Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times

Advertisements

Here comes Mother's day! YAY.

Time for my rant.... this has to be one of the worst days of the year for me. I cannot stand mother's day.

It all starts with my mom. She is super sensitive and takes all kinds of things as a slight. For instance, last year my wife and I went to church in the morning, then split the day evenly at the parents houses. Spent 3 hours at her parents, then over to my parents for 3 hours in the evening.

Afterwards, I got reamed out by my dad for not devoting enough time to my mom on "mother's day." I was angry at the time, and just anxious this year since there was not much else I could do. As it was, I was running all day, skipped our two (now three) year old's nap, and spent as much time with each of our mom's as we could.

So here we go again. Day is starting out with my wife having to go into church way early, because she volunteered to sing in their mother's day choir. We will be there probably from 9 AM to 1 PM. After that, need to try and split the day between the two families. Since I cannot give any one mom all day, I am fearful of hurt feelings.

No advice needed really. I am going to try and be as nice and accomodating as possible. However, by the end of this marathon day, I am going to be beat. Definately not looking forward to it.

Anyone else's families take the fun out of what should be a fun day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Yikes! That sucks! My mom and my husband's mom are both pretty low key. Plus, we live several states away from both of them (clear across the country from my mom). My husband has a bit of a double whammy this year though - it's my first Mother's Day as a mother and it's my birthday! Hahah! Actually - he's really happy about it - says he can get 2 birds with one stone!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

Time for my rant.... this has to be one of the worst days of the year for me. I cannot stand mother's day.

It all starts with my mom. She is super sensitive and takes all kinds of things as a slight. For instance, last year my wife and I went to church in the morning, then split the day evenly at the parents houses. Spent 3 hours at her parents, then over to my parents for 3 hours in the evening.

Afterwards, I got reamed out by my dad for not devoting enough time to my mom on "mother's day." I was angry at the time, and just anxious this year since there was not much else I could do. As it was, I was running all day, skipped our two (now three) year old's nap, and spent as much time with each of our mom's as we could.

So here we go again. Day is starting out with my wife having to go into church way early, because she volunteered to sing in their mother's day choir. We will be there probably from 9 AM to 1 PM. After that, need to try and split the day between the two families. Since I cannot give any one mom all day, I am fearful of hurt feelings.

No advice needed really. I am going to try and be as nice and accomodating as possible. However, by the end of this marathon day, I am going to be beat. Definately not looking forward to it.

I had a bf whose entire (Italian) family was like this. Made him feel guilty about everything and gave him ultimatums about doing stuff with them vs my family.

I got the h*ll out of the cluster.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
This year go to your mom first, then her mom. Alternate each year who gets you first.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:

My mom is dead. We burried grandma last week and my sister a few months ago so its not a fun day for me either. What I wouldnt give to spend the day with those three moms.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My mom is dead. We burried grandma last week and my sister a few months ago so its not a fun day for me either. What I wouldnt give to spend the day with those three moms.

sorry to hear about this. My mother died last august and this will be my first mother's day without her....I am hoping to buy my grandmother something instead. if there's another lady in your family like an older aunt maybe you could celebrate it with her. not the same, but you know....

Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
How about you tell your father to stick it where the sun don't shine? And Mom too. If she can't appreciate what she gets, perhaps you needn't bother giving it.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:

I'm just happy I only have my mom to deal with. Both grandmothers are long dead. I don't talk to my stepmother since my dad is dead and we never had much of a relationship anyway.

My mother's day is easy. Drive 50 minutes to her house. Surprise her about 12 noon, cook dinner for her, be back home in Louisville by 7.

OP I'm sorry a day that should be happy just sucks for you.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,305 times
Quote:

Try spending one year with your mom and the next with hers.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Quote:

How about you visit neither and tell them you want your wife to have a relaxing day and that the running around really messes up your child's schedule. It's not relaxing for anyone when the day is so hectic and you feel like you're cheating them by giving only 3 hours. Or, if you and your wife have free time on Saturday, maybe you can pop by both moms? Or see one Saturday and one Sunday? My in-laws died 10 years ago so we only visit my mom but on other holidays sometimes we wish there were more hours in the day to split time between families. The running around takes a beatin' on ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships