Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:10 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times

Advertisements

I'm buying from a Honda dealership, from their used lot. I'm in Florida, if that makes any difference of anything as far as cost? I'm not sure what the exact figures are on tax/titled/dealer fees. I know that the online listing stated $697 for the dealer fee, but thats it. The sales guy, who was not pushy at all, said after everything it would probably be around $6500. He said if there's any way, after it goes through the shop, he will try to get it lower if he can. I will most likely know tomorrow the final price.

The price does kind of make me weary, especially after the KBB price. But how is KBB price low and most listings on AutoTrader are in the $4-5k range? Myself, I'm trying to stay under $5k, althought it's hard to find an SUV with low miles at that. It seems like the Xterras are good reliable vehicles that will last. The only turn off is the crap mpg. They look fun, sporty, always caught my eye. I've been searching for an affordable SUV and just haven't found anything I like as much within my price range. Buying from a dealer also makes me feel a little better knowing their mechanics are checking it out, who Im sure are certified, rather than buying from a B-H-P-H that will take my money and run. I don't really know of any really good mechanics myself if I bought one from a private seller and had it checked out.

I'm really running out of time before I have to turn in my lease vehicle, but now you all have me questioning what to do. The dealers always say they have no room to haggle because they base their prices on the market. &honestly, every time Ive seen an online listing for an Xterra and called about it, it's already sold. Thats what makes me think about the demand/popularity, the dealers know it will sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yes, a bit of an exaggeration, but just a bit, they are small inside, I owned one for a while.

The Xterra gets horrible mpg given its lack of power and lack of size. Now I did have the 4x4 version, but it, and numerous people, never got the claimed mpg (just go on the Xterra forums and read the complaints). A Tahoe, which I also owned at the same time, got just the same mpg, yet was bigger and had more power, and all around was nicer.

The Xterra would be great for a trail toy due to its size, but they suck for daily driving, this is because there are better values out there. Nissan made improvements to the Xterra for the next model that addressed a lot of the shortcomings.

But for the deal the OP is talking about, I do not think the OP wants a trail toy or anything, seems like the OP wants some small suv. It seems like the OP is buying from a buy-here-pay-here car lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 11:23 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
I know that the online listing stated $697 for the dealer fee, but thats it.

That has to be the highest "dealer fee" price I have ever seen or heard! Refuse anything more than $100. Really. All they are doing is filling out the sales paperwork for the DMV!

KBB is owned (and was created by) a large consortium of dealerships. The pricing on KBB tends to be high as a result. Do not pay more than KBB private party for any vehicle, no matter what, even though you are buying at a dealership.

Remember that autotrader and other advertised prices are ASKING PRICE - and dealership try to get as much as they possibly can, on every single vehicle. Do not be afraid to offer the dealership a few hundred $ over KBB "trade-in-value". If they efuse, say, thank you, and turn and walk out the door. Trust me, they will stop you or call you within minutes of your arrival back home. They paid KBB trade-in or less to get that used vehicle to begin with.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:24 PM

And let me also say this about the dealer fees...and this is all dealerships I've been going to...Mazda, Toyota, Honda, etc. Every time I've found a vehicle I've liked within my price range or what I'd be willing to pay...once the paperwork comes, the price goes way out of my range I.e. a used vehicle at $5500-6000 suddenly becomes $7,999-$8999. Even though I have $5000 cash to put down. This has happened to me a couple times.
So frustrating.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
And let me also say this about the dealer fees...and this is all dealerships I've been going to...Mazda, Toyota, Honda, etc. Every time I've found a vehicle I've liked within my price range or what I'd be willing to pay...once the paperwork comes, the price goes way out of my range I.e. a used vehicle at $5500-6000 suddenly becomes $7,999-$8999. Even though I have $5000 cash to put down. This has happened to me a couple times.
So frustrating.
You need to take someone with you that is a tough negotiator.
Plus, find out what the actual sales tax and licensing cost is in your area.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:28 PM

Even if it's from a manufacturer's (or 'brand name' would you say??) dealership like Honda? Its not a buy here pay here place.
Sorry If I;m asking alot of obvious questions, I just don't know and not familiar with this stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post

That has to be the highest "dealer fee" price I have ever seen or heard! Refuse anything more than $100. Really. All they are doing is filling out the sales paperwork for the DMV!

KBB is owned (and was created by) a large consortium of dealerships. The pricing on KBB tends to be high as a result. Do not pay more than KBB private party for any vehicle, no matter what, even though you are buying at a dealership.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:43 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times
Quote:
I'm buying from a Honda dealership, from their used lot. I'm in Florida, if that makes any difference of anything as far as cost? I'm not sure what the exact figures are on tax/titled/dealer fees. I know that the online listing stated $697 for the dealer fee, but thats it. The sales guy, who was not pushy at all, said after everything it would probably be around $6500. He said if there's any way, after it goes through the shop, he will try to get it lower if he can. I will most likely know tomorrow the final price.

The price does kind of make me weary, especially after the KBB price. But how is KBB price low and most listings on AutoTrader are in the $4-5k range? Myself, I'm trying to stay under $5k, althought it's hard to find an SUV with low miles at that. It seems like the Xterras are good reliable vehicles that will last. The only turn off is the crap mpg. They look fun, sporty, always caught my eye. I've been searching for an affordable SUV and just haven't found anything I like as much within my price range. Buying from a dealer also makes me feel a little better knowing their mechanics are checking it out, who Im sure are certified, rather than buying from a B-H-P-H that will take my money and run. I don't really know of any really good mechanics myself if I bought one from a private seller and had it checked out.

I'm really running out of time before I have to turn in my lease vehicle, but now you all have me questioning what to do. The dealers always say they have no room to haggle because they base their prices on the market. &honestly, every time Ive seen an online listing for an Xterra and called about it, it's already sold. Thats what makes me think about the demand/popularity, the dealers know it will sell.
Just because its a nice clean honda dealer with a service shop in the back. Does NOT mean all those guys back there are certify mechanics. It's a show. Just 5 guys are certify mechanics and the other 25 guys in the same uniform are not.
What makes you think a honda dealer won't take your money? It's a business, they are all the same, only difference is honda dealer is bigger and a bigger presence.
They take the same of money or more.

Not too many people know of a good mechanic either.
What you want to do is ask around your friends, neighbors, co workers who they trust and use.
You contact those people.. Ask them if they do pre purchase inspection. Or a mobile auto inspector.
Ask the if they you can pay for someone to come with you..

That price is outrageous... Since, it appears you like it. I am not gonna talk you out of an xterra.
But not for that price. At most that vehicle with its accident history, with age and mileage. It's worth at most 4500. .
I wouldn't pay more than 3500

Don't be in a rush. You can walk into a money pit.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:00 AM

Thanks, I think I will try to talk them down to $4500ish out the door. I have some doubts they will go for it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It does seem a bit high priced to me too. I did just find the exact vehicle, except manual, listed for $4600 and another X with less miles for $4100 from a private seller.
However, there was a Nissan Frontier with 350k miles at the Toyota dealership and they were asking nearly $4k....before the 'fees'
Maybe it's a Florida thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Just because its a nice clean honda dealer with a service shop in the back. Does NOT mean all those guys back there are certify mechanics. It's a show. Just 5 guys are certify mechanics and the other 25 guys in the same uniform are not.
What makes you think a honda dealer won't take your money? It's a business, they are all the same, only difference is honda dealer is bigger and a bigger presence.
They take the same of money or more.

Not too many people know of a good mechanic either.
What you want to do is ask around your friends, neighbors, co workers who they trust and use.
You contact those people.. Ask them if they do pre purchase inspection. Or a mobile auto inspector.
Ask the if they you can pay for someone to come with you..

That price is outrageous... Since, it appears you like it. I am not gonna talk you out of an xterra.
But not for that price. At most that vehicle with its accident history, with age and mileage. It's worth at most 4500. .
I wouldn't pay more than 3500

Don't be in a rush. You can walk into a money pit.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Ah, now that you say you are in FL this makes a bit more sense. I used to live in FL, a lot of dealers there charge exorbitant fees that a lot of them say are "State Mandated" and cannot be reduced or negotiated.

They are lying.

I bought two cars in FL, one dealership advertised a price at $27,999. That was a pretty good deal, so after calling them up, confirming the price, drove out to see the car. When signing the paperwork, they said that an additional charge of $988 would be applied... in addition to TT&L. They said it was required by the state of FL. I got up and walked out after giving them a piece of my mind.

They called back around 3 hours later and said they'd "waive" the fee by reducing the amount of the car by that much.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Thanks, I think I will try to talk them down to $4500ish out the door. I have some doubts they will go for it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It does seem a bit high priced to me too. I did just find the exact vehicle, except manual, listed for $4600 and another X with less miles for $4100 from a private seller.
However, there was a Nissan Frontier with 350k miles at the Toyota dealership and they were asking nearly $4k....before the 'fees'
Maybe it's a Florida thing.
You would still be paying way too much. If they try attaching fees, that is time to walk out.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
You need to get away from this dealer. You are talking about a 15 year old car with 136,000 miles. Did you do a carfax on your own? Has the truck been in a major accident (airbags replaced)? Is all the maintenance up to date? You can do a 1 month car rental while you get a reasonable deal to take some pressure off. I realize you have fallen for this xterra, but that price is a joke.

They are a Honda store looking to make as much money from you as possible - nothing more - nothing less. You need to walk away from the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti