Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times

Advertisements

My friend's fiancé is running for local political office.

I am very close to my friend, but we don't discuss politics because we are on opposing sides of the fence. She is much more moderate in her views than her fiancé is.

We received an invitation to a Political fundraiser from my friend's fiancé and I really do want to support him because I know he really wants to get into politics. BUT I am not crazy about giving money to a party that I really don't believe in and has policies which I find repugnant.

I think we are just going to put politics aside and go to support him and write off the money even though we don't support his cause.

That's the right thing to do, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
The way I see it, all political parties are repugnant. All are essentially bands of thugs who care little about the actual welfare of the country's citizens, but rather about amassing power for their own cadre of mobilized supporters. In that sense, the smart voter realizes that if the agenda of either political party were fully realized, you would have a bankrupt, totalitarian state. The only question remaining is which freedoms get stripped away. That's why in a democracy, each party serves the purpose of blunting the depredations of the other. So if somebody tells me that he is a straight-ticket supporter of either, either I view him as is cahoots or I start checking for lobotomy scars.

Meanwhile, friends are friends. I mean is the guy a Nazi? Is he a fire-breathing radical? If he's not, go ahead and give him an attaboy for trying to make the world a better place. What's more, if he's running for local political office, he far more likely to be dealing with filling potholes on city streets that influencing major issues.

So, on that level, the more important question to ask is this: Is this a decent, honest, hard-working guy? Can he be entrusted with the public money? If so, then attend without reservations.

Last edited by cpg35223; 03-30-2011 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times
I honestly don't think so. Not that your support will put him in office, but your friend shouldn't expect you to support a candidate whose platform you don't believe in. If she did, how is she a friend.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
How local? I'd support a friend for dogcatcher even if I disagreed with their politics. However, if their election could result in changes or policies that I do not support or think would be harmful, I'd simply wish them well and decline to attend.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
My friend's fiancé is running for local political office.

I am very close to my friend, but we don't discuss politics because we are on opposing sides of the fence. She is much more moderate in her views than her fiancé is.

We received an invitation to a Political fundraiser from my friend's fiancé and I really do want to support him because I know he really wants to get into politics. BUT I am not crazy about giving money to a party that I really don't believe in and has policies which I find repugnant.

I think we are just going to put politics aside and go to support him and write off the money even though we don't support his cause.

That's the right thing to do, right?

My credo is, people first - policies, politics and religion second

Good grief, if I had to distance myself from every loved one or friend I have disagreement with on those issues I'd be a lonely camper, lol!!!

Funny but true story, my husband and I were on the way to get our marriage license when I discovered we weren't even members of the same political party.

I say GO, have fun, support your friend by your presence, then vote your conscience on election day

Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Is the fundraiser for your friend's fiancé or for the political party?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:25 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I say go to the fundraiser, since you do support the guy even though you don't support his political party. Have a good time.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
Is the fundraiser for your friend's fiancé or for the political party?
It's for his and 'his fellow candidate's campaigns'. Checks are made out to the political party. It's going to be tough to write a check to that party , but I agree with the people first, everything else second.

I'm the Maid of Honor at their wedding so we obviously don't let our differing views get in the way of our relationship, but I was surprised to be invited to this particular event as they know our views on politics could not be more different! Lol.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
In my opinion, NO. I would go to his fundraiser but would give NO money to something I didn't agree to. If this fundraiser is a dinner which you must pay to attend, then I would not go. I'm not going to support someone that I don't agree with their politics.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
How local? I'd support a friend for dogcatcher even if I disagreed with their politics. However, if their election could result in changes or policies that I do not support or think would be harmful, I'd simply wish them well and decline to attend.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships