Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 PM

207 posts, read 507,856 times

Advertisements

I just have to put this out there. Am I being to sensitive or are people just rude? This has happened to me a number of times and it's beginning to really irk me. Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you wrote a friend or a family member an email or a message complimenting them and wishing them well and they just do not respond? Not even a thank you or an I hope you are well too. Another example is a friend contacted me telling me how much they missed me since we haven't been able to see each other for a while. I wrote them back trying to lift their spirit and invited them to a gathering since it appeared like they were really needing a friend and they didn't even bother to write back to say no thanks or anything at all. I just don't get the rudeness of people. Am I being to overly sensitive here? How much effort would it take to simply hit reply to show acknowledgement that the message was received? I'm not saying this happens to me all the time, but it has happened a handful of times and I just do not get it. When I get messages from people and especially when I see them reaching out, I would at a minimum reply with a brief message. My husband tells me that I am kind to a fault and maybe that is my downfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
ttk

79 posts, read 178,942 times
I agree with you. Lack of response is very rude and people are becoming less aware of social mannerisms every year. On the other hand, I have to say that I have had days where I just didn't feel like responding to some people...

Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
I don't think some people do it on purpose. They just get busy or forgot to do it later.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 PM

530 posts, read 780,264 times
Well, I thi.......
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
People are really strange considering the job market and education system are really lousy.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
I went to a business seminar and when on the topic of emails, it was said that people get way too many and sending a 'thank you' is frowned upon as it just adds clutter to email. We're now supposed to recognize that the unemailed thanks is there.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
you wrote a friend or a family member an email or a message complimenting them and wishing them well and they just do not respond?
If I get an email like that - with congratulations or well wishes, I may or may not respond.

But if you ask me a real question, then I'll definitely respond! And I don't mean a how are you, or how is the weather there, or how is the job going kind of question - the test is if the question can be answered "Fine." then you probably won't get a response back. But if you ask a specific real question, or start a conversation, then I'll definitely answer you back! And if it's a particularly good question, and makes me want to talk to you further, I'll probably suggest getting together to talk, rather then going back and forth through email.

Bottom line, I'm very interested in real conversation - and real interaction. And while I appreciate congratulations or well wishes sent through email, I don't view them as something I have to respond to... Kind of like getting a card with congratulations in the mail - you don't send a thank you note for that - you just smile, feel grateful, and go on with life!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I went to a business seminar and when on the topic of emails, it was said that people get way too many and sending a 'thank you' is frowned upon as it just adds clutter to email. We're now supposed to recognize that the unemailed thanks is there.
I've never heard it articulated in that way, but I've definitely seen this in action and believe it to be true in business - and for most people in their personal lives as well.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Errrrrmmmmm...I guess this is going to be personal preference, but I agree with the op.

Even the lady who sold us our furniture sends us hand-written cards in thanks. Figures if a stranger can do it, people who are supposed to love us can, too.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Even the lady who sold us our furniture sends us hand-written cards in thanks. Figures if a stranger can do it, people who are supposed to love us can, too.
Ah but she's not a stranger! She's a salesperson, and you're a prior customer - smart salespeople nurture that kind of relationship... Referrals and repeat business are a big deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships