Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:21 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,888 times

Advertisements

Because we are a nanny state, the government is trying to take over every aspect of our lives and regulate us to death.

If only I was able to move away right now I would. Ah, this has my blood boiling! See you later Paterson, another taxpayer is heading "anywhere but here."

Interested-Participant

FYI crimes committed using .50 ammunition are very rare according to the left-leaning violence policy only 4 violent crimes have been committed using .50 BMG ammo (although they list more crimes (mostly illegal possession) of these guns)

Here's another link (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=166&issue=099 - broken link)

Make no mistake, this is just a bill to harass legal gun owners, and make it impossibly expensive for regular folks to own firearms.

It's not about stopping crimes (NY is soft on crime, they give notoriously light sentences, and did away with the death penalty despite most people in the state knowing that it is a good punishment for a few serious crimes), it is about stopping law-abiding citizens from ever being able to own a gun.

Last edited by Canerican; 04-30-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times
Perhaps instead of complaining, and wanting to leave so quickly... Have you thought about taking a stand and looking into how you can make the situation better? Maybe looking for ways to change society in NYS to make it a livable place, instead of a taxed-crazy state...?

If only our taxes were lower and we had some better people in power, businesses might just move here, people might just move here, jobs, etc... What can people like you and I do about it? I could never part with this great city of Buffalo, thriving with potential, though I could do without the corrupt government of New York State.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 AM

94 posts, read 460,575 times
Canerican, lol you should know better than to talk down about area or the state on the Buffalo forum. People will have your throat...haha.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 AM

I campaign for politicians who will change the area for the better (I spent about 12 hrs per week with Chris Lee, and about 6 hrs per week with the Ranzenhofer campaign).

I will campaign against Mayor Brown's best primary candidate, and for whatever Republican runs for Amherst town supervisor.

There's really not much we can do though. NY has turned into a one party state (I honestly have no problems with Democrats, its whenever one Party gets whatever they want that the problems come), and whatever the most Liberal Democrats want, they get.

Hopefully we can get a more moderate state, and I can see the State Senate going back to the Republicans, but the state, I believe, will be quite damaged by then. Patterson is increasing taxes faster than most people can realize it, and we are quickly losing the leadership that New York had on the nation in several sector (like banking, Charlotte and Chicago are growing as our area dies).

I think that a few people on this board think that I would love to leave this area to spite the residents, but the fact is that all my friends are here, I just don't see a good turn around any time soon, but I will keep my eyes open. There are people here who care, but they seem to be few and far between.

Quote:
Canerican, lol you should know better than to talk down about area or the state on the Buffalo forum. People will have your throat...haha
I know, but unless it gets mentioned people assume that the rest of the country is this way (as dysfunctional). People need to rise up and oust darn need every idiot politician in the state. Starting with David Patterson. Hopefully we can keep Gillibrand in the Senate though, but you know that the Democrats will try to eat their young on that one

Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
Canerican- The Carolinas rank in the top ten of unemployment these days - higher than that of NYS.
As for Charlotte being a banking center, those days are over. Wachovia has been bought buy Wells Fargo and Bank of America, unless you don't read the news, is a zombie bank laying of hundreds of people in NC. You might want to update your knowledge of current events. Just a suggestion.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
...I could never part with this great city of Buffalo, thriving with potential...
And how long are you going to wait for this "potential" to move into reality???? 10 years, 20 years, 30 years....hmm? and have your children and their children wait and wait and wait....

I can think back 40 years ago, when I was young, and I thought I would never leave WNY because it was my home, it had such good "potential"...but the situation back then was very bad, the city was crumbling, unemployment was high and now, 40 years latter the situation is worse, economically and socially. Waiting was not going to improve my life, or my children or their children...

The basic problems exist--"corrupt government" as you know, and too much government, and taxes that support it, and their generous retirements. New York is a State that exist for only New York City, and ignores the rest of the state; I know it and you know it. It was the same years ago, and it will be the same in the future.

Yes, perhaps you are the brave one that is trying to change the situation, and you should be admired...but you are "yelling into the wind", nobody hears your call. Many others before you, became "hoarse" screaming that message, and so will you.

Livecontent

Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
And how long are you going to wait for this "potential" to move into reality???? 10 years, 20 years, 30 years....hmm? and have your children and their children wait and wait and wait....

I can think back 40 years ago, when I was young, and I thought I would never leave WNY because it was my home, it had such good "potential"...but the situation back then was very bad, the city was crumbling, unemployment was high and now, 40 years latter the situation is worse, economically and socially. Waiting was not going to improve my life, or my children or their children...

The basic problems exist--"corrupt government" as you know, and too much government, and taxes that support it, and their generous retirements. New York is a State that exist for only New York City, and ignores the rest of the state; I know it and you know it. It was the same years ago, and it will be the same in the future.

Yes, perhaps you are the brave one that is trying to change the situation, and you should be admired...but you are "yelling into the wind", nobody hears your call. Many others before you, became "hoarse" screaming that message, and so will you.

Livecontent
Lol, haha, you don't even know who I am, Livecontent! Or, for that matter, what I'm involved in. No need to judge one's ambitions, especially those to whom are already actively involved as much as they can at this point. There is no doubt in my mind that Buffalo has bottomed out, and the "potential" is finally starting to show itself realistically. Look at all the development, people, and jobs coming into the city... Signs of good economic future are popping up. - One of America's fastest growing medical campuses, fastly approaching new technologies that will change the world. Look at for example M&T Bank... Now a fortune 500 company, they are expanding that they fill up so much office space downtown, that soon they will be planning for a new tower, and combining locations and expanding within it. There are more and more companies investing in this region albeit the high taxes. Once we secede from NYS and become our own Upstate New York, Buffalo will become the largest city in the state, and be the economic trade center for a Global Gateway binationally. I realize you didn't step up to the plate, Livecontent, and settled for moving somewhere else and screwing the region. There is no way I am moving, I have a secure, growing job(s), ambitious planning, and I am blessed to live within a community like this with so much potential. I will follow that out, and I know others will as well. We are certainly not a perfect region by any means, but... Times are changing, and Buffalo is on the rise.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
Canerican- The Carolinas rank in the top ten of unemployment these days - higher than that of NYS.
As for Charlotte being a banking center, those days are over. Wachovia has been bought buy Wells Fargo and Bank of America, unless you don't read the news, is a zombie bank laying of hundreds of people in NC. You might want to update your knowledge of current events. Just a suggestion.
Maybe you don't watch TV, but HSBC has been laying people off left and right in Buffalo. The banking sector has been hard hit, in every state.

And I didn't mention the Carolinas, but I'd imagine that you did because so many of your friends have left here for there. (I know that I mentioned Charlotte, but it is true, Charlotte grows as NYC dies).

I won't go into personal attacks like you did, but the facts are on my side, you can't deny that the Census Bureau is agreeing with me. And FYI, Wells Fargo and Merrill Lynch are both expanding in Charlotte.

Merrell is actually expanding significantly there since they were bought by BAC, and jobs in NYC will certainly be brought to Charlotte. (I read in Forbes that about 650 already have)

The population of America is growing, but the population of our state (especially our city) is shrinking quite rapidly. We need to find solutions, we know the problem.

I can nearly guarantee you that the solution isn't calling people who point out the problem names.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
The population of America is growing, but the population of our state (especially our city) is shrinking quite rapidly. We need to find solutions, we know the problem.

I can nearly guarantee you that the solution isn't calling people who point out the problem names.
Oh? Then what is the solution? More jobs? Where and how do we get the jobs? Lower taxes? How do we do that? ...

Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 PM

94 posts, read 460,575 times
Here is something that I would like to see on this post...someone in the Buffalo-metro that DOES NOT have a secure decent paying job. I'm talking less than 32k (not much, but livable around here) who has a positive outlook for the area. I don't think that it's fair to knock someone who wants to get out or has a un-favorable opinion of Buffalo if they cannot make ends meet? It is too easy to say "I love Buffalo" when you make enough money to pay your bills, not go without, and even save a little.

Show me a lower middle class/poor person that is on this site that truly loves the area, and I think that could potentially bring hope to others.

Just my two-pennies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York