Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 11:36 AM

203 posts, read 852,910 times

Advertisements

Hey...my Richmond buddy!
I'm also from upstate NY and I still miss it terrribly...as you can probably tell by my posts on the Richmond forum.
I'm trying to give Richmond a chance...but I have a feeling we'll be heading back to NY next summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 02:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,878,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Hey...my Richmond buddy!
I'm also from upstate NY and I still miss it terrribly...as you can probably tell by my posts on the Richmond forum.
I'm trying to give Richmond a chance...but I have a feeling we'll be heading back to NY next summer.
Wow, quite a coincidence! What part of upstate NY are you from? I grew up just outside of Rochester in a town called Brockport. I lived in Greece (suburb of Rochester) for the past five years, and we just made the move to Richmond. What is it that you don't like about Richmond? Are you living in the suburbs here? I'm sure that everything will work out for you.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,597 times
Default Homesick after 6yrs

I miss Ny. I have lived upstate and downstate and now I live in MD. I really don't feel settled in MD. Too different Too limited.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:55 PM

928 posts, read 3,853,250 times
I miss WNY, however, I could never go back. The thought of living through a snowstorm again, knowing its warm else where would drive me insane.
I could never do 6 months of winter anymore. Living in a sunshine state really spoils you. I do hate the fall season though because its still so hot.
It's been over 100 here every day in august. It's been unbareable. I hear WNY had an awsome summer.

I miss the sponge candy, shalens hot dogs, pizza and wings, and canisius.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,507 times
Default I Miss Buffalo...

However after attending UVA I could not find gainful employment back in Buffalo, even with a BS in computer Engineering and an MBA and connections, I attended Nichols School. I applied to Rich Products, Moog, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of WNY and many others yet I received no response. So I ended up taking a position in DC with a major defense contractor 12 years ago with a starting salary on the low $60k range. I will not even tell you how much I make now, but I highly doubt there many are employers in Buffalo paying well into 6 figures which is what I am making now. Add to the fact that my property tax is lower and I only pay 4.5% sales tax on goods and the fact that I can actually golf 8 months out of the year and one can clearly see why I will never go back. Not to mention the fact that my parents sold there place on Chapin and moved to Palm Beach. In closing, I do however miss my La Nova Pizza.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:28 PM

253 posts, read 1,275,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Buffalonian View Post
but I highly doubt there many are employers in Buffalo paying well into 6 figures which is what I am making now. Add to the fact that my property tax is lower and I only pay 4.5% sales tax on goods and the fact that I can actually golf 8 months out of the year and one can clearly see why I will never go back.

I love when people beam over boring **** like golf and taxes
Yeah, great dude... sounds like you really got the life.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:34 PM

493 posts, read 717,696 times
I miss the great diversity, the village and artistic scene, unpredictability, motivating energy, cocky no crap taking New Yorker atittudes (yeah I know) the midtown rush, my morning coffee and bagel afternoon slice of pizza of falafel Just the whole liberal vibe I miss! We're moving back in November, so it all won't be missed for long

Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,507 times
Default Re: Maouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
I love when people beam over boring **** like golf and taxes
Yeah, great dude... sounds like you really got the life.
Yes I do now have a great life, lower sales and property tax, heck I didn't even need a pay raise when I left the S hole known as the City of Buffalo. You pay what. 8.5% sales tax in Erie County? Don't even get me started on property tax. Who is the sucker now? And yes, I can actually spend 8 months out of the year in the great outdoors and I only had to once shovel 8 inches of snow out of my driveway last year. Have a nice life!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 39,234 times
Left Rochester 5 years ago for San Antonio, TX and never looked back!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:06 PM

140 posts, read 301,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
How many of you have moved away from New York, for what ever reason, miss it now? I lived in WNY and moved to Maryland I never thought I would be home sick to this extent, but I desperately miss home. Am I the only one?
Yes, you are not only one!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York