Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
That was my sarcsm at work again....not to offend those who have good reunions. We may also see why we didn't remain friends with them because of how different our lives turned out and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But we do go on from high school and we do have our memories forever - we don't stay in a high school frame of mind forever.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I was moved around a lot as a child and changed schools many times so really never formed any real relationships with my peers. But anecdotally I've been treated to many stories over many years of the high school reunion deal and it's all been pretty hilarious and I completely understand what poster Thursday was saying! The class nerd segues into the multi millionaire, the adored jock ends up a major pot-bellied beer-swilling hog behind on his child support payments and all else inbetween - both males and females on all scores.

None of us can dent what the OP holds true and fast at his tender age but we can enjoy some sidelines for humor!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yes, you do and most normal people do. Once people go away to college their whole life and circle of friends change and it is rare they are still good friends with one or two people they went to high school together. You are stuck in a time warp.

But, to humor you, I think this is what YOU WANT to hear, "Oh you poor thing, you are absolutely right, the whole world is mean to you and you are so right and they are wrong. Your personality is so wonderful we just can't understand why someone would unfriend you on facebook it's just so cruel." I don't know if you've noticed this but out of three threads and thousands of posts no one has even come close to saying that.

Everyone has been telling you life changes and here's what to expect as normal and you want and choose to be ignorant. You can start a million threads and you'll still get the same responses.

So, high school does, in fact go away, you are left with memories that won't go away and when then you get to go to reunions and it reinforces why you didn't stay friends with these people.

Again, get the huggies off, grow a pair, put on your girl pants and get out there before you lose the opportunity to experience college because you are still stuck in high school. Maybe mommy should have held you back a grade or two.
Are you saying if facebook was around when you were in high school, you would delete everyone from your high school after you graduated?

Because you're essentially saying high school friendships end when high school ends.

Ironically, they were thinking of having me stay back in Kindergarten. But I didn't.

And just because high school is over doesn't mean I need to stop being friends with people from high school. When I was starting college, my mom said "make new friends but keep the old"

I have friends that are still in high school (as well as some friends from my high school that graduated). I enjoyed seeing them when I went home. I don't see them as often anymore, but we were still friends when I went home.

It's not about how often you see each other. It's just about whether or not you hit it off.

Last edited by city_data91; 02-21-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Are you saying if facebook was around when you were in high school, you would delete everyone from your high school after you graduated?

Because you're essentially saying high school friendships end when high school ends.

Ironically, they were thinking of having me stay back in Kindergarten. But I didn't.

And just because high school is over doesn't mean I need to stop being friends with people from high school. When I was starting college, my mom said "make new friends but keep the old"

I have friends that are still in high school (as well as some friends from my high school that graduated). I enjoyed seeing them when I went home. I don't see them as often anymore, but we were still friends when I went home.

It's not about how often you see each other. It's just about whether or not you hit it off.
See, YOU are OBSESSED with high school - it means everything to you and YOU can't understand that people move on from high school and you won't be enclosed in a building with the same 100 plus people for four years like you were in high school and to stockpile people you have absolutely no contact or relationship with and get ticked off and name call them because they defriend you and you can't understand that says a lot about how messed up you are viewing life.

I graduated high school a year early and went right off to college. I am friends with two people I went to high school with and I don't keep a directory of everyone I knew or said hello to in order to make me feel important or as a worth while person. If you are stuck in high school then you are wasting a great time in your life in college. Cut the cord - want to borrow my sissors?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:10 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
I graduated high school a year early and went right off to college. I am friends with two people I went to high school with and I don't keep a directory of everyone I knew or said hello to in order to make me feel important or as a worth while person. If you are stuck in high school then you are wasting a great time in your life in college. Cut the cord - want to borrow my sissors?
I won't lie and say that I don't have a few people from high school on my Christmas card list, but for the most part, I was glad to be out of high school and didn't look back. It's very freeing to be out of that mindset, to not worry about what others think of you and focus more on what you think of them. It's nice to hear when people do well or get married or have kids, but to call a spade a spade, we're not friends anymore. People drift apart, and it just happens; no fighting or paperwork involved.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default Omg

I had one friend from high school and we drifted apart 3 years post graduation after I was having my share of growing pains and he didn't have them and couldn't relate

Same for college friends, when I had growing pains most of those friends weren't there for me except for one, even that has drifted apart tho were were always on good terms

I didn't decide what I was gonna do with my life until I was 25, and i moved out at 29. by that time, looking back, none of those friends(except the college friend he was supportive) played a part in my progress toward independence

anytime i look back on high school, it is only about when life was easier and care free, as well as the 70's music we knew in high school. i never think about past friends or people i knew

Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Believe me, I was excited to finish high school.

But I guess it's different for me because I graduated high school during an awkward time. I graduated high school at a time when a lot of people from my high school were already facebook friends with each other.

Whereas if someone graduated high school before facebook, they could just move on and there was no unfriending. Nothing personal.

But now when people move on, it's something personal if they unfriend. It's like they're saying "We may or may not of been actual friends in high school, but I don't like you now"

Thursday, I might have your views on high school when I'm your age (whatever age that may be). But keep in mind I haven't been out of high school for very long.

I'm probably never gonna go to a high school reunion. But it sounded like you were speaking from experience, Thursday, when you described a high school reunion. Why did you go to a high school reunion if high school was such an unimportant part of your life?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,531 times
Once a friend always a friend. Unless there is reason to be otherwise.

My best friend from 11 is still my best friend though I can't compete with vaginas.

Speaking of which...I think I need to find me one of those.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Once a friend always a friend. Unless there is reason to be otherwise.

My best friend from 11 is still my best friend though I can't compete with vaginas.

Speaking of which...I think I need to find me one of those.
Exactly. Once it's been decided you're friends, you stay friends unless there's a good reason to stop being friends.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM

I am enjoying the college experience. But that doesn't mean I need to forget about everyone I went to high school with.

Why is this so hard to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships