Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 06:12 PM

54 posts, read 122,386 times

Advertisements

Dear Readers,
I am a widow (60 years old) who grew up in Elmira, but am currently living in the Hudson Valley. Because of the recent influx of NY commuters cutting down trees and putting up McMansions, the taxes in this area have skyrocketed and not favorable to retirees, of which I will be one in two years. I would like to move to a community with a strong running club, safe streets, and community involvement. Is there any such place left in NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 03:26 PM

89 posts, read 564,855 times
I don't know where exactly but if I were you I would move back to Elmira where you grew up. I live there and its a pretty nice city that's on its way back up.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 PM

103 posts, read 448,550 times
If you would like to live in Lower Hudson Valley/Northern Westchester I would suggest Yorktown. For all your running needs there is Taconic Road Runners Club (http://www.runner.org), they organize local races and have running groups that meet almost every day in FDR park. Great place to run is the bike trail that goes on for miles (north or south). There is always something going on in the community, and you can get as involved in many different things as you would like. Housing prices are more reasonable that in Lower Westchester, you can even choose to live in an age-oriented community (55+). You can find more info about Yorktown online http://www.yorktownny.org; (broken link) and of course don't hesitate to contact me directly for more information.
Natasha

Old 05-22-2007, 05:56 PM

I think you're right. What I could get for my home here would give me a spectacular piece of real estate in Elmira. I do not need to live close to Manhattan any longer. There is a great deal of cultural diversity in the Southern Tier and great hiking, running trails.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 PM

89 posts, read 564,855 times
I think you're right as well. Elmira has some of the cheapest houseing in the country. This would mean that you could buy a great house in Elmira for the same amount of money you spend in Manhattan. There also is great places to run and hike in the wooded areas not too far from Elmira, by places such as the Chemung River. I like to see that you are someone who wants to move here because a lot of people have negative attitudes about this city that kind of rubs off on others. I think this is a step in the right direction.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:53 AM

TVIZ25 -I think a person pretty much can be happy - or sad - wherever they are. Attitude and zest for life is everything. If someone doesn't want to be friendly, they are not going to make friends or enjoy their life. Some people wouldn't be happy anywhere. Having said that, however, one must surround themselves with like-minded individuals and an environment that is conducive to enjoying their lifestyle. Having grown up in Elmira, no matter what anyone may say about its current condition - which I might add is a condition many, many cities in upstate New York are faced with, most jobs having headed South in the 70s and 80s - it is a city which has a lot going for it. A great library, cultural activities due to Elmira College and Corning Glass, hiking trails and extremely friendly people who have time and the inclination to be sociable, and affordable real estate. I think I have talked myself into moving there - yes, you can go home again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York