Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:24 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,832,743 times

Advertisements

Ok. So I got in a discussion with a female friend and we were talking about kids, which soon led into a taboo topic that nobody really admitts, but just about everyone is most likely guilty of.

Living out your childhood dreams through your kids

Which, also reminded me of another relationship based taboo topic that nobody discusses.

I am GLAD my parents got divorced

Anytime I talk about my parents getting divorced there is usually a "oh, i feel sorry for you" kind of emotion. Don't be! I have a wonderful step mother to compliment my biological mother.

Anyone got anything to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Ok. So I got in a discussion with a female friend and we were talking about kids, which soon led into a taboo topic that nobody really admitts, but just about everyone is most likely guilty of.

Well, I am not exactly sure why you call this "taboo," or even how you define this. I have tried to give or do things for/with my kids that I never had, or never had the opportunity to do. If that's living out childhood dreams, I'm guilty.

Quote:
Which, also reminded me of another relationship based taboo topic that nobody discusses.

I am GLAD my parents got divorced

Anytime I talk about my parents getting divorced there is usually a "oh, i feel sorry for you" kind of emotion. Don't be! I have a wonderful step mother to compliment my biological mother.

Anyone got anything to add?
I don't know anything about this, except to say that I hope my kids don't have to experience a divorce, especially before they are adults.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,066,507 times
Quote:

I can't say I've done this with my children. They have their own interests, none of which I really share enough to wish I had done it as a child.

I support their dreams (to a certain extent) but they are their own dreams, not mine.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:15 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Well, I am not exactly sure why you call this "taboo," or even how you define this. I have tried to give or do things for/with my kids that I never had, or never had the opportunity to do. If that's living out childhood dreams, I'm guilty.

I don't know anything about this, except to say that I hope my kids don't have to experience a divorce, especially before they are adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I can't say I've done this with my children. They have their own interests, none of which I really share enough to wish I had done it as a child.

I support their dreams (to a certain extent) but they are their own dreams, not mine.
Well, I feel like so many parent's do live vicariously through their children. Look at the show Toddlers and Tiaras... ridiculous.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,066,507 times
Quote:
Well, I feel like so many parent's do live vicariously through their children. Look at the show Toddlers and Tiaras... ridiculous.
That show makes me want to smack those mamas!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
I refuse to look at that show......but the previews/teasers I have seen make me sick.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 PM

526 posts, read 955,142 times
Toddlers and Tiaras is sick! Those mothers disturb me.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:19 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,676,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I refuse to look at that show......but the previews/teasers I have seen make me sick.
yeah that show is gross.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:23 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
yeah that show is gross.
It is indeed. Not letting kids have the innocence of childhood, And even the fun that goes with it. Why is it on the air? Cause of the almighty dollar. Someone is making it. They should buy a new SOUL!!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I never lived out my "dreams" thru my kids. That is unbalanced. As for divorce, I would rather my kids grow up in a broken home, than watch their Father abuse their Mother on a daily basis, mentally, verbally, emotionally, and physically. No point in showing kids an ongoing, completely dysfunctional relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships