Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM

521 posts, read 765,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
My point was that we don't even know whether this scenario is real or fabricated.

The story is a bit illogical. Something does not add up.
We don't know if ANY of the stories posted on here are real or fake. Are you the resident Sherlock Holmes around here on CD? Good gawd. If you think what she is saying isn't true then don't offer any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,395,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Only here in NM have I run into inappropriate behavior from store attendants, and in every instance, it's been on the part of foreigners. Not Hispanics, in case anyone's wondering. The West Coast is full of stores with attendants who behave professionally, in case anyone wants to check it out. California and the NW. Disrespectful or overly-forward store attendants generally don't last long. Complaints are addressed swiftly. I don't know where you live.
Yeah, west coast stores and businesses have more courteous people. As of right now, I'm in east valley Arizona. There are quite a few douche bags that get jobs working for the public. A lot of these people act in ways that I know if I acted the same way, I would have been canned that very minute. But they somehow keep their jobs.

However, the community is rather friendly. I have people on my side as well.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 AM

521 posts, read 765,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The entire OP sounds rather "fishy" and "odd". Not to mention the fact that the OP could not articulate her take on the matter or even why someone would be so concerned about the opinions of a random convenience store clerk. How is it that the opinion of a random convenience store clerk is causing a rational person to whine and create a thread to discuss the incident. Seriously, who cares?

I think that it is rather silly to continue to patronize a business when you feel as if you have not been treated with the respect that paying customers deserve to be treated. So why does she continue to return to the store where she feels disrespected? Is this the only store in town? Why not take your business to another store?

Odd. Just plain odd!
The woman came here for advice, not to be put on trial by the resident Matlock of CD. Maybe you should join the cast of CSI cause that is certainly your calling in life.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM

102,438 posts, read 108,833,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Are you curvy or rotund? I know a lot of foreigners tend to look down on Americans by how overweight many people in this country are. I would stop going to their store immediately. They won't stay in business long if they are making their customers feel self-conscious and uncomfortable.
She did say she was curvy, but it sounded like she wasn't the only one in the neighborhood using the store who was. She was the one well-dressed one, she said. Nice to see a kind post, for a change.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:38 AM

102,438 posts, read 108,833,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFL View Post
I am trying hard to see the problem here...

Has the guy said anything derogatory to the OP? Has he physically touched the OP? Has he followed her? Stalked her? Threatened her?

He has broken no laws as far as I can see. What I can see is some heavy drama...
He has consistently behaved in an unprofessional manner with the OP, for no apparent reason. He has singled her out from the other customers for inappropriate attention. It looks like he may lose her as a customer, and she'll have to drive out of her way to get gas and incidental items.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,972,007 times
The OP has done nothing wrong - she posted to obtain possible cultural information that would explain the laughing man - and as far as I can see, no Middle Eastern Men have posted to share their insights or perspectives - she also explained that she included the part about her being of lighter skin than some blacks as a curiosity about Middle-Easterners and how they view skin color hues (in terms of their response to particular people).

From what I gather from her description, she is being sexually harrassed in a way - or at least demeaned and mocked - in any case, the behavior is totally unprofesssional - and I think she should point-blank ask him WHAT he is laughing at.

As a business person he "should" care that he might lose a customer . . .

Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM

10,996 posts, read 20,660,908 times
Here is what I would do, I would determine who owns the business. If it is a franchise I would contact the customer relations person at the franchiser, describe the treatment received and ask that a "secret shopper" go to the store with you. If the employee engages in that conduct again it will be reported, if the employee by chance recognizes the "secret shopper" then he will be alert that his behavior may have been reported.

If it is an independently owned establishment unless that employee has a boss then your only option is to shop elsewhere. Another technique would be to tell the guy to knock it off least you tell the community he is being disrespectful to you and that they shouldn't shop there.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:40 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,670,476 times
Just go somewhere else-no biggie.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,357,856 times
they tend to think of sex more than I would have thought. go somewhere else.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:37 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,009,816 times
I have already replied to this thread, in full support of OP.

But now I remember something similar happened to me.
While going through a divorce, I was using a little alcohol, not in excess, to dull the most painful of feelings. I stopped at a convenience store to pick up some wine...the Mexican guy behind the counter gave me this smirk...

AND, another time..I stopped in a Mexican restaurant to eat a quick bite on the way home from FINALIZING that divorce. Let's say I was a happy camper that day...

I ordered a meal and ONE margarita...smirks again....
guess they think it too loose for a women to
eat alone
and to order a margarita
in the middle of the day!

SO insulting and annoying....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships