Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 04:33 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,328 times

Advertisements

Just had a conversation with someone who said this is a lovely place. Right in the St. Lawrence, a lot of beautiful old Victorian homes, very quaint.

Any feedback/opinions out there? (It doesn't show up on a city.com search.)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Not sure specifically where they're referring to? There is a state park on one of the islands for camping but that doesn't sound like it, does it?

My guess would be they mean the totality of the 1000 Island area, unless someone else can correct me. There are several towns both on the US and Canadian side that span the length of the 1000 Island area. Some island are Canadian and some are US. BTW, there are actually more than 1000 of them and they range in size from merely big enough for a small cottage to hundreds of acres, and everything inbetween. There is a parkway along the river on the Canadian side called the Thousand Island Parkway but it isn't any more remarkable than the whole rest of the area.

Tibbets lighthouse in Cape Vincent (US) is across from Gananoque (CA) at the part of the river that adjoins Lake Ontario. Then you go on to Clayton and A Bay (Alexandria Bay) to the East, and further to Chippewa Bay (US), one of many coves, and Brockville (CA) across from that.

The Islands are gorgeous with castles and estates of unique architecture, large boathouses; most built by turn-of-the-century robber-barons. A mix of Europe and the Keys. The towns along the way are equally as interesting and much everyday traffic is done by boat. It's very much a water oriented venue.

The river can freeze over for the daring auto, and farm kids who live on the islands 'board' in town on the mainland for school in winter. Google "Dark Island" and "Boldt Castle" as well as any of the above towns for info/picts.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Aaaahhhh...the Thousand Islands and the St. Lawrence River. I grew up on that river. One of the most beautiful places on earth, IMO. I don't know of a 1000 Islands Park, unless they're talking about one of many state parks thru the area. There are some beautiful towns there - Clayton, St. Vincent, Alexandria Bay - but they can be touristy, especially from Memorial Day thru Labor Day. After that, the sidewalks get rolled up and a lot of the businesses close for the season and things get real quiet. A lot of rural places. You can find everything from "camps" to cottages to million-dollar homes, one right next to the other. Land taxes have sky rocketed. Yes, in the "old" days, people used to drive their vehicles across the river in the wintertime, but it's really been discouraged, particularly since the St. Lawrence Seaway opened up. The river doesn't always freeze over every year any more. Global warming may have a bit to do with that. But it is a beautiful area and is lots of fun. Main activities include boating, fishing, swimming (altho that river can be darned cold!). We used to dock our cabin cruiser at Bonnie Castle Resort in Alex Bay. Sunday mornings were my favorite. I'd get up early, go buy a paper and a cup of coffee, sit on the dock, and watch the early fishermen around Boldt Castle. God was in his heaven, and all was right with the world.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times
TI Park is an area on Wellesley Island next to the Fineview neighborhood. It was
a Methodist colony back in the 1800's and has the gingerbread/Victorian look to many of the houses there. Many families who are descendents still own homes there. It is truly a "community"...has almost a clubby (good one..not country club) feel. The 1000 Islands are truly stunning...but the area is still rustic.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:54 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times
Default Awww

I grew up in Watertown, NY, it is 30 minutes south of Alexandria Bay. The Thousand Islands park they are referring to is on Wesley Island. All of it is a beautiful region.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:37 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I know this is old and was trying to find a more recent thread, but this could do...

Community comes together to get new roof for Wellesley Island church: https://www.wwnytv.com/2024/03/27/co...n=Coffee+Break

Here is a street view of the area around the church: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3220...8192?entry=ttu

and of Thousand Island Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2853...8192?entry=ttu

On a side note, I found out that residents of Thousand Island Park are in the Lafargeville SD, a small/rural district based in the town of Orleans like Wellesley Island, according to this map: http://www.usa.com/school-district-3616380.htm

https://www.townoforleans.com/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-28-2024 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York