Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,827 times

Advertisements

My frontier is overheating at idle, but cools down when I get moving again. Radiator fan right? Here's what makes me think differently: if I put it in park and raise the rpm to driving range it cools down as well. What could it be? Thanks so much in advance for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:48 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
The fan is a good first bet.. But you certainly could have a water pump that's not pushing the coolant through enough when it's sitting still.

One thing i'd question, because I almost got burned on it.. Is it really overheating, or is the temp gauge climbing to a point that you don't feel comfortable with? If so.. Has the thermostat been changed?

I have a Chevy Colorado and had a thermostat fail.. Stuck open, so it never really warmed up.. When I replaced it.. I thought it was odd, looking on the parts shops, that they had 180 degree and 195 degree thermostats.. I bought the GM part.. Which was 195.. Seems that about 2 years after the truck came out, they decided "Hey, we can put the 195 thermostat in here and it will improve the mileage/emissions/whatever about 1%".. Problem is.. The temp gauge in the truck is still calibrated so that dead center 'normal' is 180.. So, it always runs slightly about mid-range, and on a hot day, sitting at idle, it comes very close to the third tick mark.. When you're used to it never really going above the middle, and then get used to it never going above a quarter because the thermostat is stuck open.. Seeing it climb 3/4 of the way to hot will freak you right the hell out.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,827 times
It's definitely overheating. I'm not 100%, but I don't think the thermostat has ever been changed on it either. Would it still cool when in park and pressing the gas if it was a fan?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:17 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdevans View Post
It's definitely overheating. I'm not 100%, but I don't think the thermostat has ever been changed on it either. Would it still cool when in park and pressing the gas if it was a fan?
I'd think no.. Not familiar with the Frontier, whether it's an electric or mechanical fan.. But, i'd look more towards the water pump, or something restricting the flow of coolant.. Or even as simple as air in the coolant system.

Is there anything that led up to this that may be important? Coolant flush, other work done? Or.. Did it 'just start'? Mileage?

Old 07-14-2015, 08:58 PM

27,120 posts, read 15,303,353 times
If you end up changing the water pump you might as well do the timing belt while you/they are in there.

The two are usually done together.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:05 AM

450 posts, read 596,923 times
Have you changed your coolant recently? My 2005 frontier had the same problem until I saw Edd China burp the cooling system. I left the cap for the overflow tank off and ran the engine until it was hot. Bubbles and noises started coming out the overflow tank. The radiator cap was on at the time. When the noises and bubbles stopped I put the cap back on and the ole truck didn't heat up anymore. Been five years now and no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti