Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 12:58 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Just for an example,

Troopers: Five arrested in apparent meth lab bust | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News

If I stated walking now I could be there in about 4 minutes. My daughter could be there in about 20 seconds except she's in Texas thank god.

Just life in a small town in Upstate NY......................
great. I can pull random news articles from Florida news sites with similar stories. Crime is all over the place in FL like it is NY. You are fooling yourself if you think it is only condensed into bad city neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Just for an example,

Troopers: Five arrested in apparent meth lab bust | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News

If I stated walking now I could be there in about 4 minutes. My daughter could be there in about 20 seconds except she's in Texas thank god.

Just life in a small town in Upstate NY......................
I live in the South and there's TONS of meth labs busted every week. Some are out of decent hotels even. Don't think this isn't a problem EVERYWHERE. It's not exclusive to NY. You don't own the market on crackheads. Every state has their fair share.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
We can maybe sneak a day or two here and again between drug busts.

I know bad stuff is everywhere. I've been all over the country and I used to party. I can scare up some trouble anywhere.

But if I really thought the rest of the USA was as bad as NY I would say just pull the plug on the whole thing. But I truely believe some, not all, places outside NY still have some value and are worth saving. I have never said other places are perfect just that I think, I HOPE, that some places haven't turned the corner yet.

It would be really hard to keep moving forward if I thought everywhere was as bad as NY. Maybe your right and the whole World is shot but let me have my dream dammit!!!!

Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
A town over from me had 3 huge meth busts in one week. And that's just meth. Drugs are everywhere. You live in a fantasy land if you think it's only a city problem. And all of NY isn't the hell hole you paint it to be.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 PM

31 posts, read 45,605 times
NY Times had a large article on this trend late last year.

The simple answer is that people age out in retirement in the south and run out of money and return to the north for the more generous social support programs.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 20,053 times
Never mind I've decided Colorado is best for me.=)

Old 09-11-2011, 06:09 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Because you cannot make enough money in the south like you ca in the north-not enough opportunities.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,289 times
Can anyone say...South Carolina?...as in Columbia...Irmo...Lake Murray....Lexington...Greeneville...the islands off the coast...Isle of Palms...(etc.)...Charleston. South Carolina, is a very inexpensive place to live. It is rated in the top 10 in US News and World Report as one of the best places to retire.

We do not have mold or rampant users of septic systems. Food is not taxed. Social Security income is not taxed. Retired persons receive a huge break on their home personal property tax. For example, I live in a 3700 Sq. ft. house in Irmo, SC (a suburb of extremely low crime; 10 miles from the center of Columbia), and pay less than $1000.00 per year in property tax. Gas prices are some of the cheapest in the nation.

We have many many cultural and recreational opportunities beginning with Lake Murray, a 600 mile shoreline lake (hydro-power), theaters, three rivers converging in the Columbia area with many recreational opportunities; Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens (top 10 in the country); outdoor band concerts weekly in warm weather, held in The Vista, Columbia City Ballet...on...and on...and on...Much to much to note here.

I am a transplant from NY state and have lived here since 1985. I would be hard pressed to live elsewhere....check out SC.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
All the things you say may be true but its also worth noting that while your little subdivision or even suburb may be safe that the state of South Carolina has one of the highest crime rates in the nation. It also has among the worst public school systems (and it's not getting any better). Now if I didn't have any kids (or my kids were grown) I suppose that wouldn't be very important to me but being that I have 2 elementary school age children there is no way I would choose to put them in such a terrible situation. My cousin & her husband (who are both school teachers) just moved from the Columbia area to NoVa ..... couldn't get out of SC fast enough & I know many others who have felt the same way.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,652 times
S.C.

#1) Sub-standard/bad school systems.
#2) High crime.
#3) Low wages.
#4) Bad/backward treatment of minorities (Afro-American, gay people, Hispanics, others)
#5) S.C. State laws/restrictions to make it more difficult for discriminated-against S.C. residents to vote in elections.

Does NOT sound like "the land of milk & honey" nor a State where most people would want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York