Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 16,330 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Corning , NY in September. Which are the best elementary, middle and high schools? We want to move into a great progressive school district. We also need help with good towns as well. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:53 PM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianea View Post
We will be moving to Corning , NY in September. Which are the best elementary, middle and high schools? We want to move into a great progressive school district. We also need help with good towns as well. Thanks
Go with the Corning-Painted Post School District. You might also like the Horseheads School District just north of nearby Elmira too. there might be some districts in nearby PA that you might like as well, like Towanda, Sayre or Athens. Here's some information you might like to check out:
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2008&county=Steuben (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2008&county=Chemung (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2008&county=Schuyler (broken link)

CPP Website - Home

Horseheads Central School District Home

Bath Central School District

Elmira City Schools

Welcome to Elmira Heights Schools

Watkins Glen School District

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Pennsylvania schools - PA elementary, middle and high school information

Pennsylvania schools - PA elementary, middle and high school information

According to what I saw, Erwin Valley, Gregg, Calvin Smith and Carder are the better Elementary schools in the Corning SD. Corning Free Academy is the better of the two Junior Highs and East and West High Schools are about the same. It's not a bad school district, but some test scores could be better.

If you don't want Corning-Painted Post, besides Horseheads and the others I mentioned, you might like a district like Campbell-Savona, Addison, Elmira Heights, maybe even Elmira(most prefer the Southside schools over the other schools), Bath, Watkins Glen, Odessa-Montour, Waverly and a few Pennsylvania schools close to Corning.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
you'd be better of in any of the corning schools than addison or CS

the schools for most of the area are definitely what you get out of them is directly related to what you put in - the same can be said for most places

i don't think any are terrible and none are exactly prep academies though - however anything from corning community college to the ivy league is acheivable from them for the collegiate bound

other paths are definitely open as well

and those who just want to hang around, drink and party the days away, well there are plenty of drug stores they can clerk at as well

Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Corning-Painted Post area schools definitely seem to be the way to go if you want an education with your taxes. My pretty tough to please sister seems happy with her daughter in Corning West although East I hear is OK too. Taxes are atrocious so the school had better be good.

You can turn on school district boundaries in Google Earth since NYS school district boundaries follow no rhyme nor reason (unless you happen to be steeped in the history of how that district formed).

In PA, Wellsboro Area seems more highly thought of than the other two school districts in Tioga County. Middlebury Twp, even areas with a Tioga 16946 zip code are in Wellsboro Area SD. Sayre, Athens, and especially Towanda are quite a drive from Corning, if you're considering Towanda to Corning you might as well live in oft-recommended Ithaca.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 13,685 times
dianea, what are you doing for work and where are u coming from? I grew up in Horseheads and have been wanting to move back. currently, i am in FL. some would call me crazy for wanting to move back but the heat is not for me. i just need the right opportunity to move back. i miss the area daily.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 11,868 times
I may be moving to Corning, NY. Please tell me what I need to do to survive the cold weather. I grew up in the South and I have NEVER lived in an area that gets snow on a regular basis. Under what conditions will the school ever close? Please help me with some responses. I really need your help.Barb

Old 02-28-2010, 06:41 PM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsingle View Post
I may be moving to Corning, NY. Please tell me what I need to do to survive the cold weather. I grew up in the South and I have NEVER lived in an area that gets snow on a regular basis. Under what conditions will the school ever close? Please help me with some responses. I really need your help.Barb
Get yourself a good heavy coat and some boots. A scarf, a warm wool hat and gloves wouldn't hurt either. I don't think that Corning get hit as hard as some other parts of NY State.

Schools would close if the road conditions are viewed as being a bit too tough to clear in a timely manner, but NY has the equipment to clear things up usually in time.

Corning is a nice area that is safe and has a bunch of natural beauty. It has some things to do as well.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
you can get a good amount of snow coming through corning - main issue you'll have there is driving on the hills in and around the city when they get a little slick ... they do a good job getting it cleaned up though

what will be an adjustment is that there is a certain level of snow and conditions you are just expected to deal with and the locals do without a problem ..... since it's foreign to you look up some topics on driving in winter conditions and educate yourself a little bit

as for the cold, jacket, hat, gloves and i'd recommend a good pair of water resistant/waterproof boots ...... it's no fun when your feet get wet and cold in the slush and you have to deal with it all day - you can always put on your day shoes when you get into work

schools close if there is too much to get cleared up, expecting a large amount of snow during the day, extreme cold (usually with wind) or if it is icy - some are for the buses, some are for the walkers, some are for both

can expect 3-5 snow days a year

Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
My sister who moved from Lowville to Corning thinks she moved to the tropics.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 AM

10 posts, read 27,326 times
corning seems like a really nice area. my husband and i (and our son) have just moved to the states from ireland. i am originally from jersey but my husband is irish. we are used to rural, small town, country schools, smallish population, and all of that...i suppose we are wondering what are the people like? the community has a whole? what is the snow like? how is everyday life there? what are the conviences and inconviences? is it a summer desitination (i read a lot of material that leads me to believe it is) i am a teacher, so schools i will sort for myself. i guess i am just looking for the general info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York