descent, they are active in the city. I believe they have 2 members of the City Council that are Black:http://ithaca.govoffice.com/index.asp?Type=B_LIST&SEC={472F75C9-54AC-42C9-ACE4-016834ABB71C} and he school district is about 12% Black and is very diverse too:Ithaca City School District schools - district elementary, middle, and high school information (http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/ny/district_profile/317 - broken link). Keep in mind that it is an enlarged city school district. Meaning that it expands beyond the city limits. Beverly J. Martin elementary school is about 45% Black and is in the middle of the city.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:22 PM

6 posts, read 48,864 times
Did not mean to generalize based on one incident. In fact, I was hoping that it was isolated and even a fluke. Regardless......the replies have been helpful and much appreciated.
Thanks........I will check out the websites

Old 07-14-2008, 02:02 PM

keepitmovin.......to be fair and honest, now that I think about it, Ithaca has had some other issues, but those are the exception and not the rule. If you go there to visit, you will see a diverse Police force there, very diverse schools, some diverse neighborhoods and so on. All in all, i think you will like it.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,020 times
I was actually told that families using section 8 housing in the city rendered them unlivable and condemned. I live in mattydale. And again was told that north Syracuse and mattydale in specific was using section 8 housing projects to locate them here. I have since put my house up for sale and will be moving to the country. There are 2 houses next to me in the last 2 months received families who are profane and very disrespectful to all neiboring houses. Taking my political banner from my lawn and jumping and playing on my 75 year old neibors porch knocking her flowerpots down and having an all out lack of respect for her. Very sad.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic36 View Post
I was actually told that families using section 8 housing in the city rendered them unlivable and condemned. I live in mattydale. And again was told that north Syracuse and mattydale in specific was using section 8 housing projects to locate them here. I have since put my house up for sale and will be moving to the country. There are 2 houses next to me in the last 2 months received families who are profane and very disrespectful to all neiboring houses. Taking my political banner from my lawn and jumping and playing on my 75 year old neibors porch knocking her flowerpots down and having an all out lack of respect for her. Very sad.
What does this have to do with this thread and where did it occur? I haven't heard anything like that at all. While you may have a of couple mixed income complexes in the area, there isn't any strictly Section 8 housing in Mattydale or North Syracuse.

I do know of other incidents in Mattydale, but I'll leave it alone.

By the way, Black households in the North Syracuse Central SD have a median household income of $72,608 according to 2010-2014 census info. So, in keeping with the thread, the Black median household income is solidly middle class and is only surpassed by the Native American median household income in the district. North Syracuse Central School District Income and Careers - USA.com™

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-04-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,884 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York