Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM

114 posts, read 231,850 times

Advertisements

what do you do when you have a mother in law that think she knows everything, or if my kids go though something her kids have done it and its not as a big of a deal as when it happens to her kids.

yesterday we found out that our youngest son has asthma and has some allergies, when my husband called his mother to tell her she was like oh thats not a big deal you had that, he will grow out of it, my husband does not remember having any of these problems and in the 10 years we have been together she has never said anything about him having it before now.

so what do you do with this type of person?? do you say something to her or just ignore it and move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Ignore.

Some people just talk for the attention or to feel involved.

If you want to keep peace and a good relationship, be gracious and just smile and nod at the lonely old lady.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Exactly ignore it . My brother has a mil that is like that and they just got back from a cruise which they took her on and all she did was criticise and argue about everything . She even stated something about when the last time she saw a person of a certain race in a suit OMG !!! Then when they get home my sister in law stated they were going to go to disney later this year and that her mama should go with them and my brother said absoloutly not . My poor brother is going crazy and I told him it might have to cut his mil off once and for all and if my sil did not like it then he might have to put his foot down ..I hope he can .

Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,506 times
Ignore it.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:50 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklapps View Post
what do you do when you have a mother in law that think she knows everything, or if my kids go though something her kids have done it and its not as a big of a deal as when it happens to her kids.

yesterday we found out that our youngest son has asthma and has some allergies, when my husband called his mother to tell her she was like oh thats not a big deal you had that, he will grow out of it, my husband does not remember having any of these problems and in the 10 years we have been together she has never said anything about him having it before now.

so what do you do with this type of person?? do you say something to her or just ignore it and move on?
Be grateful she is not your mother. Mine was one of these types, and she never knew more than when she was talking about things she knew nothing about.

Ignore her. Just say, "Oh, that's nice." to everything she says, regardless of what it is or whether it is appropriate.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM

900 posts, read 1,701,851 times
Why don't you just be grateful for your family , including her , instead of focusing on the negative. Just accept her. In one ear out the other.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 PM

97 posts, read 180,239 times
OMG reading these comments I though for a moment it was my MIL risen from the grave! LOL! You name it she didn't like it. I wasn't rich enough, i was not healthy enough (i'm a diabetic), i didn't love my wife enough, I wasn't raising our daughter well enough and the clincher I wasn't Irish (LOL). You name it she didn't like it. You know my answer -I ignored it. In the years following my marriage I found out that many of the "sins" she commited on my wife were committed to her by her mother. You can't change individuals. If their enough of a pain, minimize contact. to cap it when she became ill with cancer my wife and I gave her continous care (around 2 yrs no one else in the family would help) until she had to go to the Hospital to die. the last time I saw her she was glaring at me and wrote me a note (she couldn't speak) telling me I was too rough (I had just helped her back into bed). I just ignored it. I did what I did because I thought it was the best not because I expected her approval. (which I don't think she would have ever given) Just go on with your and your families life and ignorte all the negatives. Theres a reason why your MIL is that way. Ignore and you'll have a long and most probably a happy marriage

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
Why don't you just be grateful for your family , including her , instead of focusing on the negative. Just accept her. In one ear out the other.
You know sometimes its a little hard to be gratefull for someone who complains to you all the time. Maybe just do what I did -not hear/ignore the comments?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 PM

By the way for all the people that thought I should be rewarded for my actions re my MIL. I really have to tell you that she was who she was because of her Mother and Life She grew up in the depression and when she became used to me she started telling me re her life in the depression. Like how she used to go to the River (mississippi) and fish with her brothers not to eat but to trade for clothing, gas for the dads bussiness truck, and food that she would eat. How she quit HS to join the Army as a Nurse in 1941. (that is when she started smoking. the Dr in charge of the night shift encouraged all the nurses and interns to smoke so that they could be "awake" and ready to go when patients came in. Of being a nurse in the pacific during WWII. -that is when she met he future husband. he was a patient but it wasn't until the end of the war she found out that he lived next door to her house. how she had to run away to Nevada to marry him because her mother (and I met her) told her that she "would rather shake hands with the devil than an Italian." They never mentioned to great granny that not only was I not irish but I was a latino of Italian descent -LOL.(and she mentioned that to tell me that she was less emphatic in preventing my marriage to her daughter - LOL.) how her husband died young (47)of his wounds leaving her with a mortgage and 5 kids. Of her going back to work as a nurse, finishing HS and then college finishing with a Masters degree in Nursing. etc etc. She was a Hell of a Woman but she just never liked me and she had a lot of dichotomies in her system of beliefs and her own life. she carried her mothers ideas to her grave (boys are worth more than girls, who are only good for being wives -the pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen idea even if she didn't believe in that for herself). etc she didn't like me but that doesn't mean that she was evil or bad in any way. Dificult ...UHM ..Yeah but then she was a pure Irish woman

Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,817 times
I am a mother-in-law, and while I want desperately to be the best mother-iin-law i can be, I know that there are times when I fail miserably. I had the example of the worst MIL ever (my own mother), examples of MsIL who put up with her with grace, and two examples of my own MsIL who are/were fabulous people. One might think, then, that I could perfect the art of MILing, based upon these examples, but I know i fail. Often.

My hope is always that my experience will show valuable lessons, reasons, examples. I am also very studied in religious issues, delighting in this subject, so i join in this type of discussion with probably too much enthusiasm, which I have learned comes across as a know-it-all attitude.

I try. I really try. But I fail.

I think that most MsIL want to do the right thing, but we are human, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships