Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,313,097 times

Advertisements

mtlquebec102...I'm thinking that instead of just saying "nah, I watched them alone"...that would have been a great opportunity
to tell him you've not had the chance to really get to know anyone, but you wish you did!...If I was him and asked you that and you responded like you did....I would probably assume that you LIKED being alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 PM

433 posts, read 1,371,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
mtlquebec102...I'm thinking that instead of just saying "nah, I watched them alone"...that would have been a great opportunity
to tell him you've not had the chance to really get to know anyone, but you wish you did!...If I was him and asked you that and you responded like you did....I would probably assume that you LIKED being alone.
Interesting. But if I told him that I never had the chance to get to know anyone, but I wish I did, doesn't that sound like I haven't been in my current city for long, when I've been living here my whole life? Or does it sound like I've always been a super busy guy or workaholic or something like that and I never bothered to get to know anyone?

Another thing, what you suggested as a response doesn't even answer this guy's question. That would be a response to why I don't have any friends, which I wasn't asked. But I'm assuming this response you suggested to me would come up after I tell him that I don't have any friends, right? But even as I get asked and answer the why-no-friends question, I'm sure I'd feel abit awkward and embarassed...

Old 07-12-2012, 04:31 PM

mtlquebec102...it seems to me that your fear of others finding out you have no friends....is the very reason...you have no friends....I'm thinking you need to quit worrying and trying to know beforehand what others might say, and how you'll answer them....has anyone ever actually asked you "why don't you have any friends?"....lots of people don't, you know....and there are a number of reasons...maybe you are just shy?....you should quit thinking about the coulda/shoulda/woulda s, and not be so afraid of what people will think or say...it could be very good...but you're denying yourself the chance to find out.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,832,475 times
I had this come up with a boyfriend when I was about your age and it was a very tense moment and I had no choice but to explain that I didn't have any friends but he still wanted to keep dating me so maybe it isn't as much of a turn-off as you think. This issue never came up again with anyone and life does change and at 53 I'm finding it easier than it ever was to make new friends. I know how you feel though b/c I went thru it too and youth is just. . . hard I think and I would never go back--not even to get good looking again.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 PM

433 posts, read 1,371,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
mtlquebec102...it seems to me that your fear of others finding out you have no friends....is the very reason...you have no friends....I'm thinking you need to quit worrying and trying to know beforehand what others might say, and how you'll answer them....has anyone ever actually asked you "why don't you have any friends?"....lots of people don't, you know....and there are a number of reasons...maybe you are just shy?....you should quit thinking about the coulda/shoulda/woulda s, and not be so afraid of what people will think or say...it could be very good...but you're denying yourself the chance to find out.
Could you not find an answer to what I asked you, so you came up with that ridiculous conclusion? How does that even make sense?? I said in my first it's because of misunderstandings with potential friends and my low social skills. I'm always trying to make friends with people and communicating with them, so how can that fear be the reason I have no friends?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 PM

506 posts, read 1,162,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Could you not find an answer to what I asked you, so you came up with that ridiculous conclusion? How does that even make sense?? I said in my first it's because of misunderstandings with potential friends and my low social skills. I'm always trying to make friends with people and communicating with them, so how can that fear be the reason I have no friends?
I'll tell you this, when I meet someone, the fact that he/she has tons of friends or no friends does not matter to me much. It would ranked number 17 on the list of the most important qualities behind the lenght of his/her hair.

There are tons of cool people who are loners. There are tons of idiots who has tons of friends. And anything in between.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Interesting. But if I told him that I never had the chance to get to know anyone, but I wish I did, doesn't that sound like I haven't been in my current city for long, when I've been living here my whole life? Or does it sound like I've always been a super busy guy or workaholic or something like that and I never bothered to get to know anyone?

Another thing, what you suggested as a response doesn't even answer this guy's question. That would be a response to why I don't have any friends, which I wasn't asked. But I'm assuming this response you suggested to me would come up after I tell him that I don't have any friends, right? But even as I get asked and answer the why-no-friends question, I'm sure I'd feel abit awkward and embarassed...
I'll try to answer you without sounding rediculous this time..ok?...1st question:NO..and quit "assuming" that it does, only YOU would think that about yourself......2nd question:It might...but most people won't make the assumptions that you think they will, why would they?...3rd question: Wrong,..and I highly doubt anyone would question you on the number of friends you have....that seems to be something you're assuming again.....you're your own worst enemy with your uncertainties, your assumptions ...and your fears....You gotta learn to relax, be yourself, and love yourself...so that others will too.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,047,419 times
Not everyone has friends.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:06 AM

37,158 posts, read 42,302,670 times
Listen up! "I'm not a very social person" is the answer you want. In fact use it regularly. I've found out that when I say that to people many take it as a personal challenge to socialize me! I suppose it makes me seem mysterious or something. I have only a couple close friends, one who lives nearby and one who lives out of state. I do socialize with other people but they are acquaintances and activity partners more than friends....but that's how it starts right?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 AM

23,270 posts, read 29,133,463 times
I've been in Las Vegas 16 years now, and still have no friends. My roommate of 13 years, that's it!
Co-workers? Hardly counts, as I've seen it too often, someone gets fired, quits, and what happened to the trail? You're soon forgotten!

Nothing to be ashamed of, in fact, those with oodles of friends (friends can, undeniably, be very time-consuming to have) may be secretly jealous of you, wishing they could leave of more peaceful life without friends robbing them of so much of their valuable time.

My books are my greatest of friends, shelves and shelves of them! When I want to revisit one, I just yank it off the shelf!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships