Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,325 times

Advertisements

I think Facebook has done more to destroy real communication and friendship than anything invented. Some of my nephews who are in High School or College are spending an incredible amount of time and effort getting people to agree to be friends on Facebook. In many cases the person getting the "friend request" will check out how many friends you have and if you are not Facebook Friends" with at least 200 people and the top people in school they will reject you. Once the word gets out that people are rejecting your Facebook Friend Requests your social life is shot.

What a sad state of affairs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I think Facebook has done more to destroy real communication and friendship than anything invented. Some of my nephews who are in High School or College are spending an incredible amount of time and effort getting people to agree to be friends on Facebook. In many cases the person getting the "friend request" will check out how many friends you have and if you are not Facebook Friends" with at least 200 people and the top people in school they will reject you. Once the word gets out that people are rejecting your Facebook Friend Requests your social life is shot.

Just because your relatives are weird little kids doesn't mean the entire upcoming generation is like that. I finished college a year ago and my brother is a college sophomore and we've never heard of anyone giving two hoots about the number of friends they or their friends had. I know more people going on deleting sprees than desperately adding everyone in sight.

It's a very crotchety old man thing to say facebook has destroyed communication in the young 'uns. I'm in contact with people I would have likely never spoken to again because of social networking. I probably also met more people in the first place with easy access to information on local events and parties. I even have a few friends that I met via facebook whom I have never met in person but we continue to keep up with each other's lives even years later. Without facebook, I'd have never known them.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
I think Facebook has done more to destroy real communication and friendship than anything invented. Some of my nephews who are in High School or College are spending an incredible amount of time and effort getting people to agree to be friends on Facebook.

In many cases the person getting the "friend request" will check out how many friends you have and if you are not Facebook Friends" with at least 200 people and the top people in school they will reject you. Once the word gets out that people are rejecting your Facebook Friend Requests your social life is shot.

i think you have it backwards. sounds like your nephews are nerds. No offense.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Well, if you have a greater number of Facebook "friends", that usually means you know more people or are more known by more people.

But still, people shouldn't be judged for how many friends they have on Facebook...

I had over 600 "Facebook friends" at one point, but I deleted a bunch of them, now I'm down to 372 and I plan on deleting even more.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
How childish..I agree FB is destroying basic communication skills.

And Facebook now has a feature that allows users to hide their Friend lists on their profiles...so any poor kid who gets teased because of the number of friends can just hide tneir Friend list..

Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM

356 posts, read 830,086 times
I have very few facebook friends. Mostly because I'm very open on there. Most of my 'friends' are family so I can keep in touch and learn about my family tree. my phone contact list has grown significantly because of facebook. Use it as a connection tool and only that is my motto. No reason to have a bunch of people on there that I do not personally know, the whole world doesn't need to know my life.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,054,379 times
I think its interesting to see how the social networking era separates the younger generation from when I was in high school in the 90's (AOL chat rooms were around, but it was still a new thing). Back then you didn't even need a computer, an internet was still a new thing (and slow with dial-up). Back then its pretty much who you sat with at lunch, who you hung out with on the weekends (or if you went out on weekends) that determined your status. I remember being depressed because I stayed home a lot on weekends.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I know some people with over 1000 Facebook friends. I have like 172 and even then a lot of that is fluff.

Some folks simply add everybody they've ever talked to long enough to get their names, others only add their true friends, etc. I've never met anyone in real life who takes it seriously though.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I have quite a few 'friends', but they're mostly industry contacts and local suppliers that give out discounts I use for my company. I usually find that people who have hundreds or thousands of friends are shallow and self absorbed. They're usually the type of people who take 50 pictures of themselves a week and post emo song lyrics to get attention. Blah.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:46 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:

If this were completely true, there's a simple solution: just keep friending random people until more and more accept you.. the more friends you acquire, the easier it'll be to friend more. Only if things were that simple..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships