Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times

Advertisements

Is it my imagination or fact that there are more Nissans on the road. As I drive I'm interested in seeing what others drive as their vehicle of choice. Here in autocentric California, I seem to be seeing more Nissans. Is Nissan becoming more popular than Toyota and Honda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 12:15 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Is it my imagination or fact that there are more Nissans on the road. As I drive I'm interested in seeing what others drive as their vehicle of choice. Here in autocentric California, I seem to be seeing more Nissans. Is Nissan becoming more popular than Toyota and Honda?
They can usually be had cheaper on sale ergo the influx....Nissan has been really trying to clean up it's reliability image for quite some time and it is working. Their cars are better built today than as little as 5-8 years ago and you can see the changes.

The styling has always been a strong suit for them but, in the past, they had unusual issues mostly due to how they were designed. The Altima is selling very, very well and with good reason. Good fuel economy, attracts it's targeted audience and then some, reasonably priced. It competes with the more bland Camry and conservative Accord.

Still not quite there but, they are gaining marketshare. Or so it seems.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
I see alot of Ford Cars, Trucks and SUV's and quite a Few Ram PU trucks as well as alot of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Infinity entry level luxury Cars and SUV's.

Actually to be honest there is quite decent mix of everything up here in the PNW but PU Trucks, CUV's/SUV's and Entry Level Luxury mid-size cars are the most common based on waht I see on the Roads.

I Guess it kind of depends where you live and if you live near mass transit or in the city or the suburbs or out in the boonies... I would say a good 80-85% of people where I live own a 4x4 Full-size PU truck or a Mid-Full-Size Suv as their 3rd or 4th vehicle here in the burbs as most use them for DIY weekend trips to Home Depot or own a Travel trailer or 5th wheel.

As for Nissan would have to say the second generation Pathfinder, Sentra SE and SE-R, 350Z and 370Z as well as Infinity QX4, FX35/FX45 were quite popular a decade ago and the current and late model Infinity G-series Coupe and Sedans, Nissian Xterra and on a smaller note current Pathfinders are still popular and the Nissan Armada was big flop up here though not sure about your region though.

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-26-2015 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I see a lot of Nissans on the road. Some are hard to miss! The styling on many of their models is bizarre at best. I have never let style be a factor in car buying decisions, and apparently lots of people are the same way. I value reliability above all else, but Nissan's reliability has waned in the past few years.

I have been driving for for 47 years. I have owned 23 different cars. There has been a Nissan in my garage for the past thirty years, but I have only owned two! They were so good, I didn't think about replacing them! I bought a new 1985 Nissan Sentra, kept it eight years, then traded it in on a 1993 Nissan truck. I have had it nearly 22 years. The Sentra was a great car needing only a new muffler in the eight years I owned it. The truck has been fantastic. It's needed less than $1000 in repairs (not including tires and batteries) in the 22 years I have owned it.

That being said, I doubt I will buy another Nissan. Their quality is not up to the standards of Toyota, Honda or even Hyundai anymore. They are still way better than anything out of Detroit, but cars cost too much to pay for one that may cause problems.

I see a lot of Altimas on the road. They are not weird looking. My daughter and son in law have a Versa that has not caused too many problems, but is pretty crude.

If my truck ever wears out, and I feel the need for another truck, I might consider a Nissan Frontier or a Toyota Tacoma, but all pickups are too big in this day and age, so I would probably not opt for a truck again.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Here they seem to be considered the lower cost answer to Toyota, Honda and Subaru, for those that refuse to buy American big 3 cars. We see very few of them in our state, where Subaru is the biggest seller according to DMV records.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Is Nissan my vehicle of choice? Heck no. Heck-to-the-no! Sorry, but I have a set of eyeballs and a very bad gag reflex, so I look the opposite way when Nissan's come down the block.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:43 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
I still wouldn't drive one, reliability is just barely a step above Chrysler, and everything they make has a CVT unless it's something with a true manual like a 370Z.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:34 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Yes.
I've owned several. The 2008 Altima I had was a beast. I had well over 250k miles on it when I sold it, and it had literally no issues whatsoever.
My '06 Maxima is pushing 170k miles and still runs like a champ.
I'm looking to buy a newer Altima.
The CVT took some getting used to, but it worked very well with its engine.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:56 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
I have had 3 nissans and none of them have ever given me issues. I currently drive the quest minivan and have had no problems with the cvt.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:10 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
No. I considered an Armada a couple years ago, but it was just lagged to far behind its competitors. Nissan really needs to update the Titan/Armada ASAP. They have good bones, don't let them die on the vine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti