Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:07 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,395,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol is it possible that some people found the concert to be incredibly vacuous and lame?
I don't think it would kill people to show a little respect to the performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I don't think it would kill people to show a little respect to the performance.
Ah. Don't be so harsh on Artsy. He's an expert on vacuous things.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,396,612 times
Unfortunately the inability to sit still is lost on people not just in public places and events but also in the privacy of their own homes. The minds of people are always stimulated with outside influences, whether it is TV, internet or phones. They feel like they are wasting time if they are not doing something...anything.
Our ancestors knew the importance of stillness, quietness and meditation. I don't know why it is so hard for us to be in the moment and stop moving. We also have this silly desire to be connected to outside at all times.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Unfortunately the inability to sit still is lost on people not just in public places and events but also in the privacy of their own homes. The minds of people are always stimulated with outside influences, whether it is TV, internet or phones. They feel like they are wasting time if they are not doing something...anything.
Our ancestors knew the importance of stillness, quietness and meditation. I don't know why it is so hard for us to be in the moment and stop moving. We also have this silly desire to be connected to outside at all times.
Yeah. You're right about this. Case in point? Last summer, I was on a plane across the Pacific to New Zealand. The woman next to me was in her 20s. Aside from the normal chitchat at the beginning of the flight, I really didn't say much to her.

So I buried myself in my book, the perfect thing to do on a 13-hour flight (I can't sleep on planes, no matter how hard I try). She watched one movie for ten minutes, switched to another movie, diddled with her iPhone, fidgeted some more, tried listening to some music, read the in-flight magazine, fidgeted some more, leaned across me to look out the window (There is nothing to see mid-Pacific at 40,000 feet. Trust me on this), fidgeted some more, napped for an hour, woke up, listened to more music, played some more games, and finally stared at the ceiling.

Finally, she said to me. "Wow. You've almost finished with that book. Whatcha reading?" I named the book. "I don't like to read. I would just get too bored."

Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
I vote: curmudgeon. To me, you didn't really cite anything rude at the performance. IE: If I'm going to cough.... I would be thinking I darn well better find a cough drop! Just to be polite. If your filming the performance... then there will be camera fiddling.

Though I would be the person reading on the plane.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 PM

193 posts, read 450,453 times
This was a performance of a high school orchestra. I think most of the people in the audience were parents, family members, friends, and others, who are there to support the performers. They were not there because they enjoy that kind of music. Cut them some slack.

I love classical music but hate the expectation that audience members have to sit there like corpses. One time I read on a classical music forum a post from a guy who was angry that a woman sitting nearby had an oxygen tank, making these "swish" sounds. Quite a few people were sympathetic to him.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,912,119 times
People don't have manners like they used too. It's a harsh world.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,226,699 times
My friend asked a group of Italians to be quiet recently at a theatre in the west end of London. They got all pissy about it.
It's really interesting how entitled people feel to ruin the experience of everyone around them with their incessant yapping.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,804,997 times
Try being a teacher nowdays and see how kids have lost the ability to sit still and focus.

Something is majorly wrong. We are over-stimulating the kids with a barage of light, sound, and movement. Nobody can sit and think anymore. There is no independent activity in our brains. We need stimuli to react to. How sad is that?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
Classical music concerts can get incredibly dull and boring. I like classical but it can get boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
This was a performance of a high school orchestra. I think most of the people in the audience were parents, family members, friends, and others, who are there to support the performers. They were not there because they enjoy that kind of music. Cut them some slack.

I love classical music but hate the expectation that audience members have to sit there like corpses. One time I read on a classical music forum a post from a guy who was angry that a woman sitting nearby had an oxygen tank, making these "swish" sounds. Quite a few people were sympathetic to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships