Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,286 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I hope this post is appropriate for this site, my apologies if it is not.
My husband was offered a position in Geneva. Last weekend we spent 4 days exploring the Geneva/Canadaigua area and quite frankly it did not sing to us. We are from the New Paltz/Woodstock area and found the Ithaca/Trumansburg area much more inline with our values and needs. The problem is - regardless there seems to be very little in the way of houses for rent anywhere in the Fingerlakes region. Since we are just moving and are unsure of the area we do not want to commit to buying a house. We just spent 18 months in CA and we were very happy that we had the opportunity to move back to the East coast; since we only rented.
Does anyone have any suggestions of where we can look? We need a 3 bedroom/2 bath off the main road but not too far from town. As I write this, I know I am asking the world. Trumansburg seems to be good fit being close to Ithaca but north so my husband's commute would be under an hour. Plus, the school system seems to be fairly good as we have a very bright 6 year old who tends to impress his teachers and us (but we are bias, being his parents )
I have been glued to Craigslist and Realtor.com, are there any other good sites or publications?
Thanks for all your suggestions, and I look forward to meeting up with everyone. We hope to move up in May.
Peace,
Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarmerswife View Post
Hi,
I hope this post is appropriate for this site, my apologies if it is not.
My husband was offered a position in Geneva. Last weekend we spent 4 days exploring the Geneva/Canadaigua area and quite frankly it did not sing to us. We are from the New Paltz/Woodstock area and found the Ithaca/Trumansburg area much more inline with our values and needs. The problem is - regardless there seems to be very little in the way of houses for rent anywhere in the Fingerlakes region. Since we are just moving and are unsure of the area we do not want to commit to buying a house. We just spent 18 months in CA and we were very happy that we had the opportunity to move back to the East coast; since we only rented.
Does anyone have any suggestions of where we can look? We need a 3 bedroom/2 bath off the main road but not too far from town. As I write this, I know I am asking the world. Trumansburg seems to be good fit being close to Ithaca but north so my husband's commute would be under an hour. Plus, the school system seems to be fairly good as we have a very bright 6 year old who tends to impress his teachers and us (but we are bias, being his parents )
I have been glued to Craigslist and Realtor.com, are there any other good sites or publications?
Thanks for all your suggestions, and I look forward to meeting up with everyone. We hope to move up in May.
Peace,
Debbie
Maybe this will work:
Ithaca, NY Apartments and Houses for Rent, Local Apartment and Home Rentals, House, Townhome, and Condo Rentals, Vacation Rentals, Roommate and Sublet Classifieds :: Search Results - Page 1
MapsKrieg - Ithaca, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent

Another place to consider in the Park Ave. area of Rochester. I don't know if you like the urban vibe, but it seems to be an area with what you are looking for and the drive would be completely on the highway to Geneva. There are some good charter and private schools in the area and even the public schools in that area are decent.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
That Mapskrieg site brings up a couple of promising rentals if you type in 14886 too. Reading the lines and in between a little bit I think Trumansburg would be an excellent area for centering your search.

The Ithaca City schools do extend out to Enfield too so that could be another possibility. The straight county roads in that area can get you up to Rt 96 pretty quickly bypassing much of what passes for congestion around Ithaca.

One free newspaper the "Suburban Cortland-Ithaca Shopper" still had a few real estate ads in quieter locations last time I saw that on my mom's kitchen table. Some folks had been known to advertise in there in preference to the Ithaca Times-affiliated papers because the college kids don't get it.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,286 times
Thanks! Mapskreig is very helpful.
Please keep the suggestions coming!
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York