Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Send both moms flowers and call telling them a white lie about how you can't make it (e.g. you or your 3 y.o. is vomiting and it might be stomach flu). Next, cook (or carry out) a scrumptious dinner for your wife (you cannot go out for Brunch as you might be spotted). Then, do the dishes, present the hand-made Mom's Day toddler craft that you assisted with (something with handprints is usually a winner), put the kid to bed, present the piece of jewelry that you bought your wife, give your wife a great massage, and give her the best Mother's Day ever.

Next year, plan an out-of-town Mother's Day getaway with your wife and child so you will not be stuck in this mess again.
LIE?? Are you kidding me?

What's wrong with having a spine and telling the truth? The mother of his child comes first now, not his own mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,399,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why? Her sensitivity is HER problem, not his. He can't go out to brunch if he feels like it because he might get "caught"? What is he, 12?
I guess my attempted humor with the "getting caught at brunch" line missed its mark with you. And, actually, her sensitivity (and his Dad's "reaming") does seem to be a problem for him, otherwise he wouldn't have created a multi- paragraph post about it.

Quote:
Or he can just be honest and Mom can learn to deal.
I'm assuming he has explained the facts to Mom and she (and Dad) still can't deal. He should definitely try the honesty route first. He should also try the rotating holiday route or even having the festivities for all moms at his house.

However, if Mom still can't deal, the White Lie and/or skipping town are usually preferred to having mom (and dad) mad at you (and all the drama that it creates for others), while you're in their house, on Mother's Day.

**Also, if they sneak out for Brunch, they should wear disguises -maybe trench coats, hats, glasses, moustaches (even the toddler) - and sit at a corner table with their backs toward the door.

**Note: The previous paragraph was my attempt at humor again (I know, I'm not very good at it).

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-09-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
LIE?? Are you kidding me?

What's wrong with having a spine and telling the truth? The mother of his child comes first now, not his own mother.
Yes, a White Lie after honesty does not work. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a spine. It means he knows how to keep everyone happy. The mom's will likely know it's a White Lie, but it will probably go down better than the hard honesty of saying "My wife is more important than you today" as there will be less fall-out.

I think the strategic use of the White Lie is misunderstood on this Relationship forum. I need to get back to the Business forum.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, a White Lie after honesty does not work. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a spine. It means he knows how to keep everyone happy. The mom's will likely know it's a White Lie, but it will probably go down better than the hard honesty of saying "My wife is more important than you today" as there will be less fall-out.

I think the strategic use of the White Lie is misunderstood on this Relationship forum. I need to get back to the Business forum.

A persons inability to handle the truth is not the fault or responsibility of the truth teller.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
A persons inability to handle the truth is not the fault or responsibility of the truth teller.
Never said it was. Just trying to make the day easier for the OP (and everyone else) as he is the one subjected to his mom & dad's "reaming" and it obviously bothers him.

Go ahead OP, tell your mom the cold, hard truth that it is more important for you to be with your wife that day and your mom needs to accept the truth.

I'm sure she'll handle that great (based on her past history) and neither she nor your dad will do anything to annoy you. If she or your dad is upset, tell them you are not responsible for their feelings, but only responsible for yourself (the truth teller) and ensuring The Truth.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:15 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,220,198 times
Quote:
I'm assuming he has explained the facts to Mom and she (and Dad) still can't deal. He should definitely try the honesty route first. He should also try the rotating holiday route or even having the festivities for all moms at his house.
What he should not "try" is appease the unreasonable mother route.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,290,789 times
I wouldn't cater to that in a million years.

Your profile says you have a daughter. Unless she's from a previous marriage, that means your wife is a mother. That means you and your daughter spend the day with your wife, and you and your wife send your own mothers flowers. That's what that whole "cleaving unto each other" bit in the wedding ceremony is about.

If you want to make up for it, have both sets of parents come over for a little party for Grandparents' Day. That's in September. Both mothers should be over their drama by then.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
What he should not "try" is appease the unreasonable mother route.
That's why he should be out of town or home sick, he won't have to appease her or deal with her.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
That's why he should be out of town or home sick, he won't have to appease her or deal with her.

That's just silly - spend the money to go out of town just to avoid having someone upset with you??

Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,576,145 times
Invite them both to church then both back to your house for a bbq or a nice home cooked meal. Hate to say it, but it seems like the mother of the sons WHEN they get married seem to get the short end of the stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships