Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 9,418 times

Advertisements

If you are considering moving to Oneonta---don't. You will loose all faith in government, police, and basic human decency.

The students are the best part of Oneonta. Here is the low-down. The local city government are xenophobes and racists and they try to prevent homeowners from investing in the summer rental season. The city try's to deny summer rental permits to homeowners so the local hotel (clarion) will pick up the income. The city made a terrible deal with the Clarion to build downtown and now they are feeling the sting of their poor deal making.

Now you know how poorly things are done in Oneonta. A bad place to work and live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
I drove through Oneonta last fall and took some pics. Here's a photo thread of my visit:

Uh-oh, I forgot Oneonta - SkyscraperPage Forum

<3 <3 <3

graduated from suny oneonta 5 years ago...lots of new things since it looks like! They got Japanese cuisine now? Lol. I miss that crazy little town. Many a drunken nights spent @ Tino's eating cold cheese pizza and using Wilsbach dining hall trays as sleds and going down Golding Hill.

Ahhhh, memories!

Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Whiteowl View Post
If you are considering moving to Oneonta---don't. You will loose all faith in government, police, and basic human decency.

The students are the best part of Oneonta. Here is the low-down. The local city government are xenophobes and racists and they try to prevent homeowners from investing in the summer rental season. The city try's to deny summer rental permits to homeowners so the local hotel (clarion) will pick up the income. The city made a terrible deal with the Clarion to build downtown and now they are feeling the sting of their poor deal making.

Now you know how poorly things are done in Oneonta. A bad place to work and live.
Right, because the permanent residents are worthless. Every town needs a strong base population. Ax-grinder.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 9,418 times
A thoughtful retort, yes. If all those factors were incorporated, the local population would still be the same.

The plain truth is often the hardest to face. And that is what is lacking from the subset of thinking in Oneonta. The local residents avoid the plain truth. I posted to the blog saveoneonta.blogspot.com today and still with over 650 hits a week, remain unconvinced that Oneonta should ever be a place to live for a long term period.

With SUNY cuts coming and the possibility of closing some SUNY campus' I'm sure Oneonta will feel the crunch and wish they did a better job retaining talented graduates from the local universities.

Sorry to disagree with you, but the reality is the reality.....pull the plug on Oneonta and let it gasp one last time.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:06 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
I am going to follow up on what happened to my friend. He moved, rented a nice house in Oneonta, started the job. Everything seemed ok, but then he started to drink alot more. He always drank but this seemed to progress. He got lost the job, is in a trailer off route 23, drinks non stop, hangs out with the other alcoholics and does what he calls cobb jobs this is a side job not sexual, for money. Oneonta just made him drink! I cant even talk to him anymore. He is delusional and needs detox. Not a good more, or it was a matter of time until this happened cant say if it was the place or the drunk.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:51 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
I think there is abit of a hole in your theory.

He would have drank either place.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
well Sean he did drink , just not night and day. Oneonta pushed him over the edge! He used to live in a burb of NYC, its so busy, hustling and busteling and all the go getters and action . Oneonta is different. He could not adjust and is drunk all the time. He was functional and now is miserable. He made a bad move, sorry thats what happened. Its nothing remotely similiar to where he grew up and lived most of his life. Now maybe if he did it young in his 20's not late 40's it would have been easier.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:23 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
I'm from that area and yes I did drink. But its a great area and I loved it and miss it everyday. I was from the RS/Cooperstown area.

Now I live near Syracuse which I hate more then words can say. Thanks to Liberty Resources this area per capita is drunk/crack/meth central. LR's buses addicts in from all over the state.

But yet I don't drink anymore. Wether Upstate NY is the armpit of the World or not is a fun topic to debate on the innerweb. But the decision to be a drunk or not comes from within.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:41 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Now I live near Syracuse which I hate more then words can say. Thanks to Liberty Resources this area per capita is drunk/crack/meth central. LR's buses addicts in from all over the state.
Key phrase- "near Syracuse." You live in Oneida, half an hour away from Syracuse and not considered even so much as a suburb.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:41 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I'm from that area and yes I did drink. But its a great area and I loved it and miss it everyday. I was from the RS/Cooperstown area.

But yet I don't drink anymore. Wether Upstate NY is the armpit of the World or not is a fun topic to debate on the innerweb. But the decision to be a drunk or not comes from within.
Liberty Resources? Isn't that for people with special needs? There have been some examples of addicts being brought up here, but drugs and alcohol abuse is literally everywhere in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York