Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2007, 01:08 AM

27 posts, read 148,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missNY View Post
Any yankee down in NC feel like me?? Something is missing here that just isn't home. Lived in the lower hudson valley all my life, got tired of the rat race wanted better life for family....You all know what I mean right?? I even wrote the governor for squashing out the hard working middle class, never heard back. I have been here w/my husband and daughter for 8 LONG months, he's doing better than her and I but we are already putting house back on market. Please NC people when you read this don't get mad I DON"T HATE your state but the majority of you HATE us northerners and I'm sick of it! Guess what you won, we are going back home to kids playing outdoors and neighbors chatting in the front yard and we'll pay through our ***! And yeah some of us may be rude maybe because you are so rude to us, (rolling your eyes as you here my "accent", saying "you won't hold it against me" when I say I'm from NY. I guess I'm bitter, when you get that mostly everyday, how would you feel. Anyway, thanks for letting me sound off and if anybody thinks the grass is greener in NC, think again, don't come here until your kids are grown and you are prepared to live in solitude w/your spouse or significant other.. BYE BYE ignorancy, hello integellency!!! Can't wait to get back, hope my house sells soon!!! I LOVE NY!!!!
hah. where exactly did you live?. im from beacon .. and i hate it!. i'd love to go to north carolina. then again i am only 18. and havent lived much. but as far as kids playing outside, and neighbors chatting.. deffinately not here in beacon. actually i dont think anywhere in dutchess county, perhaps in putnam or westchester. but i heard nc was really hard to find good paying jobs and was kind of on the poor side. but if you ask me, its hard to find jobs here in ny too. so i guess its like that no matter where you go. it all depends on what your field of study and how much experience you have, and what your willing to do for the amount of money you get paid.
ny is so expensive, and i dont think you can ever get ahead. maybe you'll have better success your second time around
but my family sure is having their problems. 2 of my uncles just recently got laid off, one's moving to tennessee.. and the other one is moving into an already extremely crowded house with my other aunt and uncle. my parents, my sister and i arent doing so well either. idk it just seems like were trapped here, and i guess you always appreciate something more when you dont have it anymore, and maybe thats why you miss ny so much. idk. but i cant stand to be here any longer. so after college, im out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 PM

17 posts, read 60,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
That's cause nobody wants to move to your area except possibily illegal aliens....if even they are interested. Your pomposity and arrogance turns people off. i came upon this thread cause it was on top in the forum. You people alreayd messed up Maryland, especially the areas about Washington, D.C. changing our pace of life. People here used to friendly like further south, strangers used to talk to one another, people would let you pass if you signaled instead of speed up to prevent you from passing just for the sake of preventing you.

You New Yorkers, New Jerseyans and Californians move ot other places and force us to change to be just like you. You want a slower pace of life. Whenever you move to a town, your destory the town and transform it to all fast food, chain restaurants and big box stores because that's the way it is in New Jersey. You destroy our local businesses and want the SOuth to be like your hometown where everyone is greedy and materialistic where if your waitress is nice she's just acting because she wants an extra big tip rather than her really being nice like in the south and the midwest.

Ya'll destroyed my state and my community even more than the illegals. At least many illegals upon finding out that in America you don't blast your radio at 1AM or litter everywhere they actually make an effort to change and respect us. You New YOrkers are different. You refuse to change the way you act and respect the way we do things in the rest of the nation. You honk when someone makes a complete stop at a stop sign. You curse when someone is nice and slows down to let another car pass.

Guess what we don't want your here in Maryland, North Carolina, FLORIDA, or anywhere. I'm glad your taking your Hillary Clinton loving arrogant, pushy selves back to New York.
WOW!! It is so sad to see someone who is so jealous and angry at us New Yorkers! Don't worry maybe one day if you can pull your head out of your own ***, you can learn to appreciate that maybe we like the fast food because your food sux! Don't worry maybe when you finally find a girlfriend other than your cousin, you might find yourself wanting to move to New York so that you can know real diversity and culture and appreciate the people around you, instead of be judgemental.
If you haven't noticed I am from NEW YORK!! Be proud of who you are and where you are from, don't be judgemental on those who just want a chance at what they think might be a better life. Who is worse the person who wants a better life for their family and might not know what to expect living somewhere else or the person who makes it impossible for them to simply be happy somewhere they were not born.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,935,102 times
For those that dont love us OH WELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YALL talk silly anyway LOL

Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,676 times
Default ouch!

......Whenever you move to a town, your destory the town and transform it to all fast food, chain restaurants and big box stores because that's the way it is in New Jersey. You destroy our local businesses and want the SOuth to be like your hometown where everyone is greedy and materialistic where if your waitress is nice she's just acting because she wants an extra big tip rather than her really being nice like in the south and the midwest.

Ouch, I guess that southerner told us all off. First off, when I was in the South, (Just left last year) most cities were run by a majority (vast majority) of Southerners!!!!! That would be..homefolk running the politics and all the decisions. It was the transplants from the North that wanted to protect quality of life. And yes, there are tons of Northerners that should be able to tip any elections but you people have such a network of corruption, we were outnumbering you but you still held the decisions and power. it was also a Majority of Southerners who were all the developers--- in bed with the local boy politicians pushing their projects through against the wishes of most of the northerners. Yes, we wanted pizza like what we had but, crap, you dont have to eat it if you dont want. Alot of us appreciated your chopped pork with slaw and cheerwine. And your wonderful "fish camps" (restaurants). We wanted other things too but in small mom & pop settings. It was the greedy Southerners who got a taste of our money and were building all the strip malls and big boxes. We empowered you with growth and numbers and you are the ones who screwed things up.
Even Charlotte which had a few Northern officials were still WAY OUTNUMBERED by officials that were homeboys. The "state" politicians were even thicker with homeboys. So dont spout off with this crap that we came down and ruined your little slumber party. If you think WE are the ones who build all these big box stores, why do you support them. A southerners FAVORITE place to shop is WALMART!!! oh wait that was a southern boy who built that monster. you bank at Bank of America; Hugh McColl was another of your heros.
Oh well, this isnt getting anywhere. Just go ahead and be yourself. enjoy. I'm just glad I left.
Oh well, this isnt getting anywhere.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taweega View Post
I hear ya! I was transferred from LI, NY to pretentious Dallas, TX 15 years ago. I am still trying to adjust to the people, climate and southern mentality. I married a wonderful guy here, he's from Northern MN, we're looking to retire to Upstate NY where there's fresh air and people who get it.
As an upstater born and bred: Thank you, we know we're the best! Too bad all the southerners who are getting so full of themselves that so many NYers are moving there haven't grasped the fact that all those Yankees are simply going to turn NC into SNY (South New York) only with nicer winter weather! After that, we'll lay claim to an unsuspecting western state and when all done, that NY attitude everyone hates will permeate the country !

"Ya'all want a Long Island Ice Tea with that NY piece of pizza?" **SMILE**

Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 AM

118 posts, read 224,127 times
Default It is sad when you can't go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn242 View Post
We would have liked nothing better than to identify our retirement dream town, but to no avail. Looked at houses selling for 500K on 20 acres (or much less), that were dumps. 2nd home market is driving up prices anywhere inside of a 3 hr drive to NYC, killing the locals, and insuring that folks like us won't return. Still have to digest the trip but that's the feeling now.

mn242
I have been attempting to return. Unlike you, I would be renting. It is the oddest phenomena in New York State, particularly in the eastern section, but what you say is so very true. Houses and apartments that were dumps decades ago, remain so. But now, the prices are beyond belief for the exact same wretched properties.

Despite my concerns for the environmental impact of so many people moving to the state of Florida, I have to say that you can't go wrong. Living is better, easier, better quality health care, (relative), so much more for your housing dollar, greater diversity, excellent academia, and, horrors!, much more lighthearted.

I don't want to move there. I want to come home to New York State. It is the place, "I'm from there", in. I think, though, that where I am from, no longer exists.

By the way -- tried NC -- fit more with the locals, but not local, so...no go.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:28 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,094 times
I have read through all 14 pages of posts and have come to the conclusion that it is all in what you are used to. I was born in Atlanta GA and lived there through college except for a few years as a child in Memphis TN. I have also lived in New Orleans and Houston (30 years), but now live in Huntsville AL for the last 9 years. I have travelled extensively to Europe as well as Japan and Russia, but have always felt most comfortable in the South. I find Huntsville residents to be very friendly and very accepting of newcomers as it is a city of transplants with the very large tech presence with Redstone Arsenal and NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center. My friends here in Huntsville are from all different parts of the country (CA, Las Vegas, Missouri, Indiana) as well as Germany and the Netherlands. Interestingly enough none are from the NE or NY in particular. Don't really know the significance of that. My point, however, is that I can understand why a person would want to stay in the area that they are most familiar with. I am most comfortable with the pace of life in the South and do not feel that I would be comfortable with the rush, rush of NYC. Quite frankly I think for me it would be a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. That being said I can understand if that is what you are familiar with, that you would not be comfortable with the slower pace of the south. I see no reason to say negative things about a different area just because it is not what you are used to or where you choose to live.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM

What was I thinking!! Of course, I know someone from NYS - upstate NY. My neighbor across the street moved here from upstate NY about the same time I did (9 years ago). She and her husband moved here when he retired to be in an area with a lower cost of living. Her sister already lived here and her best friend from high school in NY moved here last year at their urging. Very nice people who have invited me to holiday parties at their house on several occassions. None have expressed any desire to go back up north at least not in my presence.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:47 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
I grew up in Bklyn, moved to White Plains in my 20s, and moved to Atlanta in my 30s. GA afforded me a better quality of life. Trying to raise a child on one salary in Westchester wasn't easy. I could easily do it in GA and have free time to spend with my son. The Atlanta area is enough of a melting pot that you don't get singled out as a damn yankee.

Now my son is gone, I have married a man from NC, and we are looking into moving to NC because Atlanta has become too violent. We will avoid small towns because they are not tolerant of outsiders.

Whereever we wind up moving to I will go there knowing that the pizza will not compare to Bklyn pizza, the museums won't compare with NY museums, and when I meet people and they are polite and sweet I will not mistake that for true friendliness. I know the drill... every time someone says "Bless your heart!" you interpret it in your mind as "you moron!" and you will have a better idea of what they just said to you.

That being said, I will not tell my new neighbors how we did things up north or how much better the restaurants are in NY, etc. because they don't want to hear that and, When in Rome do as the Romans do!, so I will keep my NY opinions to myself and I will continue to get by as I always have down here.

Sure, I love NY... but have you ever spent any time with an Evangelical Baptist? They will keep telling you that their way is the best way, and you just keep inching toward the door unconvinced. ( St Thomas Aquinas parish) Well, I guess that is how they feel about us telling them that our NY ways are the best. they have their own ways and we aren't going to sell them on ours, so its easier on everyone if we just keep quiet and try to fit in.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:18 PM

Why would you assume that politeness and sweetness meant anything other than true friendliness? I am a southerner and that is what I have always taken it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York