Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM

24 posts, read 41,806 times

Advertisements

Hi, are there any middle eastern men on here who could help me out.

I'm a 20-something year old brown skin, curvy black woman. There's this convenience store nearby that I go to about twice per month.

When I first started going, the store worker would treat me the same as he did everyone else. Lately, I've noticed changes. He dresses more hip (wears baseball caps, sometimes jerseys, etc. instead of the typical clothing they wear).

About two times, while waiting on me, I noticed him looking downwards at my body. The next few times I seen him, he didn't even look at me. After about three more visits, he would laugh every time I go to the store. The time before last, he and his dad spoke in their language, laughing as he kept peeping around at me even though the store was filled (not to see if I were stealing, I was in the lotto section right in front of them, standing behind this guy -- it was more less in a curious, nosy sort of way).

Laughing usually isn't a good sign. However, I don't understand what would be funny about me.

I am curvy, brown skin, keep my hair fixed, dress business/casual for the most part (never half-dressed), I'm not loud talking nor am I ghetto (I'm soft spoken, quiet and polite). The other black women I see visiting this store are quite the opposite of myself (at least 50 pounds heavier than I am, wear rags around their head or rollers, no makeup, many are of darker skin, etc.), but he doesn't laugh at them.

The same with the white and other race women - they aren't anything to write home about, either.

So, yes, it bothers me what he finds so funny. This is the only store nearby; I only go for gas and lotto, nothing else.

Don't get me wrong, he's never rude towards me, he says thanks and all of that, but the laughing, staring and speaking in their language doesn't set right with me. What's the "possible" issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I'd ask exactly what he finds so funny. And then open up a can of whoopass on him.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Can you go when he isn't working?
That's just rude.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Maybe he likes you?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'd ask exactly what he finds so funny. And then open up a can of whoopass on him.
Exactly what you do not need to do.

Quote:
Can you go when he isn't working? That's just rude.
I'd question whether I'd go back in at all. A store that treated me like that would not get any of my business.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 AM

24 posts, read 41,806 times
It seems he lives there; he's always there.

I doubt it's like, because laughing isn't too friendly.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
Do you know anyone who might speak their language? Have him/her go in first and you follow a few seconds later (so you don't appear to be together). Conduct yourself as you normally would, and then ask your "translator" what they said. (Note: Your translator should be somewhere within earshot but not so close as to be obvious.)

If your translator indicates the conversation/words were negative, then use the translator to convey your feelings on the matter to the offending individual(s).

--Dim

Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Oh I'd agree with GilahG... don't give your money to a business that treats you less than welcoming...

I would hazard a guess: intentional intimidation, immaturity, obnoxious personality, some kind of middle eastern screwed-up way of thinking, and then, just being male. Some are idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Can you go when he isn't working?
That's just rude.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Why do you keep going to this store if the workers think you're a joke?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
They are Arabs? Probably saw a little camel toe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships