Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 AM

127 posts, read 748,125 times

Advertisements

I was replacing the original radiator on my 1997 Nissan Altima with 150k on it. After lifting it out I noticed sever rust on the support below that hold the rad. but also link into the cross member that links to the lower engine mount. Everything feels solid, but it is a box beam and the thin front is totally rotted. The bottom, where the bolts go through seem ok.

I brushed on tons of rust inhibitor, but this really is not a fix. I've heard it is an expensive job and one I can't do myself. I was planning on keeping the car for 2 years, tops. Is there a lot of pressure on this single mount? If it did decide to go, would the other mounts at least let the car get home? I drive pretty lightly on local roads with this vehicle.

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,584,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snad5393 View Post
I was replacing the original radiator on my 1997 Nissan Altima with 150k on it. After lifting it out I noticed sever rust on the support below that hold the rad. but also link into the cross member that links to the lower engine mount. Everything feels solid, but it is a box beam and the thin front is totally rotted. The bottom, where the bolts go through seem ok.

I brushed on tons of rust inhibitor, but this really is not a fix. I've heard it is an expensive job and one I can't do myself. I was planning on keeping the car for 2 years, tops. Is there a lot of pressure on this single mount? If it did decide to go, would the other mounts at least let the car get home? I drive pretty lightly on local roads with this vehicle.

Thanks,
Steve
PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Radiator Support - For 1997 Nissan Altima SE 4 Cyl 2.4L

It probably looks like this new but what's the next step? Sorry I don't know as without photos it might be hard to ascertain how sturdy the rest of the assembly you have is.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:35 PM

127 posts, read 748,125 times
was looking at it today and it appears possible to use a piece of angle iron and through-bolt for added support. There is stillgood meat on the lower part of the beam, but the sides are rotted. Adding a 1/4 of steel ought to do the trick and keep her solid for a year or 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti