Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times

Advertisements

After a few of the posts I've seen in this thread, I wonder if I should be more worried about having a straight room mate.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Who lives with "roommates" unless you are in colllege or something? i would not feel comfortable with a gay roommate. i have noiced that a lot of gay peolpe are VERY strange. the only gay friends i have are the feminine gay guy types and they are just so hilarious.
People who live in the most expensive big cities often have roommates. It's a good alternative to being broke all the time.

There are a lot of "strange" straight people also. You're taking a huge chance rooming with just about anyone. There are a lot of stories on this board about roommates with serious issues. This is why I care more about one's mental-stability more than sexual preference.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,971 times
My roommates don't seem to mind.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:57 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,158 times
Since I am secure in my sexuality(straight-male) I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
My two gay friends are not effeminate and are also taller and more muscular than average. I have met the queenie types and yes, they are generally annoying. They do not find me interesting either, so it all works out fine. Strangely I have been told that the fem guys are not always the "bottom" they appear to be.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 PM

399 posts, read 974,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
After a few of the posts I've seen in this thread, I wonder if I should be more worried about having a straight room mate.
Fortunately, the straight guys I know aren't a--holes. If the ones on this forum were all I had to go by, I'd definitely steer clear.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The majority of people who live in big cities.

Gay people are not strange, what a bizarre generalization. I find it hard to believe you have gay friends if you talk to them like this.
Well I think gays people are strange. You dont think men wearing eyes shadow and carrying purses around is strange? you dont find "women" who act like men to be strange? you dont find someone who turns from a "she" to a "he" & vice versa to be distrubing and strange? most people find tese things weird... and i defintely dont want a "roommate" who cant figure out if she is male of female or who acts like a man. this is why i will never live with "roommates"

Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
First off...your lying.
You don't have ONE gay friend.
You know its true.
"I don't hate gays....some of my best friends are gay!"
Every time I hear that I know I'm being lied to.

Secondly....
Maybe people {gay and straight} think YOU'RE strange.
I sure do.
I don't hate gay people. a gay male friend of mine is a make up artist and he also does hair i think he is fabulous and funny. on the other hand lesbians are very irritating.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Yes, I'm not driven by fear and misinformation.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Well I think gays people are strange. You dont think men wearing eyes shadow and carrying purses around is strange?
I work in Musical Theatre. I see more gay people on a daily basis than you will probably ever meet in your life. And not a single one of them, even the flamboyant ones wear eye shadow and carry purses. This proves to me you have no gay friends, you're just going by ridiculous stereotypes. The overwhelming majority of gay people in society you can't even tell are gay unless they told you.

Quote:
you dont find "women" who act like men to be strange?
No, gender identity is a social construct. I've seen feminine straight men, so why would I care about masculine women? And once again, science has shown gay brains are wired more like the opposite sex, so it doesn't surprise me that some gay women exhibit more straight male type qualities.

Quote:
you dont find someone who turns from a "she" to a "he" & vice versa to be distrubing and strange?
Transsexuality has nothing to do with sexual orientation. Gender identity and sexuality are not the same thing. More evidence you have no clue what you're talking about. And no, it isn't disturbing. Gender Identity Disorder is an actual clinical disorder where in Utero, hormonal imbalances cause a fetus' brain to develop as one gender, and the body to develop as the other. As a result, a transsexual is constantly fighting to make their body match their brain. It's one of the most painful experiences any human can ever go through, and your lack of compassion and education on the matter is far more disturbing than any transsexual could dream to be.

Quote:
most people find tese things weird...
Most people are uneducated and intolerant. Color me shocked that they find them weird.

Quote:
and i defintely dont want a "roommate" who cant figure out if she is male of female or who acts like a man. this is why i will never live with "roommates"
Since you can't even figure out the difference between gender identity and sexual orientation, it's probably a good idea you don't have roommates. More so for the sake of your roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.