Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 33,268 times

Advertisements

LOL--In my case my wife is the Yankee,wont leave New York and,im the southern kid-- Old man):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:23 AM

118 posts, read 224,127 times
Default What about water quality?

What I don't understand is why people who want to relocate do not ask questions about the proximity of power plants, and water quality. I keep seeing Rosendale and High Falls listed as good places to live -- they are, but when I lived in High Falls, the State had to come in to install very large water purifiers due to carcinogenic levels of heavy metals in the water that were not going to go away. Has this changed in the last 10 years?

One more thought about relocating anywhere. I liken it to transplanting in the garden. One cannot forget that there will be a period of time of adjustment. The plant may even appear to be failing to thrive. True, sometimes the new location doesn't work for it, but most often, given time, and adjusting to the new soil and light, it flourishes.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 AM

118 posts, read 224,127 times
Default Native Syracusan here. Not Southern Tier.

[quote=bellafinzi;1025868]Thank you! I can see how other people could say a couple of those places are "Central NY", but to me CNY is Oswego County, Onondaga County, Madison County, Cayuga County....maybe Cortland (though, I think of Cortland as the Southern Tier). The Oneonta/Cooperstown area I call Southern Tier too.

I am sorry, but Cortland, and other places mentioned are not considered the Southern Tier. Southwestern NY towns, yes. But 'Central New York' is correct. And, depending on the town, 'Finger Lakes' region.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:56 AM

553 posts, read 1,935,102 times
I started reading some of this thread and stopped after realizing that people down south still are interbreeding. That has to be why they still think the way they do.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times
[quote=Midcoaster;1305999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Thank you! I can see how other people could say a couple of those places are "Central NY", but to me CNY is Oswego County, Onondaga County, Madison County, Cayuga County....maybe Cortland (though, I think of Cortland as the Southern Tier). The Oneonta/Cooperstown area I call Southern Tier too.

I am sorry, but Cortland, and other places mentioned are not considered the Southern Tier. Southwestern NY towns, yes. But 'Central New York' is correct. And, depending on the town, 'Finger Lakes' region.
Here is my logic about Cortland County:

Syracuse MSA = Central New York
Ithaca MSA, Elmira MSA, Binghamton MSA = Southern Tier
Utica MSA = Mohawk Valley

Cortland County is neither in the Syracuse MSA or the Ithaca MSA..... but Cortland County is in Ithaca's CSA. Which essentially means a large percentage of workers commute to Tompkins County for work from Cortland County.....though not large enough to make it into Ithaca's MSA. That is why I believe Cortland County is more connected with the Southern Tier than Central New York.

Here is the map I grew up with.....

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-18-2007 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-18-2007, 10:59 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
I started reading some of this thread and stopped after realizing that people down south still are interbreeding. That has to be why they still think the way they do.
Don't NY'ers marry other NY'ers?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:55 AM

52 posts, read 201,248 times
I NEVER knew that so many people truly hated notherners. It seems a little crazy to me....first of all, I guarantee each and every southerner who has complained about all the development in their towns have enjoyed the convenience that it leads to. No one has any right to complain about something that they CHOOSE to benefit from. Second, to follow an earlier post, small town development is nationwide, not just in the south. And finally, as cliche as it sounds, isn't the US supposed to be about opportunity...please tell me how new development and new cultures in NC are taking opportunity away from anyone!? If you have problems with it, stop electing the people you are electing, and stop blaming the people who are moving the NC for a better life. Take it as a compliment that so many people are impressed by NC and that so many people hope to have the quality of life that you already have.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 PM

49 posts, read 217,867 times
Good point NorthMeetsSouth. If it were the other way around...and a southerner came to NY and spoke about how better things were in NC people up here would be ready to send them on a train home. It works both ways.

Its good to look at things from another person's point of view..it can be an eye opener.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:19 AM

217 posts, read 879,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
LOL..don't you mean inbreeding? But you have to admit, some rural areas of upstate can be scary too. I wonder if inbreeding goes on in some of isolated hamlets.....

Old 08-21-2007, 05:30 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtoNC View Post
I NEVER knew that so many people truly hated notherners. It seems a little crazy to me....first of all, I guarantee each and every southerner who has complained about all the development in their towns have enjoyed the convenience that it leads to. No one has any right to complain about something that they CHOOSE to benefit from. Second, to follow an earlier post, small town development is nationwide, not just in the south. And finally, as cliche as it sounds, isn't the US supposed to be about opportunity...please tell me how new development and new cultures in NC are taking opportunity away from anyone!? If you have problems with it, stop electing the people you are electing, and stop blaming the people who are moving the NC for a better life. Take it as a compliment that so many people are impressed by NC and that so many people hope to have the quality of life that you already have.
I agree with you. But we're speaking as the newcomers; I can imagine that for all the native NC-ers, it gets a bit longinthetooth to have all the northerners descend on their area in short order.....it will all even out eventually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York