Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:27 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times

Advertisements

The road out front is clear. I haven't been anywhere as we're still in emergency status. Pulling out of the driveway is going to be fun. I don't have anyone to waive me onto the road. There's no way to see around the snow banks till your right out there in the middle of the road, same thing with intersections.

They mentioned our snow on the radio last night on BBC London news. We've had worse. I was glad to see in the paper that 10 miles south of me they have a third the amount of snow. Then again they had even more in a couple of places. It can vary even from one house to the next.

Here's today's pictures. I was using the house and utility pole as a reference as to height. You might have to look hard to see the windows and the vent on the roof -

Last edited by Sgoldie; 08-29-2007 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,258,704 times
Hey, Sgoldie? Are you in there somewhere??? Come out, come out, wherever you are!

Just joking with you. Good luck, ok? And thanks again for the photos.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:20 PM

17 posts, read 76,321 times
My sister in law lives in Minetto and was born in Oswego and sent me pictures. When you're in Florida looking at those pictures it is so beautiful!! My husband said this is the first time he's heard Oswego in the news. He's proud to be from there, but thankful to be in Florida right now. Good luck and hope it stops soon. I heard something about maybe by the first of the week. I'll keep my finger's crossed for you guys. Here's one picture she sent me which I thought was just so cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Oswego County snow storm-759117850207_0_bg.jpg  

Old 02-09-2007, 01:11 PM

Here's one of a nearby town that was on the front page of the paper -

Last edited by Sgoldie; 08-29-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-09-2007, 03:13 PM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times
I am totally amazed!
Sgoldie and Homeward bound you gave me a pretty good picture of what it's like. I guess it's kind of exciting. You know it's coming, prepare the best way you can, and hope for the best.
The first thing I would have to do if I was up there would be to shovel a place for my dogs to go to the bathroom.

Thanks for posting those cool pics!

Old 02-09-2007, 03:35 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,959 times
The winter up there is beyond belief!

I spent a year going to the SUNY up there, and almost froze my kiester off. I took a course in Astronomy and got a 'C' because I couldn't stay outside long enough to observe the darned stars!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:29 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,723 times
Hey Dedalus are you the guy who moved from SC?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,959 times
No. I've never been there. I'd like to visit sometime.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:03 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,423,627 times
Oswego County is getting tourists!

The local news just interviewed someone who traveled all the way to Oswego County yesterday from Southern PA just to see all the snow! Besides the media, makes me wonder if anyone else is doing this.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 PM

Well I finally got out of the house this weekend. Drove to Syracuse and couldn't believe how little snow they had, less than a foot on the ground. Even a mile south of me had less.

The roads in the city here were relatively clean and the banks had been cut back on the major streets. Passage was much narrower on some streets due to the accumulation. Many snow banks were taller than buildings where large parking lots had been plowed. It didn't snow much over the weekend. Anything less than a foot isn't counted at this point. One town within the county closer to the Adirondack Mtns reported 133 inches.

There have been camera crews here from CNN, the Weather Channel, and a snow chaser from Australia. I met someone who drove in from Geneva, that's SE of Rochester, to take photos. He couldn't believe it. It's really not that unusual for us. Not bad if you had someone else to shovel/plow for you.

It's really beautiful. The houses look like gingerbread houses with frosting dripping over the roofs. Everyone's in a good mood, a lot of the men look tired from working on it, it's almost a party atmosphere. Manybe it's that people were glad to get out.

I'll post photos again tomorrow after my camera phone recharges. And, I'd like you all to know that you're invited to come and take as much snow away with you as you'd like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York