Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 12:20 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

I was speaking with a friend about my sister. I let her use my instacart and Walmart grocery delivery services. She lives an hour from me and uses it about every week. . It would cost her $22/month if I did not let her use the services. What does she do? She tips them the lowest possible tip of her grocery bill. She has been using them since the pandemic started. She does not have a car.
I do tell her that it is not fair.

Well,I just complaining about it to a friend that i tip about 15%-20% because the drivers are doing me a big favor. He says to me,"Maybe she does not have it like you do".
I was taking aback a bit. It made me feel bad,because I never thought of it like that. I was thinking along the lines of these poor people risking their lives,surely they deserve compensation that if fair. I was also thinking if you cannot afford to tip,then maybe you should go get your own groceries. It is not Instacart's drivers fault.

Also,I i am very far from rich. I am just a lower middle class worker. My sister is the same,so she can spare the extra money to tip well. I also wonder if Instacart drivers can see the tipping history, because if they see those small tips she made,i wonder if they will just bypass my own orders for someone who tips more than 2.5% or 5%.

But it got me thinking....
What are yall thoughts on tipping delivery drivers if a person who orders them does not have enough money to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 12:28 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
The main flaw with instacart tipping is that it forces you to tip before the services are rendered. Tipping should be for how well a task is done, not as an incentive to do a task well.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:58 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
If you can't afford to tip at least 15%, you can't afford the service.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you can't afford to tip at least 15%, you can't afford the service.
That is what I say. But maybe some people can afford the monthly fee but not the tips.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:09 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
I agree with you. I tip about 20% because I feel it’s warranted. The tip plus service fee gets expensive every week so I’m back to getting my own groceries. It never crossed my mind to tip way less than I normally would because of the expense. Why take it out on the driver when I can get them myself? I think if your sister is able to, she should do the same.

If you can’t afford to tip, then don’t use the service.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:45 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Tip or not, you're helping to keep these people employed. While I would tip (though I have fundamental problems with how we do tipping in this country), I wouldn't raise a fuss if others don't.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:01 AM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I have felt for a while (even before the pandemic) that tipping had gotten out of control. Seems like a tip is expected in any type of service job and many of these services aren't low cost to begin with. People make the argument well then you can't afford the service...but what if you really need that service? aka getting groceries delivered during the pandemic. There were/are plenty of low income people out there who were immunocompromised. They perhaps didnt have extra money to tip but couldnt go into the grocery store for fear of getting covid.

I myself am not low income but it doesnt mean I want to tip someone anytime I pay for something and it kind of feels like that's what I do. I'm just waiting for the people who work at TJ Max and homegoods to start expecting a tip for ringing up my items and putting them in a bag.

The other day I purchased a small green juice at a local store for $7. The girl went in the back and got it for me. As she rang me up she asked me if i wanted to add on a tip today. I was like, um no thank you. I mean I had already paid this local mom and pop shop $7 for a overpriced juice and then they create an awkward situation by asking if I want to leave a tip.

I have no issue leaving a tip when I go out to eat. We always tip well. There are other services that I don't get done often (hair, facials, nails, massages, etc) because i just can't see giving a tip on a service that I'm already paying a substantial amount for. A facial can be about $150 these days then on top of that a 20% or so tip is expected.

It also became a thing to tip when you got takeout during covid...seems like that hasnt gone away...awesome.

And yes being expected to tip BEFORE the service is completed is ridiculous.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:26 AM

115 posts, read 57,534 times
They're not doing you a favor; they're doing their job. People aren't obligated to tip if they don't want to. I do when the service is great and I don't when it isn't.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:39 AM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I do believe everyone should be paid a fair wage...i just don't think it's fair for a company like instacart to hire people and then put it on other Americans to pay the employees.

Same goes for any business really. I see wealthy business owners all the time of salons and restaurants who are living the dream while they pay their employees next to nothing making them dependent upon tips. Of course not all business owners take everything for themselves but many do.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Tip or not, you're helping to keep these people employed. While I would tip (though I have fundamental problems with how we do tipping in this country), I wouldn't raise a fuss if others don't.

True,except we are both using the same services under my name.

I wonder if the drivers can see past tips and start avoiding bringing my groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships