Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,063,970 times

Advertisements

Never
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,022,952 times
Never really thought of it. As often as I get together with male friends, I suppose.

Most of my friends I meet up in real life with are quite busy, so often a few times a year. Gender doesn't figure in to any of it, only individuals' lifestyles.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,742,212 times
handful of times a year w/ one or two women. mostly try to avoid it.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Right now about half of my close female friends are married or in long term relationships and the other half are single like me. I have about 8 really good female friends. 3 of them live ~45 miles away in another part of our metro area. The frequency I see them ranges from 1X every 6 weeks to 1x every 3-4 months. One is a mom of a 1 year old, one is pregnant, and one is a newlywed. Friend number 4 lives 2 miles away and is in a serious relationship, I see here once a month. Another one in a serious relationship lives 300 miles away so I see her 2-3 times a year.

This leaves me with 3 single friends. One spends half of the year abroad for work, and her home base is 90 miles away from me. When she is "off" we get together every 2-3 weeks, and then I don't see her for 4-5 months and the pattern continues.

The other 2 single friends I see roughly every other weekend, because we live close enough (5 miles or less) and have more "free time."

To fill up my social calendar, I use the following techniques:
1. ancillary friends: I am not as close with them as I am my good friends, they are either on the path to being a good friend or stuck in the "friendly acquaintance" zone. Some of these people are coworkers or ex-coworkers and they vary in relationship status, lifestyle and age. I meet up with someone in this category 2X-3X a month
2. Clubs/groups/networking: I am casually involved in a few meet up groups and similar so I head to those meetings when I have time. These are related to hobbies and what not. I am a little over-committed friend-wise so I haven't made an real friendships for these, but that is entirely my fault.
3. Former friends/colleagues/whatever: these are people you might have been close to at one point that drifted out of your life. I tend to run into one of these people and try to reconnect every 3 months or so. Some of them move into the real friend category and other ones stay in acquaintance land but it is good to catch-up. I probably have about 20-30 people in this status at the moment.
4. New people: I meet lots of new people through other people, and some of them end up being really cool. They are usually people I put in the friendship building phase. I end up meeting up with one of these every 6 weeks or so.

I have a lot of trouble keeping up with my good friends. Half of them live so far away. And the ones in my metro area, we are separated by a 1 hour ride with no traffic and 2+ at traffic time, so we have to plan carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships