Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 AM

671 posts, read 890,789 times

Advertisements

Thing is there's a certain fit for different reasons..I remember when a cars appearance was the primary reason I bought a car. The last time I bought one I sat in over 20 cars...It was the seat comfort that mattered most...Things change,today I want a car I can drive in for over an hour and be able to stand upright after I exit it. But that box is UGLY,UGLY,UGLY,,it never made my "take a look at it" list....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
For me it started with the Kia commercial with the hamsters. I found that commercial so annoying and whenever I see people in those square little cars, I see them as "hamsters" on a proverbial wheel. Such a turn off and not the feeling I'm going for when driving or living. Haha. But if it works for you, enjoy.
This, I couldn't stand those hamsters, and whenever I see a Soul I imagine the driver/passenger tapping their fingers on the window jamb while leaning out the window LOL

Cube and Juke are the ugliest to me (but I have a Mini I love so who am I to judge hahaha )

Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Why would you buy a car that apparently you like and fits your needs and then post your concerns about why someone else may or may not like it? I don't understand these kinds of posts, at all....
Maybe she's concerned that people don't like it for serious reasons....like maybe they break down a lot or don't get the gas mileage advertised.

I personally think they're kinda cute, kinda ugly, but mostly cute. The only thing that bothers me is the back window, not because asymmetry bothers me (I actually like a little asymmetry in some situations), but because it seems that it would make it harder to see out of. It would have a fantastic view all around if that solid wall wasn't there.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I think they have a certain appeal, but, like the Scion XB and the Honda Odyssey, I would like them better if they didn't have any curves at all, just straight sides and straight edges.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I think the Nissan Cube is one of the best looking new cars sold in the US. It looks like an auto show concept. The asymmetrical rear glass, the bulldog front fascia and ripple-look headliner are fantastic design elements. That it's affordable and practical are huge pluses.

I prefer the Cube over the Kia Soul although the Soul is a cool looking vehicle.

Americans in general are very conservative in their auto styling tastes. The Europeans and Asians are much more adventurous when it comes to design. If you think the Cube is weird, you should check out some Citroens.

The Pontiac Aztek is ugly because it looks like a hodge-podge of elements just jammed together. The vehicle appears to be very practical, however. I wonder how long before the Aztek becomes a cult car, like the Gremlin and Pacer, that shows up in movies and ads?

I don't buy the "this demographic should drive that kinda car" rule. For practical reasons, young drivers should drive safe, under-powered vehicles, but there's no reason why some buffed MMA guy shouldn't drive a white VW Rabbit Convertible or a middle-aged accountant drive a lowered Civic with wild graphics and a huge wing -- as long as it makes them happy.
The Aztek actually does have a following and clubs - I owned one. Aztek was ugly for sure but quite a practical vehicle.

The Cube just looks like another "The Millennials Will Go For This" vehicle - which, like the Soul, totally missed its demographic.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
There are a few factors working against it. I think the aesthetics don't work for most people. sales declined when they switched to the asymmetrical window and now it has been discontinued, even in japan where the previous versions were very popular. it doesn't age very well. (however I don't think cars like the Juke or Soul or Scions age well, either) In america, that size of vehicle is not as popular as it is in asia and europe. most people still want BIG cars in the USA. As an urban commuter the "tiny box on wheels" is actually one of the most useful type of car for day to day driving. However most people in the USA live in a suburban or semi urban environment where such a small car is not much of an advantage, and may actually be a disadvantage because it's underpowered.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:17 AM

279 posts, read 356,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You must have really hated the earlier versions of the Scion XB or later versions for that matter.
http://scruss.com/wordpress/wp-conte...s_scion_xb.jpg

LOL !! Yup, that darn things just butt ugly... but someone's going to love it, and that's just fine.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 AM

279 posts, read 356,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm with you on both counts. Ugliest cars since the Pontiac Aztec but worse. I also consider the Nissan Leaf to be ugly, as are most of the electrics other than Tesla.
Aztec - Ouch, I still get a shiver down my spine when I think of one. The Tesla on the other hand warms me right up !!! Actually I think it's illegal to have the name Aztec and Tesla in the same paragraph.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:34 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Personally, I fell in love at first glance & as far as I'm concerned, it is a dream to drive. The mileage is supposed to be 27 - 31. I'll see as time goes on.

Why do people not like this car? Does anyone have an opinion?

As you can see, people aren't as liberal in their taste for cars as they are politics. Everyone seemingly prefers conventional styling.

Conventional = conservative.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:34 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
I like the Cube, it's a sci fi, practical car that is artistic in it's asymmetry.

Boxes are the most efficient shape for packaging stuff and people. So a small box will have more room in it than a medium sized or large sized sedan form, which makes them very useful as an economical vehicle for carrying things. but there's only so much you can do stylistically with a box, so seeing the Cube is refreshing, as they managed to make it different and unique and even concept car stylish without taking away ANY of it's utility or function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti