Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM

17,645 posts, read 22,678,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No, I don't think anybody cares much what you're drinking, unless you act conspicuously in some way. In a restaurant, people would notice if you were the only person without a plate (obviously not eating), but at a bar? I doubt people notice. Have a Coke; nobody knows whether there's rum in it.
If'n its not smoking, ya know its not 151 rum.

hahaha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,195,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
I end up being the DD for people I know so they aren't driving drunk home. Sometimes, I feel weird not really drinking much, maybe 1-2 beers then usually energy drinks that are available. I don't ever preach if they're driving home drunk. That's their problem if they get caught when I see people do it
If you feel "holier than thou" then I would say that is how you are projecting yourself.

If, however, that is the opinion of other people, then that is their problem. You only make it your problem when you want them to think differently of you. The best way to do this is to take it as a joke, laugh at yourself. No need to start drinking just to prove them wrong.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,778,061 times
As a restaurant/bar owner AND someone who doesn't drink when she goes out, I can tell you from both sides of the fence that nobody gives a damn. If you're in a place where people make fun of you for not drinking and try and get you to do so then you're in pretty low company. And I agree that if you're a DD you shouldn't even be drinking ONE beer, let alone two.

Over the years there have been a few people who've come into my place already three sheets to the wind and I exercise the right not to serve them any alcohol. I've taken keys away from several people and called them cabs if they don't have a relatively sober friend to take them home and, on a couple of occasions when someone in that situation won't give me their keys I've quietly locked the door and told them very nicely that if they don't give me the keys I'll call the police. - and I've done it. A couple of local patrol officers advising them to give up the keys is pretty powerful and does the trick. Rather that than have them drive off drunk and severely injure or kill someone else ...

Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,703,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
I end up being the DD for people I know so they aren't driving drunk home. Sometimes, I feel weird not really drinking much, maybe 1-2 beers then usually energy drinks that are available. I don't ever preach if they're driving home drunk. That's their problem if they get caught when I see people do it
I don't care if it does, I'm still not drinking. That's not what I'm there for. *usually karaoke*

Old 04-20-2011, 01:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,234,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
But two is the "magic" number of drinks someone has when they get stopped by the cops.

Officer: "Sir/Ma'am how much have you had to drink tonight?"
Driver: "Oh, just a couple of beers."
Once my headlights went out for some reason as I was about to leave downtown at already past 9 p.m. - not too late, but not early enough, either. I'd had just one beer, so I figured I'm good to go even if I get stopped, hoping it won't happen. Buuut... that's me, right... First big intersection - a cop across from me; it's also easy to figure I was coming from downtown.

So he asked me if I'd been drinking. I told him I had a beer maybe a couple hours ago. He probably also thought "oh, I've heard that before," started exploring my eyes with something like a little flashlight, and pronounced me OK. I told ya I'm OK! The headlights aren't! He tried to help me with them, though, and they got back on. I don't know what I do to things, but many times all it takes for them to be back in business is a manly touch!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,975,497 times
^^^a cop touched your headlights?!?!?!^^^^

Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,234,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
^^^a cop touched your headlights?!?!?!^^^^
That'd be the headlights of my CAR!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,688,023 times
Aside from the bartender, who wants more money, I doubt there is a single person in the bar who cares what you drink. No one is even giving it a single thought.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:08 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,334,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Once my headlights went out for some reason as I was about to leave downtown at already past 9 p.m. - not too late, but not early enough, either. I'd had just one beer, so I figured I'm good to go even if I get stopped, hoping it won't happen. Buuut... that's me, right... First big intersection - a cop across from me; it's also easy to figure I was coming from downtown.

So he asked me if I'd been drinking. I told him I had a beer maybe a couple hours ago. He probably also thought "oh, I've heard that before," started exploring my eyes with something like a little flashlight, and pronounced me OK. I told ya I'm OK! The headlights aren't! He tried to help me with them, though, and they got back on. I don't know what I do to things, but many times all it takes for them to be back in business is a manly touch!
LOL...that's exactly what I'm talking about! When I used to watch COPS TV show, the person being stopped always said "a couple of beers" and the cop had that yeah right look.

Glad he wasn't a jerk about it and helped you with your headlight.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:10 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,015,537 times
All I can say is I'm too busy having fun to pay mind to what people are drinking. As to the other direction this is veered off to I always use a cab if I'm going to drink. Or end up drinking by accident lol I prefer to let my friends not have to do this, not against it, my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships