Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 AM

784 posts, read 2,729,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoco View Post
Oh, didn't know you were the topic police. Lighten up, Comic Book Guy. ("Worst. Post. Ever!")
And on the big-time sports thing. Right. Auburn and Arizona State, with their sterling academic reps, show how jock spending and an elite student body go hand in hand. Interesting how as Cal has improved on the sports fields recently, its academic reputation is bleeding.
I thought you went to Harvard or someplace "elite." What do you know about big state schools?
You failed to stay on topic. This topic is not about financial aid, rather the reasons for the lack of a flagship state school in NY.

Jock spending and an elite student body do not go hand in hand. However jock spending and a flagship school do go hand in hand. Look at: Cal, UT, UF, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Penn State, UConn, U-Illinois, Alabama, Iowa

Old 12-26-2009, 09:39 AM

160 posts, read 564,705 times
Default For the record

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
You failed to stay on topic. This topic is not about financial aid...
Let me refresh your memory about who brought financial aid into this thread:
"12-21-2009, 02:13 PM
NYCAnalyst...
Wrong. Elite schools give financial aid to poor and middle-class students such that it is cheaper to attend one of them than it is a SUNY..."
Now I will back away slowly, making no sudden movements, in an effort to avoid being Tased.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:36 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
It will never happen. Here is why:
  • All the bright kids (top 10% of class) in California that want to stay close to home will go to UCB, UCLA, or Stanford.
  • All the bright kids (top 10% of class) in Texas that want to stay close to home will go to UT-Austin or Rice.
  • All the bright kids (top 10% of class) in North Carolina that want to stay close to home will go to UNC or Duke.
  • All the bright kids (top 10% of class) in Michigan that want to stay close to home will go to U-Mich.
  • All the bright kids (top 10% of class) in Virginia that want to stay close to home will go to UVA or Johns Hopkins.
  • All the bright kids (top 10% of class) in New York State that want to stay close to home will go to Columbia, NYU, Cooper Union, Cornell, Princeton, Harvard, MIT, etc. Not a SUNY. The SUNYs get the "leftovers"
Not true. Not everyone can afford to go private, nor can/will qualify for a scholarship. SUNY schools are not "bad" schools or schools for "dumb" people.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Here's what makes me crazy about SUNY's. After going through the application process 2 years ago, we are doing it again for the upcoming year. I can't afford to send in $40 for each application-oldest applied to 5 SUNY's-only got one acceptance. Applied to 3 private-got into all 3. We've just applied to 2 SUNY's and 3 out of state-all 3 out of state waived the application fee to apply online. I can't just keep sending in money to these schools just so they can turn down my child's application. I want to know where all those fees are going of those turned down. My oldest ended up out of state in Conn at one of their state schools. Being we are both out of work-I can't afford to just give them money and no chance of them accepting my child.

The other issue is that our local SUNY New Paltz is very hard for locals to get into. You have to be the exceptional student or a transfer to get in. They want mainly downstaters or NJ kids. Seems that a lot of out of staters are getting preference over instaters.

I tried to go back to SUNY Dutchess to go into the teaching program-I earned an AAS from there in 2001. Only 15 credits out of 66 I took will transfer-so it's basically starting all over again like I wasn't even in a degree program. I don't understand why a History or English class can't be used in another degree program. So I am not going-I can't afford to repay out everything from start again with out having an income to do so. And don't get me started on the costs of the books-talk about a cash cow!
Of course- b/c it costs more for an out-of-stater to attend a SUNY than it does for an in-stater.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Not true. Not everyone can afford to go private, nor can/will qualify for a scholarship. SUNY schools are not "bad" schools or schools for "dumb" people.
Not everyone can afford to go private, but everyone can afford to go to an elite school (provided they can get in).

Old 12-28-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Not everyone can afford to go private, but everyone can afford to go to an elite school (provided they can get in).
no they can't...not everyone has money, esp. with the recession now. There are a lot of smart kids that come from poor families as well as not-so-smart kids from rich families. Even some middle-class families are having trouble affording tuition these days.

You really like to generalize a lot.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
no they can't...not everyone has money, esp. with the recession now. There are a lot of smart kids that come from poor families as well as not-so-smart kids from rich families. Even some middle-class families are having trouble affording tuition these days.

You really like to generalize a lot.
Ugh. THE IDEA THAT ELITE SCHOOLS ARE ONLY FOR THE RICH IS ONE OF THE MOST IDIOTIC MISCONCEPTIONS AMONGST THE AMERICAN PUBLIC.

The elite schools give enough financial aid so that it's cheaper to go to an elite than to a SUNY.

For example:
  • Harvard is free if the student's parents make under $60K. If the parents make between $120 and $180K, they only pay 10% of their income.
  • Cooper Union has no tuition
  • Stanford and Yale are free if the student's parents make under $60K.
  • Dartmouth's tuition is free if the student's parents make under $75K.
  • Students at UPenn have no student loans if their parents make under $100K.
  • Princeton adopted a 'no loan' policy in 2001 that commits the University to meeting admitted students' demonstrated financial aid entirely through scholarships, grants, and work-study awards.
I attended an elite school and it was cheaper for me than any of the SUNY's.

You really don't know how to do your research.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
That's just not true for everyone. Also, keep in mind that it often times takes money to get into elite schools.

Those who can afford to go to prepratory schools, live amongst the right network, etc have a better chance of getting in than your rural HS valedictorian.

When you take the "elite" schools and then factor in the poor people who make it to them the pure #s are just not that large so the vast majority of "smart poor" don't have them as this golden option

Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
NO.

My sister was accepted to some "elite" schools. My parents could not come up with the money, so she went to a SUNY school...which is cheaper for NY State residents. Would you have preferred my parents sell drugs so that she could have the money to go?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Although the tuition may be free or reduced based on a familys income the other costs associated with attending a school can still put it out of reach for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York