Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 AM

177 posts, read 314,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
My sister lives in McAlester, if there is a bigger white trash dump in the US I haven't seen it. That aside, I'm also a UT grad so the chances of me ever saying anything nice about Oklahoma are slim & none
My husband is from Texas and is a UT fan. Now it makes more sense. It still wouldn't hurt to tone the language down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:07 PM

240 posts, read 559,215 times
Q: Why do people move back up north after moving down south?

A: Many reasons. One of them is because a lot of them can't stand it once they move down South (and I can easily relate with that one.)

Don't get me wrong. There are parts of the South that I think are very nice but living down there is so out of the question.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 20,050 times
I currently live in TN but I don't consider myself really a southerner or a northerner. I've lived everywhere in America mostly out west and in the south. I don't have problems with ppl from the north personally. A lot of them are as friendly,,"off the road",, or more as southerners. It's what they cause when they all move south that frustrates me. Like causing over crowded roads,schools,stores,dining,etc. I mean, whats the point in moving south if you're just gonna contribute to the same problems you had up north?
I agree Hillbilly southerners drive too slow, but ppl from the North wanna drive 80mph over the limit.
Also whenever I'm in line at the grocery store I have someone in front of me checking out annoyingly slow taking their good ole time while at the same time huffing and puffing behind me is an impatient Northerner who acts like it's my fault the line is slow.
I think I will move to Branson Missouri. People there seem smart AND friendly.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,765 times
I was born and raised in NYC suburbs. My trade is the repair and installation of commercial and industrial laundry equipment. I had about 10 years experience when I went to Alabama. In 10 years, never had an injury at work, other than a minor cut that I needed a band aide for my finger. Never went to the doctor or hospital for a work related injury until I got down there. Within 6 months, I was severely injured by a co-worker. He was operating a fork lift and I we securing a washing machine to the foundation. He backed up into me and crushed my hand. Three broken bones. I was out of work for over a month. I had to battle workers comp for over a year before I got money for my lost pay.
Laws to protect workers are very week down there. I found a lot of racism and bigotry down there. I am 1/4 Ukrainian and 3/4 Belorussian, but born here. My parents are immigrants. I have a foreign sounding last name. We can't all be Anglo-Saxon. I used to get a lot of strange reactions to my name, what was in my lunch box or even that I like music from my ancestral home. I vwas told to go back to where I came from... even though I'm from the USA.

I stayed down there 3 years. Hated it.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchft77 View Post
My wife heard the other day that people that moved down south from ny are now moving back. has anybody you know (yourself included) done this? If so why? We're wondering because we've thought from time to time about moving down south but would like to know the downsides that other northerners have experienced.

if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. In my area (coast of SC and NC) a lot of people move down here with really odd expectations. They all basically want a small, walkable New England-type town, close to the beach, with low taxes, good schools, safe, with plenty of jobs. Nothing remotely like that exists.

they might move from somewhere like Long Island, and say, "I lived in NYC so I am used to crime." They know very little about the south and underestimate how bad the crime is.

or they might want to "live near the ocean." Not realizing that "near the ocean" was an undeveloped, malaria-infested swamp until the 1940's, and anybody with any sense was living 100 miles inland. Or that tourist areas are very transient... people come and go, few people put down roots. Or, they don't realize that $10/hr with no benefits is a typical wage at "the beach."

or they might ask about bus routes, or trains, or "walkable" areas... or public amenities like parks, pools, etc.. which are foreign to us. The sense of "community" exists between families and friends, or social class... but NOT between all members of the general public -- and public amenities reflect this sentiment.

i could go on... but IMO the whole thing is rooted in expectations. I know people from NY who love it, and people who hate it.

Last edited by le roi; 02-03-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
le roi really brings up valid points, many moved based on their impressions as a tourist. Once the reality of 24/7 living in an area hits home they realize that their expectations are not being met. As many have posted you should really look at day to day life before you commit to move.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:26 AM

48 posts, read 202,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whu View Post
From the FInger Lakes area and living in the St. Pete area... we hate it here. We are constantly trying to figure out how to move back to upstate NY ANYWHERE
Where upstate are you guys looking to return? We are moving back to Baldwinsville, a suburb of Syracuse. We move in April and are counting every day down. I will never complain about the snow again. The only way i want to see FL is through my rear view mirror as I'm finally driving outta here! We've learned that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Good luck to you.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,595 times
Ny does not have the problems that the southern states have ecountered it is gotton very bad afterr living in tn for 30 years I am proud to call ny home !

Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnosister View Post
Ny does not have the problems that the southern states have ecountered it is gotton very bad afterr living in tn for 30 years I am proud to call ny home !
What problems are you refering to?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
I had to leave for financial reasons. I'm moving back for family reasons; now with money.

I have nothing against the south as a whole, but I sure do not like Louisiana or Mississippi.

Where I lived in New York really wasn't that much better than the upland south (save for perhaps more public services). People forget that NY has Appalachian pockets as well. So I feel right at home in places like Tennessee. In fact, most of my friends are in Tennessee. But as I said, family is important to me so back the the NY hills I go.

I'm sure there are others with a story similar to mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York