Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 AM

75 posts, read 107,374 times

Advertisements

One thing I have found to be true about most of my friends through the years is they are totally self absorbed. They love to talk about themselves, their friends, their coworkers, what they think, how they feel, but have little sincere interest in me. I know I should find better friends. Easier said than done.

As I moved around, started new jobs, people came and went but a constant is still most people I meet are self absorbed. I bring this up to my friends in a gentle way and ask them why they don't express more interest in what is going on with me, but never reach an understanding.

I am very interested in what is going on with them but they don't seem all that interested in me. (What interests me, what is going on in my life, my issues, problems, work, play and personal soup operas)

Am I expecting to much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
One thing I have found to be true about most of my friends through the years is they are totally self absorbed. They love to talk about themselves, their friends, their coworkers, what they think, how they feel, but have little sincere interest in me. I know I should find better friends. Easier said than done.

As I moved around, started new jobs, people came and went but a constant is still most people I meet are self absorbed. I bring this up to my friends in a gentle way and ask them why they don't express more interest in what is going on with me, but never reach an understanding.

I am very interested in what is going on with them but they don't seem all that interested in me. (What interests me, what is going on in my life, my issues, problems, work, play and personal soup operas)

Am I expecting to much?
People do love to tall about themselves for the most part. Most everyone wants to be seen in a positive light so talking about (Or talking up) thier accomplishments and life comes naturally at first. But A person who is interested in your side of it will ask questions. With friends, I ask them about their lives regarding work, family and their relationships and they do the same with me. Relationships and conversation-To me should be reciprocal.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
All of our friends know what is going on in each other's life's, it may be after the fact at times because of life getting in the way of our chatting and the fact that we live in different states but the important things are always made known. It may be a quick text or an email but it is out there and we do have 2 sided conversations not just one.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 AM

701 posts, read 1,562,487 times
Yes because I ask about their lives as well. That's what friends are supposed to do.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
regular folk....I don't think you're "asking too much"...... but they're your friends, you picked them, and I guess for them it is too much....your friends sound more like aquaintances than friends.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:10 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
I have never been the person any of my "friends" are interested in. Very few actually know anything about me. It has always been about them or one of their other friends/family from day one. Maybe it's because I talked less than other students. I guess I wasn't as interesting as the popular ones who were louder and more talkative than me. So no, I don't really expect them to ask any questions about my life. However, I have a strong feeling I'm going to famous one day and just know that I am going to be the "popular" one and everyone is going to be asking questions about me and my life then and wanting to be in my business.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
I think good friends talk to each other about themselves, yes. The way you can tell if they are a good friend or not is if they also ask you about how you are doing and what is going on in your life.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
A relationship is a two-way street. Your friends are on a one-way street. They are very self absorbed. I think I would sit them all down together and tell them what you think and feel and see if that helps. If not, you may want to consider new friends.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I don't think you're expecting too much, but the common denominator in all of this is you. This isn't really normal behavior, so why have you found yourself repeatedly in this situation?

I mean, I tend to be a chatterer because of the ADD, but I've trained myself to stop and ask people about themselves. I'm actually interested in their lives - I just used to have a habit of going off on "me" tangents. Still do, but I balance it out. But I'm thinking not everyone you know has undiagnosed ADD. So we're back to you. Do you gravitate towards this type for a reason?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
I have a friend who's like that--well actually, she's my neighbor. She's the only friend I have like that. The rest engage in true conversation rather than just talk about what they want to talk about. Overall, she's a very giving, kind person. So I look past the lopsided conversations we have. She's an only child. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Perhaps she's not use the to the spotlight not being on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships