Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 PM

41 posts, read 122,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marycoola View Post
I felt so badly for you-I just read your note-I'm from Rochester and moved to FL many years ago. I've never experienced what you have, but that's because South Florida is not the south-just transplanted Northerners. I sure hope things are going better for you now.
Thank you marycoola for your note. I am doing much better now, with remembering all I have to be thankful for. I enjoy reading the NY boards, and am now understanding more of how hard it is to move back. I will always love NY!, but it still seems to be the depressed area I left.(I am not "knocking" NY, I will always be a NY'er.) I am thrilled that there are some areas coming back to life, and I hope it continues.

What I have learned from the board, and some of my friends that have moved back is that they wished they hadn't. It was based more on an "emotional" basis than reality. (I also know that people have moved back and been very happy.) For me, it is for the best that I stay here and enjoy everything I have gained. Lost other things, but as other posts have said, "bloom where you are planted."

I am working on getting a "get-away" camp in SW Virginia, a beautiful mountain area I really like. Then I can go on week-ends to enjoy the mountains, cooler weather, and just a little snow! And in about nine years retire all together.

Since I am "older" and upon re-reading my post, it almost sounds like menopause was kicking in!!! Ha.

Thanks for your concern-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 11:01 AM

218 posts, read 1,462,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Out of the people I know that have moved away, the ones that have moved down south seem to miss it the most. Most peole that have moved down south will always complain there are no good places for food, lack of identity and lack of culture. The ones that have moved to other northeastern cities don't complain as much, but still miss it.
I agree with the "lack of things". Moved to NC in 98 and it seems Im here to stay but I do miss home, and yes i still call it home after 10yrs away. Im sad that I never appreciated the beauty and diversity of thing to do up there. Unfortunetly, the winters are just to harsh, compared to the sunshine most of the year here.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:41 PM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Default If they have to take me back in a box,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymunga View Post
Thank you marycoola for your note. I am doing much better now, with remembering all I have to be thankful for. I enjoy reading the NY boards, and am now understanding more of how hard it is to move back. I will always love NY!, but it still seems to be the depressed area I left.(I am not "knocking" NY, I will always be a NY'er.) I am thrilled that there are some areas coming back to life, and I hope it continues.

What I have learned from the board, and some of my friends that have moved back is that they wished they hadn't. It was based more on an "emotional" basis than reality. (I also know that people have moved back and been very happy.) For me, it is for the best that I stay here and enjoy everything I have gained. Lost other things, but as other posts have said, "bloom where you are planted."

I am working on getting a "get-away" camp in SW Virginia, a beautiful mountain area I really like. Then I can go on week-ends to enjoy the mountains, cooler weather, and just a little snow! And in about nine years retire all together.

Since I am "older" and upon re-reading my post, it almost sounds like menopause was kicking in!!! Ha.

Thanks for your concern-
someday, one way or another, I WILL come back to New York. I feel that strongly about it.

If they bury me in FLORIDA, I will haunt them for the rest of their natural days. Say enough about how I feel?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 32,790 times
I heart ny!
I grew up right outside of Bingoland and miss it...

Old 10-17-2007, 02:37 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
I know there are things I will miss about NYC. But there are plenty of things I won't miss:

I won't miss super expensive housing, that is substandard compared to the rest of the country.
I won't miss "short" commutes of 45 minutes or more.
I won't miss under stocked supermarkets that you have to climb over boxes to navigate.
I won't miss the high cost of everything else.

I will miss the great food and the variety of cultural things.

But other places have many things NY has, abeit on a small scale.

I think some of the problem that some people have when they move, is they move for the wrong reason. I personally have never seen the broad appeal of moving to the deep south. "Warm weather" to me isn't an appealing enough reason to move anywhere. And considering the humidity, it's no bargain.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:08 PM

140 posts, read 301,185 times
someday, one way or another, I WILL come back to New York. I feel that strongly about it.

If they bury me in FLORIDA, I will haunt them for the rest of their natural days. Say enough about how I feel?

Gosh!! I feel exactlly the same!!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Default Thank you very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andzia74 View Post

Gosh!! I feel exactlly the same!!
On the Florida board, they make me feel like I am a traitor to the COUNTRY, or that the least totally insane, for saying that.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 AM

133 posts, read 498,382 times
I'm from Upstate NY and like many of the kids in my HS class joined the military. Nearly all of my friends did their time and moved back home. I am transferring to the NY Guard at Ft. Drum in November and I can't wait to come home!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
Miss my 2 acre backyard in East Aurora NY

Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 PM

30 posts, read 160,106 times
Default Close To Nyc, Still Miss It

I JUST MOVED ABOUT 1 1/2 HRS NORTH FROM NYC (COUNTRY-LAND FOR ME EVEN WHEN IS NOT REALLY UPSTATE) AND I TOTALLY MISS THE CITY, THE PEOPLE, THE NOISE, EVERYTHING. I AM STILL CLOSE ENOUGH THAT I CAN GO AND VISIT ANY TIME I WANT, I'M LUCKY THAT WAY BUT IT'LL NEVER BE THE SAME AS IF WE STILL LIVED THERE, THERE'S SO MUCH GOING ON IN THE CITY EVENTS, DINING, CLASSES, CONCERTS, ART, SHOWS, FAIRS, PEOPLE, MUSEUMS, AND YOU KNOW THE SAYING "ONLY IN NYC" EXPERIENCE I FEEL THAT WE ARE MISSING LOTS OF THINGS BUT I AM A NEW MOM OF A BOY NOW 13 MONTHS AND WANTED HIM TO HAVE THE BIG HOUSE WITH THE YARD THE DOG ETC. ANYWAY I'M SURE WE'LL COME BACK TO LIVE IN THE CITY AT LEAST PART TIME HOPEFULLY IN THE NEAR FUTURE IS ALSO HARD TO MAKE FRIENDS IN A NEW PLACE WHERE YOU DON'T KNOW ANYONE. EVEN WHEN I WANT MY SON TO GROW UP HERE I WANT HIM TO SPEND ENOUGH TIME IN THE CITY TO HAVE THE NYC ATTITUDE BECAUSE NY IS THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York