Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,725,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls211 View Post
or else that friend will turn out to be an enemy pretty quickly.I got an apartment with a friend in March of last year.We always got along well before.Since moving in with him I have discovered the bad side of him.He gambles all his money away and is always late on bills and rent,borrows money from me and doesn't pay me back, complains about everything, and thinks he's the boss of the apartment.I hate living with him so much that i try to stay out until he goes to sleep.It is amazing how quickly a good friend can turn into someone you despise.I suggest against an arrangement like this for anyone thinking about it, but that's just my opinion.Has this happened to anyone else?
It totally depends on the combo. I had roommates that I was fine with afterwards and others I would rather see hit with a bus.

I think more logical advice is:
1- have a lease with a severance clause or transfer clause.
2- have the lease severance fee saved yourself before signing the line
3- lend money once in a dollar value that will not compromise your personal life. Never pays back..never lend again.
4- have enough space so you don't HAVE to share space
5- observe their behavior about past roomies. Talk to ex roomies.
6- have access to utilities accounts even if they are in their name

I think living with someone will show you IF they really are a friend or just a cake of crap. Close that door and open a new one with a better friend in the future. I just never thought looking at someone for who they really are is necessarily a bad thing or something that should be avoided. You just see them for what they really are and learn a bit about yourself in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,412,483 times
I let a friend move in, the terms were half of everything. I laid out the bills to her each month, and expected her to pay me. She was always late, had some sort of drama every month, yet had plenty of money for new clothes, and a boob job. I found out she was dating about four guys at a time, asking them all for "loans". And these were really nice guys, she juggled them by telling them she was at work. So, I find out she is a liar, a ho, a total user. And I took a critical look at myself, after all we were "friends". I realized we were on completely different paths. She moved out. I faded our friendship.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,160,008 times
Default Complicates things usually...

I have a friend now who is in a very rocky live in relationship with his girlfriend. He brought up to me if she moves out he wants me to share the place with him. It's a gorgeous apt in a great neighborhood, My childhood one in fact. But i said no. It would be too cramped, And I value the friendship as it is. I need "me" time to chill after work. he may have to move back with the folks, And is, Under the surface a bit hurt that I would not agree.

it's the lesser of the two evils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships