Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,544 times

Advertisements

I just checked out the Woodbury-Monroe area, (by the schools, and outlets).
We live in Queens, I work in Oradell, NJ. (Bergen County) and I'm considering buying first home in Orange County. We have 2 small children(1&3). Need advice on neighborhoods, schools, commute, and house prices and taxes please! Give me a starting point, any info will be much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
I have lived in dutchess hudson valley for 10 years. Dh is a native bronx boy and Nyer. His office moved from bergen (near the GWB) to jersey city. We are going to most likely go to monroe. Schools are great, everything that you need is actually IN the town. Its right down the thruway and you can still be in middletown or rockland pretty easy. They are building another brand new outlets in newburgh..which wont impact monroe too much, but its nice to have anothe avenue of shopping. Its suppose to be as nice or better than the commons and its 15 minutes from monroe..

http://themarketplaceatnewburgh.com/site/

Things are bit different in the Hudson valley region (comming from california..it was culture shock). There is only one major shopping venue PER county. So you have monroe (the outlets). The next mall is in rockland county (palisades) then you have crystal run galleria(middletown) and shops in newburgh.

So its not like queens or Long Island where there is a major mall or major shopping in every town. The region just isnt built that way. I personally like have major and minor shopping everywhere. But you adjust and get used to it. Quality of life hands down is much better for the kids. Its quieter, cost of living is a tad less...not a whole heck of a lot..but it depends on what you are looking for. A typical newer construction home 4 beds, 2.5 baths 2500 square feet in this market may be about 400-500k with taxes of anywhere from 8-15(I have heard that from the brigadoon development).

But this market everything and anything is negotiable. I am researching and there are some deals to be had. I am not a realtor but I find alot of help from this web site: Joshua is a member here, sometimes he comes on to offer advice..but I like his site. Look at monroe.

Hudson Valley Real Estate | Homes, Townhouses and Condos For Sale and Rent - Part 1

Old 06-29-2009, 02:53 PM

34 posts, read 101,478 times
Hi Everyone,

I came across this post and thought that maybe I could offer some assistance. I live in the community of Meadow Winds in the town of Newburgh, NY. I've lived here for years and I really do enjoy the quiet, laid back lifestyle it affords us. My husband was commuting to Bergen County (Including Oradell!), and the drive isn't bad at all! I personally commute into Westchester, and am grateful for 84 and the Taconic every day - nice drive, and we hardly have any traffic to contend with. It's a really nice compromise - we get a very large townhouse that looks and feels like a single family home, the mortgage payment is very manageable, and yet we are still close enough to the metro NYC area if we decide to go into the city.

Anyhow, before I wax on forever, I really do love this place, but my husband's position has recently moved to TX, so it's time to find another new place to hopefully love as much as we love our place! We've made a ton of upgrades over the years, and we wish we could take the place with us! Unfortunately we can not, so I've listed it on the market, at a very aggressive price. Our HOA board president practically fainted and implored us to not give it away, but we need to move on, and we understand that we need to take a bit of a haircut in order to move onward and upward.
Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-29-2009 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: advertising home/please use Classified Ads Forum

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,200 times
To hunny15602...is pricing flexible. it seems like lots of buyers incomes are limited these days and for some there is only one person employed in a family. Are the sales prices manageable in that area for families with only one income of support? We are looking at the Newburgh area as well, but it has to be afforded by just my husband. its been tough. Still no luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York