Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 02:37 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times

Advertisements

I have visited this area a few times, and really loved the country feel, and beauty of this area. Can anybody tell me for a cond, or a townhouse
is the housing real expensive? also are their any negatives abouth this area.

i am retired, so work is not an issue. are the property high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 PM

25 posts, read 91,539 times
The link you want is columbianortherndutchessmls dot com to see homes for sale and prices. I think they are high but if you're retired and want something small, you might do ok.

Beautiful area but very rural. The nearest malls are in Kingston and Albany although Hudson is getting a shopping center that will have Lowes and Super Wal Mart in next few years. Many people find it boring here, but my dad is retired and is very happy with his movies right in town and groceries, haircut and coffee in the morning.

It will be small town living, that is for sure!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:14 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Ditto..very very small town living..quiet and rural....very old fashioned in that there are no big box stores nearby as the previous poster said..some may go as far to say because its so close to columbia county, that its actually depressed...

I would offer an alternative...perhaps rhinebeck?--at least there is some sort of mainstreet feel..again though very rural

Old 06-13-2007, 12:40 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Rhinebeck is nice but overpriced and a mecca for weekenders and the traffic is awful Thurseday- Sunday. Germantown is a great little town to raise young children, but real estate taxes are creeping up in Columbia county too. Not as bad as Dutchess county(Red Hook) Tivoli is a great little town with an a cool energy to it.
Once you live in Germantown you get used to running to Red Hook or Kingston for shopping. Albany is only 45 minutes away, that is close enough.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:30 PM

49 posts, read 217,863 times
Default wondering

I posted a while ago about NY towns with that "New York State" feel. I recieved some great suggestions! Thank you!!

My only reservation is the towns are far away from my family. Due to recent family circumstances I think I am going to look at towns closer by, within a few hours of New Jersey--maybe 2-3 hours away.

A coworker suggested Red Hook, but says its pricey (so is where I live in Northern NJ), and there aren't a lot of jobs(I am studying occupational therapy).

I also hear that Dutchess is a big "retirement" area, which is not what I am looking for.

I would like a smal town area (It can be a small or medium size town/village)
I am not into the big malls and suburban sprawl....so any suggestions?

Cate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York