Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,046 times

Advertisements

What is this all about?

Surcharge for public safety goes elsewhere : Home: The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/732648.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:57 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Cheese,
If you are robbed in an alley, does it matter if the thief buys ice cream for orphans, or buys crack with your money? Neither option negates the fact that you were robbed. Taking money from a person who has worked for it, and giving to those who do not work is wrong.
I grew up in NY, and still consider it "home". Sadly, I will not be returning "home" because of the taxation and political tone of my former home state.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Cheese,
If you are robbed in an alley, does it matter if the thief buys ice cream for orphans, or buys crack with your money? Neither option negates the fact that you were robbed. Taking money from a person who has worked for it, and giving to those who do not work is wrong.
I grew up in NY, and still consider it "home". Sadly, I will not be returning "home" because of the taxation and political tone of my former home state.
I like NY and all, but the taxes are rediculous.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 PM

10,398 posts, read 572,418 times
There are many people in NY who feel that way. I, being one of them. Here in the Hudson Valley, the cost of living is very high and although I do get paid a good wage, I would rather make alittle less and live more simply and pay less taxes somewhere else. The state is lovely with it's majestic Mountains and sandy shores. It has something for everyone and I hate to leave it all behind. However, the culture & economy has made it impossible to live here. There are other equally beautiful regions in our country to live where you don't have to choose the mortgage payment over food for your family or electric and other utility bills. the middleclass is moving out and the wealthy and welfare recipients stay behind, leaving only two classes living here in NY state. It is sad, but I don't see the advantage of remaining here, the land where I was raised, working myself like a dog just to barely survive day to day without really Living........

Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 AM

151 posts, read 714,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeebug59 View Post
There are many people in NY who feel that way. I, being one of them. Here in the Hudson Valley, the cost of living is very high and although I do get paid a good wage, I would rather make alittle less and live more simply and pay less taxes somewhere else. The state is lovely with it's majestic Mountains and sandy shores. It has something for everyone and I hate to leave it all behind. However, the culture & economy has made it impossible to live here. There are other equally beautiful regions in our country to live where you don't have to choose the mortgage payment over food for your family or electric and other utility bills. the middleclass is moving out and the wealthy and welfare recipients stay behind, leaving only two classes living here in NY state. It is sad, but I don't see the advantage of remaining here, the land where I was raised, working myself like a dog just to barely survive day to day without really Living........
The lower Hudson valley is really a beautiful place to live, all your needs are here and you are relatively safe. However it is tough when you forced to leave a place where you have lived most of your life and have family here. The wages are great but I end up losing half of it to taxes and cost of living is so high you are left with next to nothing. Add to that the real estate market bubble never burst here but no matter the property taxes are outrageous anyway.

I do not know who to hate more for me having to leave. The news media - Hollywood that is brainwashing people that we are suppossed to love-worship taxes and government, the government itself or the idiot voters that vote for candidates like it is American Idol.

King George was kinder. The revolutionary war fought over a fraction of what we pay now.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 AM

I really like where I live too, the neighborhood is clean, low crime, plenty to do and the cost of living is cheap. I'm just getting sick of all the taxes driving other people and business away.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
mgb

97 posts, read 260,858 times
We recently received a notice that our property assessment in Cayuga County has changed from $147,200 to $404,000. How does something like that happen? All we did was put new siding on the house. My husband asked how they came up with that figure, and they said they just drove out there & did a visual. Then they lowered it to $299,000. This means our new tax bill should be double.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
We recently received a notice that our property assessment in Cayuga County has changed from $147,200 to $404,000. How does something like that happen? All we did was put new siding on the house. My husband asked how they came up with that figure, and they said they just drove out there & did a visual. Then they lowered it to $299,000. This means our new tax bill should be double.
Ours just came by one day when we were not home and looked at the outside of the house. Ours didn't go up anywhere close to what you said. I guess that could be a good or bad thing, if I redo my kitchen with granite and marble, they won't see it.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM
mgb

97 posts, read 260,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Ours just came by one day when we were not home and looked at the outside of the house. Ours didn't go up anywhere close to what you said. I guess that could be a good or bad thing, if I redo my kitchen with granite and marble, they won't see it.
We weren't there, either. We actually inherited the property several years ago and were hoping to keep it for our children, but have decided to sell since the taxes will now be too high to hang onto it.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:24 PM

10,398 posts, read 572,418 times
It sounds like the rest of the state is suffering as much as the Hudson Valley is. I know the taxes in NY are high, but I didn't realize it had gotten that bad in central & western NY as well. I remember about 6 or 7 yrs ago, my friend & I went to Jamestown, NY for the Lucy & Desi Festival over Memorial Day weekend. We took a bus tour of the area and saw the house Lucy grew up in. The busdriver went on to tell us that her kids tried to buy it but the owners sold it on EBay instead for 70 something thousand dollars. To that I replied, Wow, That is cheap... you can't even buy a shed where I live for that price. He said, "Mamm, around here that is a lot of money, the average house goes for about 40 thousand. I couldn't believe it, my jaw nearly hit the pavement. When I told him the average house around here at the time was about 300 thousand or more, I thought he was going have a stroke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York