Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,968 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Ithaca. I'd like to know if boom boom cars are a problem there? In case you don't know, boom boom cars are these things with big whoppin' subwoofers in the trunks, and they shake everything withing a mile of them. I'm determined to get away from these things even if it means moving to a hermit hut in the middle of the desert.

For background, I'm in Atlanta, the hip-hop capital of the country, and of course we have more than our share of boom boom cars. They are so pervasive now that life for me here has become unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 06:02 PM

172 posts, read 847,032 times
There might be a couple owned by college students, but I don't think you'll find many "boom boom cars" in Ithaca. Cars with "SAVE THE EARTH" or "ITHACA IS GORGES" bumper stickers, now that's another story.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:46 PM

39 posts, read 186,676 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickroberts View Post
I'm considering moving to Ithaca. I'd like to know if boom boom cars are a problem there? In case you don't know, boom boom cars are these things with big whoppin' subwoofers in the trunks, and they shake everything withing a mile of them. I'm determined to get away from these things even if it means moving to a hermit hut in the middle of the desert.

For background, I'm in Atlanta, the hip-hop capital of the country, and of course we have more than our share of boom boom cars. They are so pervasive now that life for me here has become unbearable.
Wow that's a BIG move!

Old 03-20-2007, 06:49 PM

Well, there are some other reasons, but I wanted to start with one of the big ones for me. I'm also sick of living in a very red state, Atlanta congestion, unbridled growth, pollution, religion, and republicans. I live simply. I don't fit in here anymore.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
NY isn't exactly a "blue" state, except maybe in the winner-take-all presedential electoral college system. It balances out to be a pretty "purple" state with rural areas trending red and urban areas trending blue. Ithaca is a very blue spot in a generally red area.

I agree with the previous poster- there may be a couple "slammed 'yotas" thumping around Ithaca, but likely not many. Cornell is the big school- not exactly a hot-bed of hip-hop. Subarus and Volvos in town give way to pickup trucks as you head out into the farmland. In either case you may get some rattling fenders and rusted mufflers though, what with the snow and salt in the winter!

Ithaca is a great little city. Little congestion and in five minutes or so you can go from downtown to beautiful country. Limited suburban sprawl.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:56 PM

132 posts, read 576,674 times
Try minneapolis if you can stand the winters. They are one of the strictest cities I have ever visited about enforcing noise ordinances on drivers. Last time I was there you could tell when you crossed the Minneapolis city limit from St Paul or Bloomington because you didn't hear boom cars anymore. You also would see signs posted at gas stations that it was illegal to blast your radio while parked to fill your car.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:55 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickroberts View Post

I agree. People who drive those cars are so obnoxious. We have our share of them on LI.
Anyway, I hope you find what your looking for in Ithaca.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,504 times
Another BIG reason I got off Long Island. I'm upstate now about 9 months and yes I have heard Boom boom cars twice now, not bad.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 PM

491 posts, read 829,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen NY View Post
Another BIG reason I got off Long Island. I'm upstate now about 9 months and yes I have heard Boom boom cars twice now, not bad.
You can buy a transmitter Kit from Ramsey Electronics, when one drives by you lock into the station they are playing and transmit a 20 Hz squarwave tone.
The woofers tear apart and the amplifier in the trunk often shorts out as well. 30 amps of frying output transistors goes up in a cloud of smoke. These guys often dont fuse these things

Old 03-26-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
You can buy a transmitter Kit from Ramsey Electronics, when one drives by you lock into the station they are playing and transmit a 20 Hz squarwave tone.
The woofers tear apart and the amplifier in the trunk often shorts out as well. 30 amps of frying output transistors goes up in a cloud of smoke. These guys often dont fuse these things
Can you send me a part number for the item you're talking about? I would LOVE to do this! Oh, sweet revenge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York