Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 PM

26 posts, read 86,267 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to decide for the longest time as to where I should relocate. I am a 28 year old SBF born and raised in MN and feel that I need a new environment, place to live and experience ya'know? I will be on a social services salary and I have always wanted to live in NYC, but I understand it is madd expensive. This is where you all come in; I am looking for feedback, advice good/bad, I am open to any and all suggestions. I would like to know exactly which town (Albany, Ithaca, Rochester, etc.) would be a best fit for a person like me (given the information listed) to live in an inexpensive area. I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but I need to know. I have been out to NYC twice and my preference is that I would like to live in a area that is safe, diverse, no lack of night life, job growth, racially accepting and people friendly (with new transplants). I have narrowed it down to three places: Seattle, NYC or Washington, D.C. I would love N.Y. but I simply can't afford it (depending on the area?). I would like to stay in an area that is trendy, artsy with young professionals and people friendly. No bigots please lol . Again all is comments are welcomed and appreciated thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 04:34 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,260 times
I have lived in both rochester and albany. If you love new york and you want to visit nyc a lot I would live in albany. Going to nyc from albany is much easier and quicker. Also people in albany area are transplants from nyc. Of all the upstate cities albany is the best. I currently live in rochester and just for get about it. I used to love walking down the streets in albany and you really can't do that in rochester it is not set-up that way. economy and crime are really bad compared to albany. Albany summers are very quiet cause their is no college students around.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 452,001 times
I have lived in both places and I feel exactally the opposite.
Rochester is much bigger than Albany and has much more to offer. The crime in Rochester is not bad at all. Its only bad in a few select neighborhoods and you wouldnt have any business going to those neighborhoods anyways. Albany was just too small for me. There was not that many NYC transplants. Most of the NYC people I encountered were transient college students. You can walk around Rochester too. I lived in the Park ave area for a bit and it is very very walkable (you are in walking distance to an entertainment district, shops, restaurants, etc). There is much more to do in Rochester over Albany. Albany also had more of a college town feel to it. Places seemed to die down when the school year ended. Out of all the upstate cities(Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany), Albany would be on the bottom of my list. All of the other cities have much more to offer. I'm not saying Albany was horrible, it was nice, there are just much better options out there. The economy is Albany is a little better, but nothing too noticable from an outsider.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 PM

306 posts, read 1,619,935 times
If you want a smaller place--one that's safer crime-wise and more artsy and even more un-bigoted, very diverse, and where you'd really get to know people and be known--I'd recommend Ithaca. It's been much reviewed on this forum so check out previous pages.

It's also got some of the loveliest countryside around it, from beautiful farms to state parks to near-wilderness hiking and waterfalls, etc. And it's right on one of the lovely Finger Lakes. Nothing like the post-work swim to cleanse away the tensions. You can take fresh, good, real food that you just picked up in town with you for a picnic or camping.

In terms of housing, I myself would avoid the college-student areas like the plague, but some people might like that for its "vibrancy." You have other housing options there, too, so you can enjoy what a lively (and sophisticated) college town offers without having to live among the actual students.

Pretty good economy, pretty good pay-scale for social service employees (I used to be one myself, over in Buffalo). High property taxes, but if you rent, you can blunt that somewhat. After Minnesota, the winters will seem pretty mild, the summers especially long.

Lots of people your age there as grad students, researchers, young faculty, shop owners, professionals. Three and half/four hours from NYC, so you can drive or train there to visit and explore and still sleep in your own affordable bed. Toronto & Montreal aren't too far either--two of the world's great cities.

Check it out, and good luck!

Old 01-20-2007, 05:36 PM

22 posts, read 79,380 times
I grew up in/near the Albany area. It's about a 2 hour train ride from New York City & also about 3 hours from Boston which is a nice alternative. Renting is pretty cheap, just avoid Arbor Hill & South Albany. Craigslist.com has a lot of great Albany rentals. Pine Hills or anything near the College of St. Rose is where most young professionals live. Lark Street is downtown (on the other side of Washington Park from Pine Hills, really). It's trendy/hip/artsty but also a bit rowdier. Also nice is Saratoga Springs, less than an hour north. Definately an upscale scene there.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:30 PM

26 posts, read 86,267 times
wow guys you gave me a lot to consider and think about. So, gathering the info that was left, it looks like Albany, Rochester or Ithaca? I will be doing some exploring. Again, thanks and if you all have any other insights to add please do I will be checking regularly

Old 05-16-2007, 07:05 PM

18 posts, read 49,676 times
Well, you can always roomate in NYC, im not sure how old you are, but young people alike older people rent rooms and its normal and a good way to experience NYC and not worry about too high of rent. There is nothing like living in the city, it has its ups and downs, but its worth it.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:39 AM

54 posts, read 274,191 times
move to geneseo NY small town 25min south of rochester 10,000 pepole visit there website http://www.geneseony.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York