Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:54 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Over the years, we've owned a 2005 Altima, 2 2006 Infiniti M45s, 2008 Pathfinder, and 2 Armadas (08 and current 12). The only issue we've had is with the battery going out like clockwork at 2.5 years or so. Rock solid vehicles.
I think Nissan has gotten a bad rep over the past few years due to them switching many of their models over to cvt and consumers not liking the feel of or being familiar with how a cvt operates. It does take some getting use to. Especially after driving a conventional automatic for many years.

I'm currently driving a 2012 Nissan Rogue and aside from routine maintenance I have not had any issues with the vehicle whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 09:14 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Around here we see a ton of Altimas and the old Rogues but not very many Pathfinders. I think people like "value" that the Altimas and Rogues offer.

The SUV of choice is clearly the Honda Pilot.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:37 AM

670 posts, read 1,442,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I think Nissan has gotten a bad rep over the past few years due to them switching many of their models over to cvt and consumers not liking the feel of or being familiar with how a cvt operates. It does take some getting use to. Especially after driving a conventional automatic for many years.

I'm currently driving a 2012 Nissan Rogue and aside from routine maintenance I have not had any issues with the vehicle whatsoever.
True, CVT does seem to get a bad rap, not sure if it's justified or not. I've had a few loaners with it and while it was definitely different, I'm not sure it would make or break a sale for me either way.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:38 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post

The issue with the CVT transmissions were failures. The earlier models are well known for having numerous failures and very high replacement costs.

I still think a huge issue with Nissan is quality control. Engines and transmissions (excl CVT) are excellent. It's sad that they put them in vehicles that have issues with electrical gremlins (Titan, Xterra, etc...), paint (Titan, Altima, etc..), rear differentials (Titans)... you get the picture.

I'd take a mid to late 90's small Nissan pickup in a heartbeat. Their newer stuff... eh not after owning them.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:14 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
This thread is right in my wheelhouse. I drive a lot and always buy used Japanese compacts for my work car. My brands of choice have always been Nissan and Mazda. I'm convinced you get nearly the same reliability and longevity with these as you do with a Toyota or Honda at thousands less. My history has certainly confirmed this belief. Going back to '91 I've owned an Altima, Maxima, 2 Proteges and a Mazda 3 and every one has gone 185,000-250,000 mostly trouble free miles

Old 01-29-2015, 11:20 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Regarding the CVTs I was under the impression that like the trans problems with Hondas they have made big improvements in the quality. They do feel weird but it depends on the power train. The first one I drove was a friend's Maxima, then a '12 Sentra and both had fairly strong engines. So it felt very smooth. But get in a Versa with that engine that sounds like a blender and it really is a hard sell, the lag was a full second plus. But then again the Versa is pretty undriveable for other reasons as well

Old 01-29-2015, 12:33 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Man i don't know where to begin. The 2002-06 Nissan Altimas were not very good cars. The Pathfinders were, and still are still over price and Semi unreliable.
The Nissan Versa has a lot of kinks They need to iron out (click link below)
If you have a Nissan Altima that didn't explode during these years, consider your self lucky.
2002 Nissan Altima Problems, Defects & Complaints
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Versa/
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Pathfinder/2005/

Old 01-29-2015, 12:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The issue with the CVT transmissions were failures. The earlier models are well known for having numerous failures and very high replacement costs.

I still think a huge issue with Nissan is quality control. Engines and transmissions (excl CVT) are excellent. It's sad that they put them in vehicles that have issues with electrical gremlins (Titan, Xterra, etc...), paint (Titan, Altima, etc..), rear differentials (Titans)... you get the picture.

I'd take a mid to late 90's small Nissan pickup in a heartbeat. Their newer stuff... eh not after owning them.

I hate the feel and sound of them. When I floor it to pass someone I don't want the engine shooting up to redline and staying there until I let off the gas. Just watching YouTube videos of 0-60s in a cvt is enough to make my ears bleed.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:50 PM

45 posts, read 47,659 times
Neither Nissan, Honda or Toyota...

we went with the new Mazda 6 and the new Ford Escape. Before these were Audi, VW GTI,... we tried the new Kia Optima as well- never any of the above 3, they just didn't seem as appealing as others.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:59 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
my all time favorite car is the 95-99 sentra. great on gas, solid, heavy frame. never left me stranded. I've had 3 that I passed along and they were all awesome cars. I like the xterra but settled on a taurus x b/c of the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti